Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NordicBoots

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2019
YES!!!
I found a ready-to-use ThemeEngine app. So I am a step further now.
Now, I'm afraid I need something like "Finding all assets for Dummies". :(

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Many thanks for sharing the files, Allan!
I tried to get ThemeEngine up and running and tried to follow these steps:
"ThemeEngine for the rest of us" [It seems I can't insert a link...]
But I end up with an XCode screen waiting for me to do something... but I don't to how to proceed.
So, a compiled .car-file would be great.
Many thanks again in advance!

Here's a compiled Assets.car file for macOS Mojave 10.14.6 with the changed Apple logo:

Also, I would advise you to check out this link for a newer version of ThemeEngine(more or less same build number as the already released one) that can change the background on Finder windows:

Attachments

• applelogo-screenshot.png
    applelogo-screenshot.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 242

NordicBoots

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2019
I'm trying hard to create contributions for you in return, guys, but I'm puzzled.
So far, I am only able to make changes in the image itself (after sending it to the editor).
If I try to copy an existing image into the image itself, Photoshop creates a new layer. Even if I delete the original one or if I merge the layers, the system doesn't recognize the newly created image (after receiving it from the editor).
I tried the trick with the "alt" and "cmd" buttons pressed, but again an extra layer is introduced.
What am I doing wrong? Please... help.
Btw: I'm using ThemeEngine 1.0.0 and running macOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra).

NordicBoots

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2019
Is it really true that one can only modify the original image from a .car-file?
Or do we have to do an extra step (like compiling)? And how is that done in that case?
I'm still puzzled. :(

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Is it really true that one can only modify the original image from a .car-file?
Or do we have to do an extra step (like compiling)? And how is that done in that case?
I'm still puzzled. :(

Hey -- I read your comment a bit after you posted it but I got sidetracked.. There should not be that much trouble changing images especially not on a High Sierra installation I think of that as the last known good macOS to theme using ThemeEngine and such.

Your procedure is to Send to Photoshop from within ThemeEngine - Edit the image and Retrieve from Photoshop again!? But the new stuff doesn't come over? Because of New Layers? Personally I haven't used Photoshop for the longest time since it's a costly affair to subscribe. But it should be that much of a hassle.

Can you try and elaborate even more - if you're trying to create a whole new image you should just disable the imported image from ThemeEngine to Photoshop and begin working on a new layer or Clear out the canvas for the said image. For High Sierra no compiling is needed. You can edit more freely using that version of macOS. Mojave and beyond is trickier. I can't theme on Catalina at all because ThemeEngine just straight up crashes on opening a .car file. I haven't tried this more recent Public Beta of Catalina so I'm basing my experience on a few betas ago.

NordicBoots

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2019
Hey -- I read your comment a bit after you posted it but I got sidetracked.. There should not be that much trouble changing images especially not on a High Sierra installation I think of that as the last known good macOS to theme using ThemeEngine and such.

Your procedure is to Send to Photoshop from within ThemeEngine - Edit the image and Retrieve from Photoshop again!? But the new stuff doesn't come over? Because of New Layers? Personally I haven't used Photoshop for the longest time since it's a costly affair to subscribe. But it should be that much of a hassle.

Can you try and elaborate even more - if you're trying to create a whole new image you should just disable the imported image from ThemeEngine to Photoshop and begin working on a new layer or Clear out the canvas for the said image. For High Sierra no compiling is needed. You can edit more freely using that version of macOS. Mojave and beyond is trickier. I can't theme on Catalina at all because ThemeEngine just straight up crashes on opening a .car file. I haven't tried this more recent Public Beta of Catalina so I'm basing my experience on a few betas ago.
Hey Allan,

Thanks a lot for your clear explanation. Glad that I didn't miss a step.
Because I have to rely on a kind of "trial and error" - method, it takes some time to find solutions for the issues I encounter.
I also tried to modify the images with Graphic Converter, but with the same results.
But I made some progress... thanks to you! Indeed, I have to erase the original image and paste the new one on the original canvas before exporting it to the .car-files.
Many thanks for all your efforts to make our digital life more pleasant. Much appreciated!
I will continue to elaborate.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Is there a way to change the (blue) accent color in High Sierra?

I believe there is. I remember it as being a font-thing so that you have to venture into uncharted waters and switch over to that section. I try not to lead you on, but there are so many things in that section that relates to color through out the OS. And it might occur there rather than as a single graphic file. If not in VibrantLightAppearance then in SystemAppearance.

