Are you getting a new MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by XX55XX, Jun 11, 2012.


Are you getting any of the new MacBooks?

  1. Yes, I'm getting the new 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro.

    184 vote(s)
  2. Yes, I'm getting a new 13-inch/15-inch MacBook Pro that has the old chassis.

    42 vote(s)
  3. Yes, I'm getting a new MacBook Air.

    10 vote(s)
  4. No, I plan to buy one of the second-hand Sandy Bridge MacBooks about to flood eBay.

    12 vote(s)
  5. No, I'm keeping my current Mac. Not buying anything.

    127 vote(s)
  6. No, I'm buying a new non-Mac computer (a PC).

    10 vote(s)
  1. XX55XX macrumors regular

    May 17, 2009
    Just wanted to gauge the current mood in this forum. See poll above.
  2. Necrotique macrumors member

    May 30, 2012
    I'll stick with my lovely 760GB of RAID SSD storage that I can swap when I want, thankyou.

    Sticking with '11 MBP.

    Premium prices for a non-user-exchangeable, soldered setup is a slippery slope.
  3. kazmac macrumors 603


    Mar 24, 2010
    On the silver scream

    if I do, it'll be the 15" Retina MBP...want to see exactly how much of a hit my savings will take.
  4. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a


    Nov 13, 2009
    I was really hoping for a 13" redesign as well.

    Now I have to do a bit of research to see what I want, and what will suit my needs.
  5. XX55XX thread starter macrumors regular

    May 17, 2009
    I wish I could have made the choices even more comprehensive, but there are so many options...
  6. wct097 macrumors 6502

    Nov 30, 2010
    Probably the new Retina MBP. Seems like I won't have the option to do a HDD in the optical bay in addition to the SSD (no optical bay) like I can with my current MBP. Wonder what a 16gb/512gb MBP will run with Retina display.
  7. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816


    May 6, 2012
    Spaceball One
    I dont think the 15" retina is user upgradable. What a shame... If the 17" is announced with retina I will buy it..
  8. Hidendra macrumors member

    May 19, 2008
    my debit card is armed for a Retina, so long as I can use the student discount
  9. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020


    May 9, 2008
    The next gen Pro was basically what I had in mind. 15", slim, dedicated graphics, quad core processor, and 5+ hour battery.

    Just trying to decide whether to go with the stock 8GB or upgrade to 16GB RAM. 512GB 'drive is a given.
  10. XX55XX thread starter macrumors regular

    May 17, 2009
    In my opinion, if you plan to do lots of video editing or anything that requires heavy lifting, get 16GB.

    Plus, it's great for future-proofing.
  11. Sangdushi macrumors regular

    Sep 9, 2011
    I'll wait 5-6 years to retire my 2011 MBA and get the latest
  12. Braniff747SP macrumors 6502


    May 30, 2010
    Los Angeles, California, USA
    I'll got for the new old look 13'. It's going to be fast...
  13. Martialis macrumors member

    Jun 11, 2012
    You don't have a "I'm still thinking about it since I don't blow thousands of dollars on a new computer without taking a few days to mull it over" option. :confused:
  14. KylePowers macrumors 68000


    Mar 5, 2011
    I'll be waiting for this as well. Guess I should pick a new hobby other than perusing rumor sites all day, could be awhile!
  15. XX55XX thread starter macrumors regular

    May 17, 2009
    You are keeping your current Mac/PC, then!
  16. mnsportsgeek macrumors 68000

    Feb 24, 2009
    I'm hoping the student discount is $200 off. Then maybe I'll be able to grab one.
  17. pHeNom macrumors regular

    Jan 10, 2009
    Houston TX!
    Sure will. Anybody know when I can pick one up ASAP? Hopefully they'll have it in stores by the time I get off work.
  18. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020


    May 9, 2008
    Just saw the specs, looks like I must get the $2799 config to get the 512GB SSD :( Not sure I can stomach the premium for the 16GB.

    Still have no idea how much the RAM u/g will cost...
  19. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

    Sep 12, 2010
    I intend to purchase the next gen 15" base as soon as the store pops back online, and I'm pretty darn excited :D
  20. sanbon909 macrumors newbie

    Apr 23, 2012
    I'll be buying one but I'm not sure which one yet. I'm a little disappointed that there was no upgrade to the screens of the 13 or 15.
  21. hvfsl macrumors 68000


    Jul 9, 2001
    London, UK
    The new slim 15inch has my eye, but it all depends on whether I can get it with a 500GB SSD for around £2000. Otherwise I will go for one of old design 15inch.

    Edit: Might wait until I see the prices of the Ethernet and firewire adapters too, as knowing Apple, they will be $100 each.
  22. Hidendra macrumors member

    May 19, 2008
    the retina MBP uses an IPS display and is 1920x1200 without Retina scaling -- so getting the new MBP is a no brainer ;) (if you've ever used an IPS display)
  23. salacious macrumors 6502a

    May 15, 2011
    the 15" retina display model is way overpriced, £1799 with only 256gb ssd? its not even configurable, to be honest this is way overpriced and I'm disappointed, the screen cannot possibly contribute to that price point? i mean everything is flash, but to me i don't see how this price point is properly marketed?

    a more reasonable fee would have been £1399.
  24. odinsride macrumors 65816


    Apr 11, 2007
    As much as I want the new Retina MBP, I don't really need it. My Mid-2010 15" MBP is serving me just fine with 8gb ram and an SSD.
  25. Martialis macrumors member

    Jun 11, 2012
    No, I'm not, because I am planning to buy something in the next few months. I'm just not sure what. Though I suppose you are correct as it is.

Share This Page