Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Pulling my hair out!
That accent-color is being changed to grey by each GraphiteAppearance.car-file... but I can't find which element or rendition does the trick.
I also tried to change the "font"-items, but that accent-color does not change.

Does this help? Taken from a 10.15 SystemAppearance but it exists in the 10.13 version too.

Screenshot 2019-10-11 at 16.37.35.png

NordicBoots

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2019
Does this help? Taken from a 10.15 SystemAppearance but it exists in the 10.13 version too.

View attachment 868622
Thanks, but it doesn't affect the desired selection color.
I also tried to change the grey one into orange... but that remains grey.
There has to be some item.
[automerge]1570820671[/automerge]
By the way: these elements are not present in the GraphiteAppearance.car.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Thanks, but it doesn't affect the desired selection color.
I also tried to change the grey one into orange... but that remains grey.
There has to be some item.
[automerge]1570820671[/automerge]
By the way: these elements are not present in the GraphiteAppearance.car.
Ah. I remember why. It’s probably because of the new transparency in macOS. Turn that off and your changes will show. With accents on Mojave these can be altered but earlier macOS has issues without turning off transparency.

NordicBoots

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2019
Aha... indeed, that made the change for at least one part.
I'll check out the other ones tomorrow.
Thanks again!

NordicBoots

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2019
So far, I am not able to change the other part (selection in list); only the first part (selection in menu bar).
I'm afraid the second part has to be done in the Raw Data part, which I can't modify.

NordicBoots

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2019
I managed to change the traffic lights of iTunes, but can't find them for iMovie.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
I managed to change the traffic lights of iTunes, but can't find them for iMovie.
Any suggestions?

I haven't found them as of yet - There's a slew of interesting .car files around Catalina but I haven't found any that controls iMovie. I am trying to see if the DarkAquaAppearances car will help.

Edit: nope, not on Catalina at least.

NordicBoots

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2019
If there are nowhere to be found inside Resources folder, maybe iMovie uses system window control buttons?
Probably, but all other traffic lights have changed... except the ones for iMovie.
[automerge]1571078375[/automerge]
I haven't found them as of yet - There's a slew of interesting .car files around Catalina but I haven't found any that controls iMovie. I am trying to see if the DarkAquaAppearances car will help.

Edit: nope, not on Catalina at least.
That would be great; although I am using High Sierra.
Okay, I see.

NordicBoots

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2019
Ah. I remember why. It’s probably because of the new transparency in macOS. Turn that off and your changes will show. With accents on Mojave these can be altered but earlier macOS has issues without turning off transparency.
Right! I've got all accent colours now as expected. Thanks again!
Oops! Cheered too early!
The dark blue one (Snooze), which appears at Notifications seems to be derived from "Mica: Selection" and/or "Mica: Selection-Opaque" at the Raw Data section. But I still don't know how I can modify these entries.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 09.00.14.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 09.00.14.png
    27.1 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

NordicBoots

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2019
Based on the SystemAppearance from Allan, I'm trying to create a "full monty" GraphiteAppearance.
But it introduces a misalignment of the text on buttons. I'm sure I've read one or more items about that phenomenon, but I can't find it anymore.
Would you be so kind to assist me?
Cheers!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 19.35.52.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 19.35.52.png
    42 KB · Views: 194

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Based on the SystemAppearance from Allan, I'm trying to create a "full monty" GraphiteAppearance.
But it introduces a misalignment of the text on buttons. I'm sure I've read one or more items about that phenomenon, but I can't find it anymore.
Would you be so kind to assist me?
Cheers!

Have you actually changed the style on the buttons yet? I think these are the "small" variant of the buttons there?
I'll look into this - I think you have to move the margins around if I remember correctly. Margins are very sensitive to the slightest off-setting. macOS doesn't tolerate much out-of-ordinary.
[automerge]1571483533[/automerge]
Right! I've got all accent colours now as expected. Thanks again!
Oops! Cheered too early!
The dark blue one (Snooze), which appears at Notifications seems to be derived from "Mica: Selection" and/or "Mica: Selection-Opaque" at the Raw Data section. But I still don't know how I can modify these entries.

Could be that you need to change the systemBlueColor in VibrantLightAppearance to which ever color you choose. Or change it in AccessibilityVibrantLightAppearance

NordicBoots

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2019
Have you actually changed the style on the buttons yet? I think these are the "small" variant of the buttons there?
I'll look into this - I think you have to move the margins around if I remember correctly. Margins are very sensitive to the slightest off-setting. macOS doesn't tolerate much out-of-ordinary.

Could be that you need to change the systemBlueColor in VibrantLightAppearance to which ever color you choose. Or change it in AccessibilityVibrantLightAppearance
Actually, I've only changed the color of the buttons and didn't resize them or something like that.
I'm feeling a bit stupid, but how can I change the systemBlueColor in VibrantLightAppearance or in AccessibilityVibrantLightAppearance?

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Actually, I've only changed the color of the buttons and didn't resize them or something like that.
I'm feeling a bit stupid, but how can I change the systemBlueColor in VibrantLightAppearance or in AccessibilityVibrantLightAppearance?

