Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajfahey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2001
Moorpark, CA
No, my 3 still copes perfectly fine. Will be hanging onto it for at least another year. :D

Only reasons for upgrading to the Air:
1 You don't have an iPad
2 You still own an iPad 1 or 2
3 You are an iPad collector and want every iPad ever made
4 You're absolutely "have to" "keep up with the Jones'"
5 You accidentally bought an iPad with insufficient storage.
6 You broke your last iPad
7 Someone in your household doesn't have an iPad and can use your iPad
8 Just because you can and can't control your urges

iPad (and everything else Apple) evolution is starting to look a lot like getting Quicken or Microsoft Office updates. Skipping 2 or 3 evolutions doesn't significantly improve function or your user experience and the money is best spent elsewhere.:rolleyes:

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
iPad (and everything else Apple) evolution is starting to look a lot like getting Quicken or Microsoft Office updates. Skipping 2 or 3 evolutions doesn't significantly improve function or your user experience and the money is best spent elsewhere.:rolleyes:

Ha! Until they go "creative cloud" on you! :p

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple hasn't produced anything really innovative and exciting since the original iPad. Everything since has been evolutionary: faster, thinner, lighter, along with some almost obvious tweaks to the OS. Boring and nothing to get really excited over.

Apple's stock is to follow Microsoft into obscurity if they don't get back to the root-stock of disruptive innovation. Anyone can innovate incrementally and that will lead to inevitable competition and erosion of market share. They need to find another leader like Jobs. The current management is becoming too stodgy to allow that. Current management looks like they are taking the company back to the Sculley ere. Sad.:(

Sigh. You do realize Apple went 6 years between iPod and iPhone. What disruptive innovation did Jobs usher in from 2001-2007? And after the iPhone came out, outside of the App Store everything was incrementally making the product better. Same with iPad. What was disruptive about the iPad 2? Apple's always been about releasing a product and then refining it to make it better. I'd rather have Apple take their time on a new product and produce something really great and userul rather than rush something out (ala Galaxy Gear) just to feed the beast. Besides there's no way to satisfy the "what's next" crowd. Because no matter what new thing you release they'll always be looking for the next new thing.

robertpetry

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
St Augustine, FL
Only reasons for upgrading to the Air:
1 You don't have an iPad
2 You still own an iPad 1 or 2
3 You are an iPad collector and want every iPad ever made
4 You're absolutely "have to" "keep up with the Jones'"
5 You accidentally bought an iPad with insufficient storage.
6 You broke your last iPad
7 Someone in your household doesn't have an iPad and can use your iPad
8 Just because you can and can't control your urges

Well aren't you a know it all. You can think for everyone!! I'm really impressed.

My iPad 3 lagged constantly while typing, warranty was up and I got $450 for it. The iPad Air is a third lighter, thinner, way way faster and has a new warranty. I use the heck out of my iPad for personal and work purposes. That is worth $350 to me. "Keeping up with the Jones" has nothing to do with it. But I'm glad you can criticize my choice to make you feel better about yours!

In truth they are both valid decisions based on our own situations.

SeniorGato1

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
I have no desire to sell my $829 iPad ($900 w tax) for $400.

If anything I'll consider a Surface 2 tablet and hope for a 5 or 6 inch iPhone.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
I seriously think peoole underestimate the dramatic weight reduction.

The iPad Air is 458 gram, which is closer to the original Mini (301 gram) than the iPad 4 (650 gram). This is going to make all the diffference. For the first time, the iPad will be comfortable to hold in one hand for example.

----------

Apple hasn't produced anything really innovative and exciting since the original iPad. Everything since has been evolutionary: faster, thinner, lighter, along with some almost obvious tweaks to the OS. Boring and nothing to get really excited over.

Apple's stock is to follow Microsoft into obscurity if they don't get back to the root-stock of disruptive innovation. Anyone can innovate incrementally and that will lead to inevitable competition and erosion of market share. They need to find another leader like Jobs. The current management is becoming too stodgy to allow that. Current management looks like they are taking the company back to the Sculley ere. Sad.:(
Sigh.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
For the first time, the iPad will be comfortable to hold in one hand for example.

Not necessarily. I've tried a bunch of different devices and maximum weight I can stand for marathon reading sessions with single-handed operation is 340g (Nexus 7). Anything over 400g and I'd have to use two hands or be able to prop the device. I wonder how long it'll take for 10" class tablets to reach 300-350g... :)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I have no desire to sell my $829 iPad ($900 w tax) for $400.

If anything I'll consider a Surface 2 tablet and hope for a 5 or 6 inch iPhone.

I can only imagine what the Surface 2 resale value will be. My guess is nothing close to $400.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I use my iPad 3 as my primary device each and every day. I use my MBA strictly for productivity: work, group emails, word processing, etc. so it doesn't see the hours my iPad does. So I'm going for the new smaller, lighter iPad Air. I will give my iPad 3 to my husband who uses my hand-me-down iPad 2 only at home, usually at night just before bed, to wind down watching videos, reading news, etc. for less than an hour each day. He will enjoy the retina display. His main driver is his MBA. I can also see why someone would not see sufficient reason to upgrade from the 3.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Only reasons for upgrading to the Air [...] the money is best spent elsewhere.:rolleyes:

Sheesh. Sounds like someone who wants to upgrade but can't afford to... :D

I'm not planning to upgrade from my ipad3, but I'm able to understand others may feel the cpu/gpu/size/weight changes are well worth the cost to upgrade.

It's pretty short-sighted to think your "value" of the changes applies to everyone else.

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
I want to upgrade my 3rd gen, but I'm looking to go to a 13" rMBP over another iPad. For me I feel I'll get more use from the laptop over an iPad.
If I don't and end up looking at another iPad I'll wait and check the new models out. I was thinking a retina mini but seeing as the air is smaller and lighter than what I have, it will be worth checking out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.