Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to see Prometheus in 2D or 3D?

• Total voters

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Cameron made Avatar to be a showcase for 3D. That's how it turned out.

In an interview I listened to (the Mark Kermode one), Ridley Scott didn't seem 100% in favour of 3D and described his 2D cut as "actually quite beautiful". I don't think it's been created to be a 3D showcase at all... so I think you're incorrect in assuming that 3D is the obvious choice to see this in.
I hadn't heard Scott say that. A bit disappointed that he chose to go the 3D route without being behind it. Perhaps it was compromise with the studios. Still ...

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I wanted to see it in 2D, but missed a showing by 20 minutes and saw it in 3D instead, which I regretted.

Overall I thought the glasses degraded the visual quality of the film - which is really good. The 3D effect also doesn't work that well in dark scenes (of which there were many), so wearing them was kind of pointless.

3D is a gimmick whose time is running out.

That was me and I'm still right.

Perhaps I should be kinder to Scott and lay the blame with Damon Lindelof. It's his script that's responsible for the lack of suspense and character development.

Right you are. No one's opinions can be wrong. No hard feelings. :)

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Ugh, where to begin with this horrible film. Sorry, this has to be one of the biggest let downs for me. I can live with the fact that it really isn't a sequel to Alien or Aliens. I can live with that. But this film was horrible. Again, we get another horrible acting from CT. If you have seen Snow White and the Huntsman, you have seen the same character.

I won't layout the spoilers here, but I found it to be laughable in parts and down right unwatchable in others. D- here.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ugh, where to begin with this horrible film. Sorry, this has to be one of the biggest let downs for me. I can live with the fact that it really isn't a sequel to Alien or Aliens. I can live with that. But this film was horrible. Again, we get another horrible acting from CT. If you have seen Snow White and the Huntsman, you have seen the same character.

I won't layout the spoilers here, but I found it to be laughable in parts and down right unwatchable in others. D- here.

Is that from the perspective of a "story" or how a movie was crafted? There is a spoiler thread if you want to go into details. BTW, I don't expect everyone to love or even like this film. How did you feel about the original two Alien movies? :)

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Saw it. The 3-D was absolutely gorgeous. I can't believe all the haters that voted for 2-D. :p

Fande67

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2012
Ok, if Ridley Scott himself says that the movie was supposed to be 2D, or at least conceived as such, then I might actually follow his lead. What I've seen in the trailer looked amazing in 3D though. What I'm really concerned about is actually the film itself, I have seen/heard bad reviews and this makes me quite sad, since I'm expecting this to be one of the highlights this year.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Saw it. The 3-D was absolutely gorgeous. I can't believe all the haters that voted for 2-D. :p

I can't believe so many people like 3D, it's such a gimmick that looks so fake. I can already see depth in a movie, I don't need to see it floating out in front of me to enjoy the movie.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
I can't believe so many people like 3D, it's such a gimmick that looks so fake. I can already see depth in a movie, I don't need to see it floating out in front of me to enjoy the movie.

i saw avengers in 3d and it was cheesy as hell. horrible. but done in post production.

prometheus was shot in 3d and it was excellent

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
i saw avengers in 3d and it was cheesy as hell. horrible. but done in post production.

prometheus was shot in 3d and it was excellent

Still not interested, I'll leave the 3D effects up to amusement park attractions. Not for featured films.

I thought Avatar in 3D at iMax was worth it, but generally speaking I prefer 2D. I see 3D as a overlying special effect that is not really needed or adds anything significant to the viewer experience.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I thought Avatar in 3D at iMax was worth it, but generally speaking I prefer 2D. I see 3D as a overlying special effect that is not really needed or adds anything significant to the viewer experience.

I think you're in a similar boat as me. I think it's cool when something jumps out on the screen every now and then, but it's not necessary and doesn't really make the movie any better. To go even further, it cost more and you have to wear those stupid glasses.

Flood123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Living Stateside
I saw it in 3D IMAX and have to say I'm my opinion it was the best utilization of 3D to date. People have their opinions of the plot, but as far as the way the film looked, the score, and sound design,... it was beautiful. I didn't like avatar. It was overkill and gave me option sickness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.