NordicBoots

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2019
Perhaps I have found the element "Mica: Selection" within "Raw Data", but I don't know how I can modify it.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Perhaps I have found the element "Mica: Selection" within "Raw Data", but I don't know how I can modify it.

Now that I can open ThemeEngine on Catalina and edit the car files I can see that there's at least two places where the highlight reside; In SystemAppearance there's the 'Effects' section and the Text Highlight Image - which looks like a Font Image. And, then over in the 'Colors' section there's quite a few things to change, perhaps the systemBlueColor is one of the things you should look at.

The Mica images can be edited using later versions of ThemeEngine that can import CoreAnimation Archives (.caar)

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
Now that I can open ThemeEngine on Catalina and edit the car files I can see that there's at least two places where the highlight reside; In SystemAppearance there's the 'Effects' section and the Text Highlight Image - which looks like a Font Image. And, then over in the 'Colors' section there's quite a few things to change, perhaps the systemBlueColor is one of the things you should look at.

The Mica images can be edited using later versions of ThemeEngine that can import CoreAnimation Archives (.caar)

has anything changed in Catalina regarding theming? Is it worse or better than Mojave?

NordicBoots

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2019

Allan, you are GREAT!
Thanks for your help again.
Unfortunately, all my efforts in trying to change the accent color don't lead to a solution so far.
As a matter of fact, I can't discover the Text Highlight Image in the Effects section... nor in another section. Probably this is not available in High Sierra. Also changing different color entries don't change the accent color so far; even after downloading version 111 of ThemeEngine.
Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but thanks anyway.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Allan, you are GREAT!
Thanks for your help again.
Unfortunately, all my efforts in trying to change the accent color don't lead to a solution so far.
As a matter of fact, I can't discover the Text Highlight Image in the Effects section... nor in another section. Probably this is not available in High Sierra. Also changing different color entries don't change the accent color so far; even after downloading version 111 of ThemeEngine.
Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but thanks anyway.

What about "alternateSelectionBlueColor" - I just looked at the High Sierra 10.13.4 car files and see that there is an entry like that there. And just so that we're clear, the accent color is that gradient on a menu when you hover over it? Is so, then that's also a place where that should be changed. There's a Menu_MenuItemHighlight entry too in SystemAppearance which gets you in the mood for some gradient-shifting action :)

Last edited:

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
has anything changed in Catalina regarding theming? Is it worse or better than Mojave?

So far theming is about the same and not worse than Mojave but there isn't much of an opening for theming from Apple in Catalina. We're stuck with the same as with 10.14. This is just my initial testing(which began fairly recent; today)
High Sierra was the last known good theming OS for me as it didn't require much clowning around except for the usual stuff like margins.
What you needed for 10.13 was a graphics editor - now you also need a coding editor or some elaborate way of making a CoreAnimation Archive. I'm not complaining as that'll get me nowhere fast.

NordicBoots

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2019
I've tried these entries already with no luck.
Yes, I am referring to the blue highlight as shown on the attachment.
We'll keep on trying.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 21.21.45.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 21.21.45.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 217

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
I've tried these entries already with no luck.
Yes, I am referring to the blue highlight as shown on the attachment.
We'll keep on trying.

Yup, that's the gradient I was writing about. And of course there's Menubar Image and Menubar Text within the Effects panel which you can switch to through the 4 icons down the lower left. Have fun.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-10-08 at 21.28.44.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-08 at 21.28.44.png
    436.2 KB · Views: 281

NordicBoots

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2019
Yes, I tried to play around with these items, but nothing happened. I'm sorry.
[automerge]1570572779[/automerge]
Is there a way to copy an element (with its renditions) from one .car-file to the other?

NordicBoots

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2019
Well, I tried but I can't copy an element. With "copy" and "paste" I am only able to copy renditions (image).
And it is not possible (with my configuration) to add an element by clicking on the "+"-sign.
Do I have a bad configuration?

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Well, I tried but I can't copy an element. With "copy" and "paste" I am only able to copy renditions (image).
And it is not possible (with my configuration) to add an element by clicking on the "+"-sign.
Do I have a bad configuration?

I don't believe that the + sign for adding an element has ever worked. I don't think you have a bad config.

NordicBoots

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2019
Yup, that's the gradient I was writing about. And of course there's Menubar Image and Menubar Text within the Effects panel which you can switch to through the 4 icons down the lower left. Have fun.
Pulling my hair out!
That accent-color is being changed to grey by each GraphiteAppearance.car-file... but I can't find which element or rendition does the trick.
I also tried to change the "font"-items, but that accent-color does not change.

Reactions: bhtwo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.