Are you buying the new Apple TV (2015)?

• Yes (it's perfect and has everything I ever wanted)

Votes: 182 59.9%
  • Maybe (still waiting on international pricing, more details and reviews)

Votes: 70 23.0%
  • No (it doesn't meet my needs, my roku is better)

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • No (it doesn't meet my needs, my fire TV/stick is better)

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • No (it doesn't meet my needs, my nexus player is better)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No (I'm sticking with my older Apple TV 2 or 3)

Votes: 23 7.6%
  • No (I just use my smart TV)

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • No (I use my Xbox 360 or Xbox one)

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • No (I use my play station 3 or 4)

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • No (I'm waiting for more apps and streaming services to be released)

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 28, 2011

I'm still on the fence. Specs wise I think it's perfect. Pricing is too high in my opinion (more than double the price of the current one). I'm sure in 6 months or one year it will really be useful when the App Store is more developed and we finally have more streaming services.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
No, it really has nothing that I want. Not interested in games. Don't need a fancy remote. Hate talking to machines. Hate machines that talk to me. I mainly use my AppleTVs to view local iTunes files and the new one is expensive and offers no improvement for this.

BingoBlue

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014
Philly
If it can match the Roku in terms of content here in the UK i'll be picking up two of these. I've been planning to swap out the two Roku streaming sticks with a version that i can wire in to my network so I end up swapping to Apple TV and stick in with what is probably going to overtake Roku in only a few weeks.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Not unless it gets apps for Amazon Prime and one of the Ultraviolet streaming services (since I have quite a few digital copies in my UV locker from discs I purchased). If it does, I will consider replacing an old ATV and a Roku. But I'll probably wait to see what the new Amazon device has to offer in any case.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

I'm still on the fence. Specs wise I think it's perfect. Pricing is too high in my opinion (more than double the price of the current one). I'm sure in 6 months or one year it will really be useful when the App Store is more developed and we finally have more streaming services.
I really wouldn't say it's more then double the price without consider the price reduction of the previous gen. That's like saying the iPhone is more expensive this year because the 6 is 100 dollars less now. I think Apple did a good job reducing the price long before its launch rather then waiting till it was announced/released.

You have to also consider the remote. It's FAR more advanced then the previous model so I feel there is at least a little substance to the price increase.

Ray Brady

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
I can't answer your poll, I'm afraid. I'm definitely going to be getting one, but your silly "it's perfect and has everything I ever wanted" addendum means that none of your offered answers are accurate. If you're only going to offer one "Yes" option, why bother qualifying it?

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
If/when they release their cable TV competitor, I'll consider it, but I don't see any reason to before then.

Reactions: IndianBird

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
Hell yes. No-brainer purchase for me. My current Apple TV 3 is my only source for TV/movie watching. Voice enabled search, voice enabled commands, 802.11ac, and App Store support make this the easiest tech purchase decision I've had in years. It's not perfect though. I wish they'd stuck the A9x in there, and had a 256 GB option. Probably in the next generation. :/ Still, it's good enough from what I've seen. Hopefully the user experience lives up to the presentation. I'm tired of clicking my remote to navigate and to type (unacceptable).

Reactions: playaproved

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Sure am, but not because its everything I wanted. It is time to upgrade my old ATV's and I like some of the new features.

dotnet

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I can't answer your poll, I'm afraid. I'm definitely going to be getting one, but your silly "it's perfect and has everything I ever wanted" addendum means that none of your offered answers are accurate. If you're only going to offer one "Yes" option, why bother qualifying it?
I agree. The description attached to the only Yes vote on the poll is silly. I'm still going to get one, that's for sure. I'm still on AppleTV 2, and I've waited long enough for this upgrade!

poematik13

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2014
excited to see what the app selection will evolve to, so definitely getting one, even though my current apple tv works fine.

TrueBlou

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I'll definitely be picking one up. For one thing the game I'm currently working on will be perfect adapted for Apple TV. All through development I've been wanting them to announce an AppStore for Apple TV so I could add it in.

That aside, I want one for my media consumption, I think it'll finally be the one box I need to replace my others.

Reactions: darkknight14

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Yes, going to buy one, I have two ATV gen 2 now and love them. Your poll is worded a little snarky though.

We bought our first 1080p TV in June and have been holding off getting a Apple TV for it until the new one came out.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
If it can match the Roku in terms of content here in the UK i'll be picking up two of these. I've been planning to swap out the two Roku streaming sticks with a version that i can wire in to my network so I end up swapping to Apple TV and stick in with what is probably going to overtake Roku in only a few weeks.
You are aware that it only has 10/100 Ethernet and that you would be better off keeping it wireless if you have a router supporting AC.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
You are aware that it only has 10/100 Ethernet and that you would be better off keeping it wireless if you have a router supporting AC.
Yes and no...only if your connection is faster than that, which most people do not have.

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
Disappointed in A8X rather than A9X. And the included default game controller... that most gaming will get based around is impressive... but limiting.

Apple could have really thrown everything at it.

But still buying in.

HoiPiet

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2015
Yes, but I'll probably hold off a bit. I'm going to get a Channelmaster DVR and OTA tuner soon, kill Netflix streaming and use the delivery service till Spring.

It'd be nice if I could eventually network the CHannelmaster with it, but I won't wail and moan if they don't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.