Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freddisier

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2016
the battery life is terrible though. for some reason it cannot last 3 hours of playing full HD videos, not even 4k.

anthony13

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2012
Slight issue appeared with mine yesterday. The screen has an intermittent 'footlight' issue. I haven't heard of this happening to apple laptops for years. Making a genius appointment, sure I'll get it fixed.

anthony13

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2012
What the heck is a footlight issue?

This isn't mine but it's a good example of what it looks like. It's as though every other light is out.

Attachments

• IMG_5145.JPG
    IMG_5145.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 201

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Just opened the box on a build to order 2017 15 "
Screen A030 panel / keyboard/ housing ...perfect
I know folks with stock machines with issues,
But this unit I couldn't be happier

shansoft

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2011
Just opened the box on a build to order 2017 15 "
Screen A030 panel / keyboard/ housing ...perfect
I know folks with stock machines with issues,
But this unit I couldn't be happier

Make a gray background and cover the middle part of the screen with something, compare the left and right. You won't say it's perfect anymore... ;)

Pink and Yellow tint on both side for all 2016-2017 machine.

lockerc18

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2012
Make a gray background and cover the middle part of the screen with something, compare the left and right. You won't say it's perfect anymore... ;)

I did that on my 2017. No problem at all. This display is perfect. Perhaps it's the only one in existence like that, but I really, honestly have no issues with this display.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011

Looks fine even and balanced
Tried white black red green and blue too. All is well

iShane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2006
New York -> SF
I have a 2016 (essentially the same thing?) base model 15". Coming from a base 2010 13" MBP, obviously a huge upgrade. That being said, I do have a few complaints:

-Performance isn't what I personally think it should be. I don't use the machine for anything too intense, and I find it to lag in the strangest of times (beach ball and all...)
-I take care of my machines, and already have noticed some light scratching in the finish and some a small indent on the side of the lid (happened first few weeks, no idea how it got there.) I guess I worry about quality in general.
-Battery life should really be a lot better.

That being said, there are a lot of positives for me:
-Display is amazing
-Audio quality is impressive
-I really like the touch bar a lot, and find it super useful
-I like the keyboard
-I've grown to like USB-C and not really miss the "missing" ports
-It's a beautiful machine overall

I think it's a great machine, just a bit pricey for what it is.

iregret

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2012
Thanks. I used to do the same thing for my MBP 2007 17". I used ScreenSavrz from Radtech.

https://www.radtech.com/products/screensavrz-macbook-pro-keyboard-cover

I have something similar (different brand) on my 2013 MacBook Pro. I've got a 2017 15" MacBook Pro on the way and was planning on just using my current one. Then I noticed in your link that the 15" version only covers the keyboard part.

Is there not enough clearance to fit a full size cloth in there? Do I need to order a new one that only covers the key's themselves?

Thanks!

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I have something similar (different brand) on my 2013 MacBook Pro. I've got a 2017 15" MacBook Pro on the way and was planning on just using my current one. Then I noticed in your link that the 15" version only covers the keyboard part.

Is there not enough clearance to fit a full size cloth in there? Do I need to order a new one that only covers the key's themselves?

Thanks!

I don't have a 2017 15" MBP to test. Let's see if other forum users have tried it. Personally I would get a keyboard cover instead as I don't want to scratch the keys with my fingernails nor have the paint on the keys worn off over time.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
I don't have a 2017 15" MBP to test. Let's see if other forum users have tried it. Personally I would get a keyboard cover instead as I don't want to scratch the keys with my fingernails nor have the paint on the keys worn off over time.

How long/sharp are your finger nails? Also what paint? It's black plastic with backlit cutouts.

I wouldn't get a keyboard cover because I don't want to put unnecessary stress onto the display whenever I close it, and especially when it's in my bag.

Side note not directed in this reply:

People who buy something new then immediately cover it up to keep it 'new', are these the same people who buy a new sofa then put a cover over it? Or lay a new lovely carpet then put that horrible plastic stuff over it?

Reactions: MrGuder

iregret

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2012
How long/sharp are your finger nails? Also what paint? It's black plastic with backlit cutouts.

I wouldn't get a keyboard cover because I don't want to put unnecessary stress onto the display whenever I close it, and especially when it's in my bag.

People who buy something new then immediately cover it up to keep it 'new', are these the same people who buy a new sofa then put a cover over it? Or lay a new lovely carpet then put that horrible plastic stuff over it?
I’ve never worn off the paint on my keyboards. What am I doing wrong?

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I’ve never worn off the paint on my keyboards. What am I doing wrong?
Are you not dipping your fingers in muriatic acid before you type? You have to type quickly before your fingers get all itchy and need to be rinsed off though...

On topic, I have had zero issues so far with my 2017 15" MBP.

iregret

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2012
Are you not dipping your fingers in muriatic acid before you type? You have to type quickly before your fingers get all itchy and need to be rinsed off though...

On topic, I have had zero issues so far with my 2017 15" MBP.

I guess what I'm asking is, was this an issue in older generations? I have a 2013 MacBook Pro that I've used pretty much daily since 2013 and the keyboard isn't showing signs of wear. That being said, I do use an external keyboard when I get home, so its not tons and tons of use.

I'm also pretty neurotic about cleaning the thing as well...

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I guess what I'm asking is, was this an issue in older generations? I have a 2013 MacBook Pro that I've used pretty much daily since 2013 and the keyboard isn't showing signs of wear. That being said, I do use an external keyboard when I get home, so its not tons and tons of use.

I'm also pretty neurotic about cleaning the thing as well...
I've run into it on other keyboards but not on an Apple laptop.

HerbertDerb

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2017

I am going to purchase 15" 2017 model. And also going to order KB cover for it.

Reason? I have my other laptop keyboards gather oil from my hands and get shiny fairly quickly of regular use. (Yes, some of us have oily hands, even if you wash them regularly)

However, i am not going to leave the cover on the keyboard when i close it. Just take it out, trow it in the back, close the lid and good to go....

I am willing to go the "effort" of doing that, every time i close the lid. Just because i don't want to get greasy keyboard....

For 500€ laptop i wouldn't care about this stuff. But when i am paying 3399€ for a laptop, i do take good care of it.

E: Actually remembered incorrectly. Its 3400€, not 3300€.

Last edited:

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
buy one, keep it if you love it, return it within 14 days if you can't live with it

If you buy something from an Apple Store and want to return it within the 14 day period does it have to be to that exact store? The problem i have is that i live a fair few miles away from my nearest Apple store, however i do go to it when i go shopping with friends but usually every few months. Is it possible to buy a new Mac from the Apple store and return it in the post within 14 days if you don't like it?

pallymore

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
Boston, MA
If you buy something from an Apple Store and want to return it within the 14 day period does it have to be to that exact store? The problem i have is that i live a fair few miles away from my nearest Apple store, however i do go to it when i go shopping with friends but usually every few months. Is it possible to buy a new Mac from the Apple store and return it in the post within 14 days if you don't like it?

I believe the online Apple Store and the physical Apple Stores are different stores. I might be wrong but I don't think you can return anything you bought from a physical store to the Online Apple Store - but you can buy it online and return it to a physical store. (they will return it to the online store for you).
I do believe that you can return your purchases to a different physical store though.

If you don't mind waiting for a few days, why don't you buy one from the online store (shipping is free anyways) - if you end up not liking it, you have the option to return it via shipping or take it to a physical store.

Reactions: Dave245
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.