Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you avoiding iMessage entirely until Apple makes it nearly bugfree?

• Yes

Votes: 18 9.5%
  • No

Votes: 172 90.5%

• Total voters

Pinkiy

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
Surrey, UK
only thing i find annoying is that it takes a while to switch between imessage and text if no 3g signal and sometimes it freezes in confusion and you have to force send as a text.

another annoying bug is pictures......similar to above and can takes ages to send them if at all and if i do they sometimes dont even send as imessage and i get a fee on my bill.

but its pretty good persay but you should be able to dissable force send as text or least give you an option if it fails.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Bugs like if someone iMessages me while I'm on iPad in living room, it goes to iPhone in bedroom on charger, and not to iPad.

Doesn't that just mean that you need to set your email address as the primary sender/receiver as opposed to your phone?

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

yea it doesnt just work. imessages dont switch to sms and send. someone sends and it arrives as imessage, next time as sms, both times it opens a new dialogue so I have two conversations with the same person because imeassage doesnt combine them. its broke

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What bugs, I find that it works extremely well. Never had a problem with it.

m3coolpix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
The best part about it is that the chat bubble is beautiful baby blue instead of green! Don't you agree?

Absolutely! Green costs money! :mad: We've canceled our texting on 3 iPhones on our AT$T plan.

And no issues here. Been using iMessages for 2 weeks on iPad 2 3G and iP4, both on 5.0.1. iMessages usually hit my iPad first, in fact.

We love the read receipts. Makes texting even shorter for us!

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
The only bug I have is my wife. She likes it so much she will send me a message just to bug me. :)

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

When sending an iMessage to someone does it have to be there email or can I send to their phone number? (and it would still be sent as iMessage as long as they're on IOS5)

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
iMessages was a waste of Apple's resources, for many reasons.

Please list a few.

I think it was very worthwhile. It retains cross-device compatibility through SMS, while seamlessly making use of a better medium when it's available. It restores functionality in SMS (delivery confirmation, read receipts) that some carriers chose to remove. And it let's users make use of their iPads for easier text entry when they have one available.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
I turned it off and I'm never going to turn it on again - data connections over cell networks can't ever, ever even theoretically be as reliable as the SMS protocol is.

Phazer

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
i Love iMessage. Once and awhile itll send as SMS. which is kind of annoying. and twice my girlfriends phone deactivated it and wouldnt reactivate it without a restore which was super annoying. but as much as we text that seems like a distant memory at this point.

DuckSoup

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2008
Upstate Central NY
Yes it is. It's on by default. You have to turn it off to not use it.

That was not the case for me. I had to opt IN. The only bug was it was bugging me as to why it was not working until I found it in options.

Mike

----------

iMessages was a waste of Apple's resources, for many reasons. I turned it off.

??

It's a godsend where I work. They started issuing iPhones where I work in the past year, but no Text Message plans to save $. Now with iMessage everyone has text messaging between workmates (when they upgrade to 5.0 of course).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.