Are you happy with your late 2016 Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fokmik, Nov 18, 2016.

1. fokmik, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016

fokmik macrumors 68000

Are you? Tell us what you love, an overall opinion. I think we must have this also since everybody only with issues come to forums to post their problems.

2. archimon macrumors regular

Battery life on my 15" is currently only about 5 hours doing basic tasks like web browsing/using a word processor, which is very disappointing - hopefully I'll see some improvement in the next few days. Saw some artifacts after tabbing out of Civ IV which was a bit ugly. For some reason my magic keyboard and trackpad have cut out randomly a few times with this new machine - any ideas on why this might happening? I unpaired them with my old MBP. Also, for some reason it seems that, despite having the MacBook set not to sleep when plugged in, transmission was not downloading overnight. Anyway, a few big problems that could be deal breakers, and some smaller ones. I like the machine quite a lot aside from these gripes (though touchbar is currently pretty useless).

3. GZR macrumors regular

I have non touchbar 13" and I am happy besides the battery life. All these guys getting 10hrs plus amazes me, my experience is not like that at all. I get more like 7 to 8 hours performing basic tasks, I am not a power user.

4. Baldrake macrumors 6502

The jury's still out for me. The keyboard is not as bad as I'd feared, but I'm still getting used to it. I'm disappointed by the power of the 460 Pro. I find that when I'm typing, my fingers obscure my view of the touchbar, which makes me less likely to use it. Love the screen and the general look.

5. Fozzybadfeet macrumors 6502

Fozzybadfeet

I'm very happy with my non-touch 13" MBP. Battery has been solid (but, I haven't really tested the longevity of a full charge) and I'm just happy that I'm able to get back into editing my photos lol

6. GZR macrumors regular

Quoting myself and adding on:

I'm just watching episode 1 of the Grand Tour on Amazon on the laptop now and I have to say I have never seen colours like this on a laptop before. The screen is excellent.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think its too soon for such a question.

I mean if someone bought the MBP and didn't like it, they'd probably return it, given the high investment costs. I think only use and time, can we dicern how good it is. Similarly there's a dearth of apps for the touch bar, so we won't know how good that will be until we see more developers embrace it.

Just my $.02 :)

8. Marshall73 macrumors 65816

Marshall73

Sounds like a total nightmare, anyone reading this who has ordered a new 15" MacBook Pro should cancel it straight away.....

So I get mine quicker, HAHAHA

9. cmanbrazil macrumors regular

Or you could walk into an Apple Store and buy one like I did! I cancelled my preorder :p
    --- Post Merged, Nov 18, 2016 ---
    One more thing, I hope this keyboard shuts up after some consistent use. Cant imagine sitting in a meeting taking notes with this computer. Its worse than someone crunching on Fritos!

10. Marshall73 macrumors 65816

Marshall73

Do they have BTO 15" models? I have ordered a 15" 2.7Ghz/512SSD/Pro 460 4GB

11. uecker87 macrumors newbie

My local store didn't have that exact BTO config, but they had a few of the 15" 2.9Ghz/1TB/460 Pro configs in Space Gray.

12. Phisherman81 macrumors 6502

Phisherman81

I have the 13" EscapeBook Pro - 512GB SSD / 16GB RAM
    (I'm coming from an upgraded 2010 MBP 13" - 512GB Hybrid HDD / 8GB RAM)

It's amazing. I can't believe how far this line of laptops have come in just 6 years.
    1.5 lbs lighter, 1/2 the height and it fits in the 11.6 Chromebook sleeve I had lying around ;)

I really like the keyboard, it feels a little faster than I am, but I'm getting used to it.

It was not cheap, but I expect to use it for a long time.

I'm not sure if I'll sell my 2010 or hand it off to my son to learn on.

13. lobo1978, Nov 18, 2016

lobo1978 macrumors 6502

lobo1978

I'm testing now no Touch version waiting for Touchbar one.

From my point of view noTouch MacBook is a new MacBook Air. Instead of redesign apple will just kill original one (MB Air).

It is a good news because everybody was waiting for retina MacBook Air - for many screen quality was a deal breaker and they were using MacBook Pro - which is an obvious overkill for 80% of users. For 19% of users, new Pro version with Touchbar will be a worthy machine. For 1% of real power users (I'm not talking about specs 'collectors' but people doing actual stuff with laptops) it may be not enough.

