Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017

If AQUADock can visually transform Leopard into Mountain Lion, then we can build a simple automated script to optimize Tiger.

More to come. (Probably.)

Good news everyone! More has come!

A simple automated script has been built that optimizes Tiger!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

After an exhaustive amount of research and trial / error, I've devised several scripts that effectively combine our collective findings to increase performance on Tiger thus far that automatically removes AudioIPCDriver and redundant kexts, while disabling BeamSync, thus increasing graphical performance. Enter (the NEW) AquaTrimcelerator.

From a fresh install, this results in a small speed increase in boot times, Finder operations, application launching, and other all-around usages.

I've also included an undo script that replaces everything AquaTrimcelerator has removed. Bundled are also scripts to disable Spotlight and optimize network speeds, among installers for Monolingual and ShadowKiller, plus a revised AquaTips ported over from AquaSuite.

Needless to say, I think this is the closest G3 machines will ever come to Snow Leopard, at least in terms of optimization and compatibility.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The new AquaTrimcelerator is available on Macintosh Garden.

Last edited:

Raging Dufus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
Kansas USA
automatically disables Dashboard

noooooooooooooooooooooo

upload_2019-8-2_15-34-41.jpeg

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The only Mac I have running 10.4.11 is my G3 server. But it's running 10.4.11 Server.

Will this work on 10.4.11 Server or it it solely for regular Tiger (client)?

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
The only Mac I have running 10.4.11 is my G3 server. But it's running 10.4.11 Server.

Will this work on 10.4.11 Server or it it solely for regular Tiger (client)?

It was designed for Client, but unless Server has any special components, it should be fine.

Worst case scenario, you could just run the reversal script and everything will be put back where it was.

Reactions: eyoungren

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Unfortunately, on a Pismo with G4 550MHz, 1GB RAM and 64GB SSD there wasn't much difference, even after several reboots to update caches.
Boot time was no different, TFF took the same time to load and disk read / writes speeds were unchanged, so I have reverted to the original config.

Cheers :)

Hugh

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It was designed for Client, but unless Server has any special components, it should be fine.

Worst case scenario, you could just run the reversal script and everything will be put back where it was.
So…took a crack at this and it seems to be working. Will see how things go.

Took a while for the Mac to come back up after restarting. I assume it was updating caches. The problem I have is that I run my G3 headless so there is no way to tell what is going on once my VNC connection goes offline.

But it all came back up, I logged in and iTunes is running (shares my library) so all looks good.

Reactions: z970

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Any plans for a TenFiveTrim for G4/G5s?
That might be a little tricky considering users here have different opinions about what that would entail.

For instance, a TenFiveTrim to me might disable safe sleep and remove Spotlight. To you, that might be unnecessary and unwanted.

There are a lot more variables with Leopard.

Raging Dufus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
Kansas USA
Am I the only person 'across the pond' who had difficulty with the unfamilar expression wazoo?

Not at all!

From the New Oxford American Dictionary included with the U.S. version of Mac OS 10.5 Leopard:

wazoo |wäˈzoō|
noun informal
the anus.
PHRASES
up (or out)the wazoo very much; in great quantity; to a great degree : he's insured out the wazoo | Jack and I have got work up the wazoo already.​

[Emphasis mine.]
Makes me proud to be an American! :D

Reactions: Project Alice

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
From the New Oxford American Dictionary included with the U.S. version of Mac OS 10.5 Leopard:

wazoo |wäˈzoō|
noun informal
the anus.
PHRASES
up (or out)the wazoo very much; in great quantity; to a great degree : he's insured out the wazoo | Jack and I have got work up the wazoo already.​

[Emphasis mine.]
Makes me proud to be an American! :D

Well, to me the phrase, "then we can build a simple automated script to optimize Tiger out the wazoo," makes fine sense in the context of, in great quantity or to a great degree.
Your other ref (which I see confirmed by the Urban dictionary), however still has me foxed how that relates to very much/in great quantity/to a great degree.
Makes me think of the following comment, 'England and America, two countries divided by a common language', often attributed to George Bernard Shaw.
I'm sure GBS wouldn't have known his wazoo from his elbow. Makes me even prouder to be a Brit......;)

Raging Dufus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
Kansas USA
Well, to me the phrase, "then we can build a simple automated script to optimize Tiger out the wazoo," makes fine sense in the context of, in great quantity or to a great degree.
Your other ref (which I see confirmed by the Urban dictionary), however still has me foxed how that relates to very much/in great quantity/to a great degree.
Makes me think of the following comment, 'England and America, two countries divided by a common language', often attributed to George Bernard Shaw.
I'm sure GBS wouldn't have known his wazoo from his elbow. Makes me even prouder to be a Brit......;)

This may help to explain the American usage of the term as anatomical slang. Or perhaps confuse non-Americans even further, I don't know, but for what it's worth:

Reactions: CooperBox

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
That might be a little tricky considering users here have different opinions about what that would entail.

For instance, a TenFiveTrim to me might disable safe sleep and remove Spotlight. To you, that might be unnecessary and unwanted.

There are a lot more variables with Leopard.
Aside from killing Dashboard, it would be a safer script than TFT. It will remove functionality of less, because more people with broader needs are using Leopard, and speed increases are typically more noticeable due to Leopard's larger overhead than Tiger's.

Although it will take a longer R&D period to refine.

Last edited:

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
I'll try this out soon, but first, what breaks with iChat? I use it for Bonjour and Jabber with my Mac OS X Server around the house.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.