Are you buying the new 16" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by patent10021, Apr 15, 2019.

1. patent10021, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019

patent10021 macrumors 68030

patent10021

I have a good feeling about this next piece of hardware. I think it's going to be the MBP everyone has been waiting for with all the fixes. I don't think this is speculation since there are a couple of reliable sources. Not to mention, Apple has received so much sh_t regarding performance of late I think this will be a turning point. This 16" is going to happen. Same with new Mac Pros.

2. fokmik macrumors 68040

if this will be the case...then a lot of people will buy it
    both those who use 15" and 17"
    Lets hope it will come with i7 9th gen

3. leman macrumors G3

I am certainly not buying any mythical nonexistent product :)

That aside, what kind of fixes do you expect from the 15” MBP with smaller screen bezels?

4. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I doubt it.

I predict that it will have the same butterfly keyboard and the T2 chip :(.

5. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

Highly doubt a big redesign includes hardware that’s proven to be prone to failing. Even the last spec updates included a new revision, now they might go for a redesign.

Maybe that haptic touch technology. We can shift the complaining from reliability to “I’m making too many typing errors”.

6. SweWriter macrumors newbie

Honestly, I don't see them implementing a new keyboard. I just think they will keep trying to make their "new vision" working. The only ones that would be mostly pleased if such a scenario played out would be Lenovo.

7. leman macrumors G3

I am sure that the keyboard will be changed in some ways. Maybe we will even get the glass-covered keyboard as described by the latest patents. I doubt very much though that they will abandon the ultra-shallow keyboard however.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 16, 2019 ---
    Of course they will keep the system coprocessor, that’s now one of the most defining features of a Mac. It will most likely get enhanced with some new features, maybe a neural net accelerator or something g like that.

8. SweWriter macrumors newbie

I agree, them sticking to the idea of super thin and trying to keep re-inventing the keyboard is also what I expect. They have committed and can't back down now that they are the "future". Shame they left the best keyboards available behind, however.

Anyhow, on topic: whether I buy the new model or not is all up to the keyboard. If they are going back (which I do not believe) to their old/classic keyboard, then I will buy a new macbook pro. Otherwise, no. The keyboard is my main interface, and it has to be the best available.

9. mdnz macrumors 6502

I'm in the market but I'll wait a few months to see if there are not any big flaws.

10. leman macrumors G3

You see, the issue is that a non-insignificant group of users, to whom I happen to belong, actually prefers the butterfly keyboard. It’s more precise, faster and softer. Every time I have to go to an older-style keyboard I make tons of typos and my fingers hurt. If they decided to go to the older keyboard, I’d be disappointed.

11. Nugget macrumors 68000

Nugget

Only if I can buy one without the touch bar. I won’t buy any computer that doesn’t have a whole keyboard on it. I actually like the new keyboard (reliability notwithstanding) but I can’t function without an Esc key.

12. howareyoukk macrumors regular

yeah man if its a 16 inch then i will get it if its the same old 15 inch then i will get a 2017 refurbished mac so i can sell it next year when the 16inch is out, which will cost me less than buying a brand new one.

13. fokmik macrumors 68040

maybe the 16" will be out this year

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

An intriguing size to be sure, and there's been much debate about the validity of the rumor and the possible release date. Some internet chatter suggests that we may not see any redesign in 2019 - who knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

As for me, I suppose, I could be tempted, because Apple does a great job of showing off their products but in all likelihood, I'll not spend any more money on a MBP - at least in the near future. I'm quite content with Lenovo X1 Extreme, its everything that the MBP should have been (though in a boring black enclosure). I can't see Apple providing a better typing experience, as the X1E has a great keyboard and if Apple sticks with the butterfly, its definitely not for me.

15. pshufd macrumors 6502

The rumor is 16 inches this year, redesign in 2021. I would assume that this means the same keyboard. My current choices: there are three 2015 MBPs for sale in my area at good prices. And I like the 2019 iMac. The three 2015s won't last long so I'll make a decision by next week.

16. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

Ming Chi Kuo said a 16" to 16.5" Macbook Pro with an "all new design" i'm intrigued to see what this "all new design" will be. I don't think they can change the design in a major way, the Macbook Pro, Macbook and new Macbook Air all look great! The only thing i can think of is that they might reduce the bezels. For the last year or so Apple have had a war on bezels, the iPhone's got a reduced bezel and so did the new iPad Pro's, the Macbook Air also got a reduction in bezels. Will the new Macbook Pro take it a step further and reduce the bezel size dramatically?

The one thing that Apple need to do is fix the keyboard issues. I personally don't mind how the keys feel or the lack of travel, BUT i don't want to buy a Mac that's going to have keyboard issues, as a writer that would be REALLY bad.

Is this 16" to 16.5" Macbook Pro going to replace the current the 15" Macbook Pro? that's something Ming Chi never mentioned. Personally i like the idea of more screen estate, i currently use a 27" iMac 2012 at home and i love the amount of the screen estate it has, I often have picture in picture with Youtube or Pixelmator Pro open alongside Safari and Final Draft software.

17. pshufd macrumors 6502

makotakara clarified that it would be the bigger screen followed by the all new design. So I guess that we will see. I suspect that I'd want to wait a while to see if these things are reliable or not so I might just get one of the 2015s.

18. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

Ming Chi Kuo reported 16” and a new design. It wouldn’t make sense to release a 16” version of the current MacBook Pro, then release an all new 2021 version with the mini-LED.

Otherwise why release a 16” version in the first place? If there is no new design.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Improve thermal design, right now Apple's thin design cannot adequately cool itself

20. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

Fair point, a keyboard fix and thermals. Maybe a bezel reduction as well. But why change the screen size if they are not changing the design?

21. pshufd macrumors 6502

I'm just reporting the article that I read. I don't know the whys or whether or not it makes sense.

22. Plutonius, Apr 16, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019

Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Maybe it will have on-demand bridgeOS T2 failures in the next version :D.

A system coprocessor is great but Apple should leave it out when it doesn't work properly.
    I have no issues with the butterfly keyboard except that it's prone to failure.

I agree with many posters that Apple will eventually have a glass haptic keyboard. It will be more reliable but I predict that most people will not like it.
    I would also include repairability in the wishlist.

Most repairs in the current MacBook Pro require replacing half the laptop. After the AppleCare runs out (after the third year), the MacBook Pro is cost prohibitive to repair.

A larger screen is useless to me if I'm forced to spend large amounts of money for even the simplest repair after three years. When I purchase a computer, I want to keep it for at least six years.

23. Falhófnir macrumors 68030

Falhófnir

Would you like to buy a house? It's not built yet but it's going to have 6 bedrooms.

That's about the level of detail we have about the new machines as yet, so nobody can answer the question, unless they are absolutely going to buy no matter what Apple come out with, or have no intention of buying in the next couple of years anyway.

If the 2021 rumour is true, and this year is just a spec bump with a larger screen, no I don't think I will buy one.
    If it's a perfect redesign but costs £3,999, no I don't think I will buy one.
    If it's a perfect redesign without a price increase, pigs will fly.
    If it's a reasonable re-engineering effort that fixes the major issues, and they don't increase the price further, yeah I'll consider getting one.

24. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

It's always speculation until Apple announce it. I don't understand why it would be 16" if there is no redesign, is it just going to be a new machine to fix all the issues. These are questions i'm sure everyone have, time will tell what we will see but i would like to see a better keyboard at least.

Does it mean that they will also update the other Macbook's? what about new Air that has the same keyboard?

25. Howard2k macrumors 68000

Howard2k

Will it have a T2?
    Audio issues?
    Displaygate?
    Keyboardgate?

It would have to be a substantial improvement on the existing models for me to consider it. And to be honest, even a substantial re-design at current rates, I think I'd likely pass.