Are you going to sell your iPad 2 or keep it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by musika, Feb 6, 2012.

?

Are you going to sell your iPad 2 when the new iPad is released or keep it?

1. Keep it, I love mine, don't want the hassle of selling it, just don't want a new iPad.

65 vote(s)
    24.9%
  2. Keep it, buy new. Collect them all!

59 vote(s)
    22.6%
  3. Sell it, I want the latest.

111 vote(s)
    42.5%
  4. Not sure yet.

26 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. musika macrumors 65816

musika

Haven't quite decided, myself. I want to keep my 2. I love it, it has been great and I obviously don't need a 3. But, being a tech geek, I'm not sure. What are you doing, coming March/April when the new iPad is said to be released?

2. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I'm most definitely keeping mine even though I am going to buy an iPad3.

I kept my original iPad which is working just fine. By adding the next model, i'll have one for every member of the family.

That's the ideal scenario in my household. We really enjoy them.

3. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

Well...

IP2 will go to the wife. IP3 will go to me...i hope....:confused:

4. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

iPad 1 owner who won't be changing yet.

I don't relate to all the people who sell ”at the perfect time" every year to get the latest and greatest.

It just seems so exhausting. Treating it with 'kid gloves' all year, selling on eBay, waiting a month, and trying to be one of the early buyers. . . . . Every year.

I am more of a "use it, love it and abuse it until it breaks kind of guy."
    I also think it makes the eventual upgrade more significant/rewarding.

If I were totally loaded that would likely change however.

5. aldocg macrumors newbie

If you have the option of buying at discount there's no argument.

I buy at 28% off or so. I sell at little lower than buying price.

Buying off of Amazon in the US or in black friday could be a great choice.

My Macbook Air is 19500 pesos retail, I bought for 14,400.

I can sell it in a few months for 15,000 and get the brand new mid-2012 one for less.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I can't vote because my ipad2 will be going to a buddy in the States, when I get my 3.

7. RoyWill macrumors member

Will get a new one.. iPad 3 or 2S.. whatever and give my ipad 2 to my cousin....

8. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

It's a little early to say given that it hasn't even been announced. And it's already... [​IMG] February 7th, they've got about 3 weeks left.

This new iPad must be a surprise. [​IMG]

9. jojoba macrumors 68000

I've only had my iPad2 for about four or five months and I'm totally happy with it, so no plans of getting rid of it. When I eventually do, it will probably be because I've run out of space (mine is a 16GB but I still have more than half left). A USB port would be a strong pull factor, too, but I guess that's not likely to happen.

10. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Keeping my original iPad and giving to my girlfriend. I will get the 3, or maybe even the 2 when/if there is a price cut. This will also depend on the specs/features or the 2 vs 3.

11. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Giving my wife the iPad 2 and I'm upgrading to the iPad 3.

12. saberahul macrumors 68040

That's pathetic. If I (which I never will) even attempted to give my wife an older device in turn for a newer one for myself, she will become upset. If I were to give an iPad to my wife, it would either be the new one (in which case I will keep old) or I will purchase 2 new ones (in which case both of us will get it).

13. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Kept the iPad when bought the iPad 2, planning on doing the same. It's useful to have a couple when either one runs out of battery, or, *ahem* it has found itself in the bathroom... while someone *ahem* was on the toilet... and then someone else wants to use it. (C'mon, we've all done it...)

14. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Well, why not? If she doesn't really care if she is using an iPad 2 or iPad 3. Perhaps it was even her idea! It saves money (which I assume they share) and they will both get what they want.

You don't know if he already suggested "I'm going to buy you an iPad 3" and that his wife's answer was "I've got a better idea. I'll take your iPad 2 and you take the iPad 3. I don't really care about the latest generation."

Don't make assumptions. Just because this scenario wouldn't work with your wife, doesn't mean it can't work with someone else's wife.

15. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I'll be waiting til the 3 is jailbroken, then if I can afford 3G at the time I'll upgrade (the one regret I have about my 2 is wifi over 3G, if I can't afford that I'll keep my 2).

16. number84 macrumors 6502

+1. I've seen this kind of post in other threads. Funny how people make assumptions about other people's situation. In my case, my wife would be perfectly happy with a hand-me-down iPad 2 should she want/need a tablet. It would serve her purposes very well. She doesn't care too much about having the latest and greatest (unlike myself) so long as it serves her purpose.

And to elaborate on the poll, I actually sold my iPad 2 in preparation for the iPad 3. Hope I didn't make a mistake by selling too early...but I got a very good price for it so took the chance.

17. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I got my iPad 2 in May after searching and checking everywhere constantly for the model I wanted. I don't want to go through that trouble again with the iPad 3. Although it would be nice to have the latest and greatest, I already upgrade my phone every year (and being a poor college student, I can't afford to upgrade both every year). I'll replace my iPad 2 when it no longer does what I need it to (or if I can get a discounted iPad 3).

18. musika thread starter macrumors 65816

musika

To each his/her own. He's not belittling his wife in anyway by doing that. If she wants a new one, get her a new one. If she is indifferent, it's still a nice gesture.

19. HERO XXL macrumors regular

Collecting them all.
    My wife and I both had the "ones"--she got an iPhone shortly afterwards and loved the portability of it and the fact that it did all that her iPad did--so, (thankfully) she saw no need to upgrade to the two when I did. Now, I simply hand down the previous models to the kids--everyone's happy. Can't wait for the third!!

20. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

I love my iPad - I can use it for another year or two - and then I'll be looking to replace. I can't see buying the 3rd iPad - I just don't need to upgrade that soon.

21. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I'll sell it when the iPad 3 has a stable untethered jailbreak.

----------

What's pathetic is your wife can't be happy with something because it isn't the newest thing available. So it's either the top of the line or nothing? Wow sounds like you picked a winner.

22. RenoG macrumors 65816

Meh, they are probably the same in that they are both gadget heads and want the latest and greatest, hence the wife would see his attempt as an insult.

23. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I understand that but you have issues if you're getting mad and insulted because you were given last years model. Wanting the newest thing is fine but I think it's crossing the line if you get mad and someone that GIVES you something and it isn't the newest model.

24. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I guess it all depends on what the iPad 3 has to offer. If the upgrade is comparable to the iPhone 4S upgrade, I might skip it and hold on to my 5-week old iPad 2. I'm gonna need more than a Retina display to be enticed to sell my iPad 2 and buy the iPad 3. The great thing about Apple products, though, is that they resell for a good price, so the out-of-pocket expensse to upgrade wouldn't be too bad.

25. whynotgotovegas macrumors member

Not sure how old this thread is but I decided to comment anyway. I have an iPad 2 and I love it. The only things I don't like about it, is the display could be better. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but but I'm just royally spoiled with my iPod touch 4th gen display. But other then that, I love it! At first I wanted to sell it only because in a couple of year when iOS 7 or 8 comes out, it might run on the iPad 2, but it is probably going to be super leggy. However, after thinking about it, I realized that I will have upgraded by then. And I'm sure iOS 6 will run just fine on the iPad 2. :)

----------

I agree, if my wife (which I'm not married, but let's just pretend I was) was into say, sowing, and I liked it but she was the one who had the hardcore passion over it, I would want her to have the latest and greatest, and me getting a last generation sowing machine or something would be great, because it's more then enough I need. But to each is own, I guess :p