Apple's Upcoming Music and TV Apps on Mac Revealed in Leaked Screenshots

Apple'sMessyProductLineup

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2018
Look at the inconsistency in design. Shocking. Search bar in the left pane in the music app. Search bar in the top right in the TV app. No reason for the difference. Just carelessness. Both should be in the left hand pane imo as it looks nice and clean, but at least make it consistent. Same for the back arrow placement. Same for the left pane extending all the way up in the Music app, but running into the top header bar in the TV app.

Awful. Totally amateur. This company used to pride itself on extreme attention to detail. I know it's cliché at this point, but this simply wouldn't have happened under Jobs. He was a perfectionist. It's increasingly clear that it was him all along that was responsible for the incredible design language that typified Apple right up until his death. Jony Ive looking more and more like a fraud with every passing day. I know this is software, but he's a major player in design at Apple and both hardware and software have nosedived in quality since 2012.

It was always Jobs.

redheeler

macrumors 604
Oct 17, 2014
"Music on macOS 10.15 retains the ability to sync a user’s devices such as iPhones and iPods. Devices show up in the sidebar just like they do on iTunes." Please restore your PC replacement called iPad Pro using THE MUSIC APP.
Yeah, syncing and restoring devices in an app called iTunes (or Music) made sense back when the devices were primarily music players, but that hasn't been the case for years...

I second @ThisBougieLife, bring back iSync.

stoopkidblues

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2014
Now that they’re decoupling the music content from the video content, one logical next step might be to just unite users local music, apple music streaming service, and iTunes music store under one banner, the appropriately named iTunes. Tunes, music. Logical. The original iOS configuration wasn’t bad either, with the “Videos” app containing both TV and Movies. Add to it “Music Videos”, and provide streaming music videos by genre, and you’ve recreated the best thing MTV ever was. Add a scrolling chat under the videos and you’ve made half of YouTube irrelevant. But change the name. Naming a computer application that plays all kings of videos “TV” is weird, unless it’s a Television, which it isn’t. And Apple TV is already taken.
I said the same thing: Apple Music and Apple Video(s). I thought TV wasn’t a good catchall for the exact reasons you mentioned: what about videos/music videos/ etc. I get trying to tie the service in with the hardware, but I think since already have a physical Apple TV it would make more sense to just have a Videos standalone app with possibly adding the “TV” portion as a sep category like News/News+.
[doublepost=1559152226][/doublepost]As long as I can still edit/organize my library to my liking (even Apple Music tracks, not just my own files) then I’ll be okay with this.

So far at least.

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
If this is a complete teardown and rebuild like with iPhoto to Photos, I hope they don't leave too much out on the initial release.

Shouldn’t Apple have started over by buying jriver
How would buying a piece of software older than iTunes itself qualify as starting over?
All I care and wish is to have genius back. That was the killer feature of iTunes... :/
Genius is still there, though? Every day I get activity in iTunes saying "Delivering Your Genius Results".

miniroll32

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2010
Note the article says that the Music app is "based on iTunes". Not sure what they're hinting at, but please for the love of God don't say it's the same code as iTunes...

riptidewahoo

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
As a DJ, I'm glad it appears the new music app is not going to dramatically change my workflow of getting music into my DJ software.

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Amen. It’s going to be great to be able buy movies and TV shows directly from the Apple TV app now. :D

And with that, hoping they completely and entirely remove the TV store front in iTunes and leave iTunes for just “tunes”
From what I understand this new Music app isn't going to "replace" iTunes. iTunes will still be available, but this will be the preferred app.

JetLaw

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2009
So is the expectation that this will immediately replace iTunes, or do you think they'll exist side-by-side for awhile?

KALLT

macrumors 601
Sep 23, 2008
So is the expectation that this will immediately replace iTunes, or do you think they'll exist side-by-side for awhile?
Considering that Apple has two versions of iTunes now, I expect Apple to keep iTunes around, especially if these new apps are not complete replacements.

Reactions: JetLaw

petvas

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2006
Mannheim, Germany
TV app is fine. Music app needs to maintain the music features we had from iTunes over the years. Please don't skip out on stuff like iWork did when first redesigned.
I agree but I am afraid that this is exactly what will happen here. Apple will just put iTunes in a folder somewhere in macOS, so if people need features like smart playlists (which I use a lot), they will have to continue using iTunes.
I do not think that the new Apple Music app will have any advanced features, and judging by the leaked image, it certainly doesn't look like it. The only good think about it is that we don't really know when this screenshot of the app was taken, and how advanced the development of the app is. Maybe Apple will add more features in (or has already added) in newer builds. I guess that we will know more next week, after the WWDC keynote..
The TV app on the other hand looks ok, much better than what we currently have (namely nothing).

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Literally cannot wait to see how it f***s up my carefully-curated library.
:( I'll wait and see what the update brings and does and carefully consider if it's worth it. But seeing how recent mac OS updates don't bring any huge new features, it's definitely not worth upgrading if they bring more problems than solutions and features.

Reactions: Mr Todhunter

farmboy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Minnesota
Below is a screen shot of my Anti-Grav vehicle:

(Redacted for possible intellectual property reasons, or to prevent Asian early copiers)