Are any of y'all using a 6 Plus at the gym?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by youradhere4222, Sep 22, 2014.

1. youradhere4222 macrumors 6502

I have a 6 and I'm thinking about returning it for the 6 Plus. I tried it in the store and I have no problems with the size. It fits well in my pocket and I have long fingers that are pretty capable of reaching all corners of the screen.

My only qualm is that I often go to the gym and run with my iPhone in hand. I use it for listening to music but also like having it to track workout information, map my runs, etc. The iPhone 6 seems like it can still be used for this, but the 6 Plus might be unwieldy while running.

Does anyone have experience with this yet? Is the 6 Plus too much of a beast to hold in your hand for a few miles? I'm weary about using armbands but I'm willing to hear suggestions.

2. techiebug macrumors 6502a

I'd use an armband, but it'd be a huge armband lol... Maybe you should buy a sweat pants/shorts with zip pocket

3. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

4. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I've been on more than one 5K and watched girls running the entire race holding their S5's. I'm pretty sure you could also do that. Myself, I would go with an armband or fit belt of some sort. Hopefully, more solutions will be brought to market soon.

5. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

You may wanna wait for the Iwatch ........that big phone in the gym is nonsense

6. Harvey Specter macrumors regular

Harvey Specter

7. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

I'm too fat for that belt apparently. Any other options?

8. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Check yourself and get yourself some new pants

[​IMG]

9. CarboysDesire macrumors 6502a

CarboysDesire

I took mine for the first time yesterday. I did legs so it was easy to put the phone on my lap or tuck it into my shorts. But when I hopped on the treadmill I refrained from running and just walked briskly.

I ordered an armband and it arrived a day ahead of the Plus. It's too big!!! I hated it. I sent it back today. It looked ridiculous.

I have a super thin waist belt on order. It's like a money belt. We'll see if that works better. If it doesn't I'll probably use my old 4S as an iPod at the gym and leave the Plus in my car. My gym has free wifi so it won't be that bad.

I knew this would be an issue but I decided not to let one hour per day decide which size phone to get. I work out 6 days per week.

10. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

11. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

I worked out fine today without issues with my 6 plus. Although I lift weights, I rarely run, when i do run I hold my phone as well which I haven't tried with the 6 plus yet. I bet it will definitely be too huge of a phone to hold for that long. Actually thinking about exchanging it for a 6.

12. gameboy213 macrumors 6502

gameboy213

I have been using an armband since Friday that I bought on Amazon. It said it would fit the Galaxy 3 which is pretty much the same size. Works great. Don't really mind it at all surprisingly. Wasn't expensive either.

----------

Which one fits the Plus?

13. kjparfekt macrumors regular

kjparfekt

Compression short pockets are way better than an arm band. My shorts have a thigh and hip pocket and I use Bluetooth headphones so the combo is perfect for lifting and running. However, I would feel much safer using my MP3 player.

14. enthawizeguy macrumors 6502

first time using it at the gym tonight. it actually falls out of my pocket less when lifting and fit well in my gym shorts.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My shorts have a pocket in the back, but I have a shuffle for working out.

Much cheaper to replace.

16. NeilSpoon macrumors member

The watch wont work without the phone?

17. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

You need a backpack for that 6+ to trot around the gym. That or a luggage on wheels. :D

18. Koziakauzu macrumors member

19. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

The only problem I had with my 6 Plus at the gym was sitting down doing a row exercise. Anything that involved sitting didn't really work out too well with it staying in my basketball shorts, so I'm just going to use my 5s @ the gym for music, and leave my phone in my book bag or locker.

20. yukari macrumors regular

Ditto! I can't see how you can run 5 miles or more (my typically running distance) with 6+ in your hand. You would have to get a flexbelt or something similar for running.

21. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

I got Adidas pants that got a zipper on the pocket. I put my phone in, close the zipper, voila!

22. Munitalp macrumors 65816

23. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

Used my6 plus at the gym the times already and once for a 5 mile run using an armband. No problem at all. Felt no less ridiculous or unstable than my 5S.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Backpack at the gym? I think that will certainly interfere with a workout.