Are we going to have to wait till June 2011 for a decent notification system?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JD914, Dec 30, 2010.

1. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Three years of getting text messages & other notifications and having an intrusive pop up is too long. I personally don't see a major improvement like this until the next iPhone is released. Your thoughts?

2. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It will be a feature available only on the iPhone 5.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yep. It'll be the "big deal" about iOS 5.

I expect the i5 and the i4 to get it. The 3GS will get iOS 5 but will inexplicably be missing this one key feature.

4. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

The difficulty Apple faces with this is that the longer the existing system is in place, the harder it gets to replace it.

When you get a Push Notification, you MUST respond to it in some way.

Other mobile OSes allow you to ignore a notification or to respond to them in any order that you wish.

Ensuring that existing and future Apps can work correctly with a new system would be important. As would the possible mix of newer devices that support the improved system and older devices that don't.

5. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I tend to agree with this except for the "inexplicably" part. The explanation is that Apple wants you to buy the i5 or whatever it's called!;)

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

What I meant by "inexplicably" was why would the OS 5 come out for the 3GS at all, then?

By which I mean, WHY on earth did they come out with iOS 4 for the 3G? What was the point of that?

I see a repeat next year...iOS 5 for the 3GS! It does nothing, but download it anyway!

7. zephxiii macrumors 6502

hah, I would feel lucky to get this 2011.....

The other thing I wonder, will I finally be able to organize my photos in 2011 iOS5?

8. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Nope.

9. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I think you're right on these points, and Apple is probably hesitant to implement any change that would leave the average user wondering "Why doesn't it just work like it used too?".

Listening to the TiPb "iPhone Live!" podcast the other day, the issue of how to implement new features to iOS was brought up, and multitasking was pointed to as an example. Here's a feature that got implemented in 4.0 that a lot of average users use, yet many don't even realize they have it. Whether you use the new doubletap tray or not, your still using the important part of what got implemented.

So looking at the much needed possible improvement to notifications, I keep thinking of the jailbreak app "Notified" (free version). It really is almost exactly how I think an Apple-ish notification overhaul should look and function. No new (and foreign) gesture to learn. No special thing to do or quadruple tap. It's just a standard app icon with a standard iOS number badge if there's anything new. You tap on it and see a list of what has recently popped up. Weather alert 1 hour ago, alarm clock 5 hours ago, three notifications from an app 7 hours ago. Super simple. You want to explore more, just tap the item in the list and it launches that app. Do nothing but look, and the red badge number dissapears when you close the app. This is how I think an Apple implemented notification system would look like. The only thing I'd change is to give the user more fine-grained control over what apps or services get listed.

Sean

10. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I tend to agree with you. I can't remember which features of IOS 4 were implemented for the 3g since I haven't used my 3g for a while now, but I seem to recall there were some...
    I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the same thing happen with the 3gs and IOS 5. For certain things, I can understand the hardware limitations. For other things, it's the way Apple 'encourages' you to buy new. Apple is certainly not the only company that does this. The auto industry and digital camera companies come most immediately to mind.

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

For the 3G, a main thing 4.0 gave was more app support. New apps would be developed for "4.0" and unless your phone somehow said it was running 4.0+, then you would not be able to download that specific app.

I wonder if Apple would really copy the Android notification system. I just don't see Apple doing that.

How else could they improve it without copying Android?

12. nexsta macrumors 6502

love the notification system, don't see why it should be updated.

13. walie macrumors 6502a

you cannot be serious

14. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

I agree. It will be a major point of iOS 5. They need to do it. The people that Notice it the most are people that get a ton of notifications coming in. It gets overwhelming, and if you don't deal with it right then you run the risk of forgetting that it's even there.

15. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

The guy who did WebOS notification system works at Apple now. A lot of people say WebOs has a better notification system than Android.

[​IMG]

16. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Because it is intrusive. It interrupts whatever the user is doing and demands a response. Many times I am playing a game and a popup comes. The game pauses, I have to respond to the message and then resume..
    It would be much better to have something like in WebOS. The notification system on WebOS and Android is much better. Even Microsoft got it better.

17. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

I vote WebOS and can't wait to see what iOS 5 brings. Only a few more months! :D

18. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

this should be the one thing that EVERYONE agrees on.

19. JD914 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JD914

This is an extreme case of fanboyisim :rolleyes:

20. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Tell me about it. :rolleyes:

Very severe - to not see through weaknesses.

21. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

LOL..maybe the person does not get any notifications, stock apps, no mail setup and a game or two. Therefore for them it's perfect,,,:D

22. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Wait for a software update :)

23. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Exactly! Is is possible that they don't even know what a pop-up notification is? :D

Words of wisdom. :cool:

24. nexsta macrumors 6502

I don't know what you all do but I get only a pop up message that is really important like a SMS and I love the way it is now that I can read it directly as a pop up, it's done much better then in all others phones I had. Why on earth are you getting messages from games lol