Don't feel stupid because macOS High Sierra does things - moving things around, margin wise, even by just importing an exact match to the existing graphics. Even just a color change provokes macOS that much. You have "only" the option left to change the ZZZAssets category for the buttons. It's a fun hunt for the actual files but once you do that the buttons are aligned correct with text and all. It's probably more a way that ThemeEngine does what it does than macOS - but because ThemeEngine is so visual and right now there's little left to try - I think this is what we have. You could try exercising your color changing with this: macOS Appearance Color Changer by Dominik Bucher

NordicBoots

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2019
Don't feel stupid because macOS High Sierra does things - moving things around, margin wise, even by just importing an exact match to the existing graphics. Even just a color change provokes macOS that much. You have "only" the option left to change the ZZZAssets category for the buttons. It's a fun hunt for the actual files but once you do that the buttons are aligned correct with text and all. It's probably more a way that ThemeEngine does what it does than macOS - but because ThemeEngine is so visual and right now there's little left to try - I think this is what we have. You could try exercising your color changing with this: macOS Appearance Color Changer by Dominik Bucher
Thanks again for being patient with me.
In the meantime I understood what you meant with changing the systemBlueColor's. I'll give it a try.
Mmm... what exactly is the function of those ZZZAssets? Anyway I'll go trying changing the position of the buttons in these categories.

NordicBoots

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2019
Thanks again for being patient with me.
In the meantime I understood what you meant with changing the systemBlueColor's. I'll give it a try.
Mmm... what exactly is the function of those ZZZAssets? Anyway I'll go trying changing the position of the buttons in these categories.
Changing the systemBlueColor's didn't help, but I will keep on searching.

NordicBoots

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2019

As a matter of fact, I found the item that defines the dark blue color at Notifications (see attachment). It is stored in "Mica: Selection-Opaque" (Raw Data). But I still don't know how to modify it.
[automerge]1571576375[/automerge]

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
As a matter of fact, I found the item that defines the dark blue color at Notifications (see attachment). It is stored in "Mica: Selection-Opaque" (Raw Data). But I still don't know how to modify it.
[automerge]1571576375[/automerge]

You can modify the Mica sections and their assets by first making the color you want with my Xcode project(updated this morning with RGB colors instead of using SystemColors only) https://jumpshare.com/v/2sAEJrJr7lQwsLODbh1x

And then download the version of ThemeEngine that allows to import the CAAR files created by the code from here https://www.deviantart.com/allannyholm/art/ExplorationThemingForMojave-798442129
(Note: Mica assets would like CoreAnimationArchives instead of directly dragging over PNG files)
The version in the DeviantArt download directly above includes an older version of the Xcode project that only accepts SystemUI colors; Green, Blue, Orange etc. The first link is updated to accept regular RGB color; 0,0,0 for instance. You can see how it's laid out in the code.

Also, this is a version of ThemeEngine for macOS Catalina
Download ThemeEngine for Catalina

One more note.. create the CoreAnimationArchive as long as the width of the max width of a 27" retina monitor of 5120x2880. That is 2560. The height is to be set at much as the height is required. I think a height of 256px is OK - less might do too.

Last edited:

NordicBoots

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2019
You can modify the Mica sections and their assets by first making the color you want with my Xcode project(updated this morning with RGB colors instead of using SystemColors only) https://jumpshare.com/v/2sAEJrJr7lQwsLODbh1x

And then download the version of ThemeEngine that allows to import the CAAR files created by the code from here https://www.deviantart.com/allannyholm/art/ExplorationThemingForMojave-798442129
(Note: Mica assets would like CoreAnimationArchives instead of directly dragging over PNG files)
The version in the DeviantArt download directly above includes an older version of the Xcode project that only accepts SystemUI colors; Green, Blue, Orange etc. The first link is updated to accept regular RGB color; 0,0,0 for instance. You can see how it's laid out in the code.

Also, this is a version of ThemeEngine for macOS Catalina
Download ThemeEngine for Catalina

One more note.. create the CoreAnimationArchive as long as the width of the max width of a 27" retina monitor of 5120x2880. That is 2560. The height is to be set at much as the height is required. I think a height of 256px is OK - less might do too.
Oh boy... I'm afraid this is too difficult for me.

NordicBoots

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2019
Nothing else than to see if it works.
Wow! That is very generous of you.
Although I didn't finish my greenish theme yet (still not managed to align the buttons for instance), I would be very grateful if you can change these inaccessible items for me:
Please, if it is not too much trouble for you, can you change the colours in the "Mica: Selection" and the "Mica: Selection-Opaque" within the file SystemAppearance (green).car according to the following modifications (in hex):
247dfc (blue) into 60C356 (green);
1e68d3 (blue) into 269a22 (green);
0d417e (blue) into 1a6917 (green);
072e58 (blue) into 0e380c (green).
Thank you very very much in advance!!!
Please let me know if I can do something for you in return (still).

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Wow! That is very generous of you.
Although I didn't finish my greenish theme yet (still not managed to align the buttons for instance), I would be very grateful if you can change these inaccessible items for me:
Please, if it is not too much trouble for you, can you change the colours in the "Mica: Selection" and the "Mica: Selection-Opaque" within the file SystemAppearance (green).car according to the following modifications (in hex):
247dfc (blue) into 60C356 (green);
1e68d3 (blue) into 269a22 (green);
0d417e (blue) into 1a6917 (green);
072e58 (blue) into 0e380c (green).
Thank you very very much in advance!!!
Please let me know if I can do something for you in return (still).

try this archive archive with changed Mica Selections

edit.. I'd like to say that since I needed the RGB values I converted the Hex values, with ColorWell, to RGB values. So there. If there's a slight difference in color(because using a color picker here on a P3 display was a bit different than what you would have had an idea about; more colorful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.