In my opinion it is definitely not a pro machine - they should remove PRO from name - it is highly misleading and causing frustration. On the other hand it is justifying high price for 'MB Air class' laptop. But that's how business works...

14. Chad Brostorm macrumors newbie

It's been OK so far. Bought the machine because my 15" rMBP was just too unwieldy for commuting and working remotely. Keyboard is a bit better than the RMB, but not by much. Most of the apps I regularly use don't support TB, and won't for a long time, I imagine. Starting on my second battery cycle, but from what I've experienced and for my usage, 6.5-8 hours is fine for me. Could be better of course.

15. golfnut1982, Nov 18, 2016

golfnut1982 macrumors regular

golfnut1982

I don't have one, but I probably would not buy the current one if I was. I would get the prior generation. At least there are different ports. With all that Apple has done for Tech, they seem to be removing value, quality control, ports etc from their product lines but adding cost to the consumer instead. Taking a card reader and magsafe adapter away from the macbook pro line was idiotic. Everything is always about their bottom line in profit and driving the industry. How does removing a card reader and magsafe make a usb-c computer better? It's their opinion that a card reader is unnecessary. Tell that to the guy who now has to remember a dongle or adapter to do the same thing he always did for his workflow. Sad.

16. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

I'm definitely not. I'm not sure I'd be any happier with any of the other models. Basically, if I make a list of things I really want a laptop to have, the MBP line does basically none of them. Unfortunately for me, I want Mac OS X.

17. Spoony Bard macrumors regular

Quite happy here. No defects out of the box (dead/lit pixels, etc.). Aesthetically, the screen and build are typical Apple quality--fantastic fit and finish, and I love how the colours pop in the new display. In terms of performance, the 2016 absolutely smokes my 2012 MBP. Battery life seems fantastic, and I'm looking forward to doing some light gaming, though that obviously isn't the main reason why I bought it.

The one thing I was worried about was the keyboard. I had heard so much negativity about it, but it looks like I had nothing to worry about after all. I quite like it. I can type quickly and lightly--more so than on my older MBP. Maybe it's because I'm used to typing on a mechanical keyboard.

18. RobinInOR macrumors 6502

RobinInOR

Absolutely adore it. I didn't have any preconceived notions on what it could do. It does everything I've put to it so far. I'm migrating from a Snow Leopard iMac late 2009. It's wonderful to be current again.

I actually love the touchbar, it's come in handy a number of times. I've put the screen capture button on it, since I can never remember how to do that. Also put the get info button on the finder toolbar.

Keyboard is fine, I got used to it right away.

Battery length - I don't need to push the time, so it's not an important issue to me while it is to others. Still testing at work, yesterday I got 8 hours. At home I've got it hooked up to an external monitor so I'm not running it on battery.

Love the build quality - compared to my husbands XPS13 this is one solid machine.

19. montanaco macrumors 6502

montanaco

Yeah I'm in love. Coming from an early 2011 Pro, this is like an entirely new world. The screen, speed, touchbar, and keyboard have all blown me away--but honestly I think my biggest wow moment was how good these internal speakers are. So loud and crisp it's honestly unbelievable.

And to go into just a bit more detail on the touchbar: I really don't think it's a gimmick. Being able to scrub through a video/song playing in safari while I work in chrome and don't have to leave the page is awesome. Sliding through tabs, and hitting other easy shortcuts are all really convenient. No regrets on my purchase at all!

20. Macalway, Nov 18, 2016

Macalway macrumors 68020

I like the large trackpad very much. I couldn't figure out why they made it so large, but I've found some uses for it this way.

I've found using it with two hands I can click in a far corner with one hand and adjust things with the other. This is a tremendous help for a lot of things. Two handed track use is now possible, and will take the place of my Wacom tablet probably, or mostly. The screen is much better than previous models, as is the design in general.

Very desirable upgrade IMHO

21. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Apple made a beautiful machine and it's enjoyable to use. There are shortcomings so far like the battery life takes some nursing to get it to 9 hours, the keyboard is great - but noisy, and the screen is incredible but requires higher brightness. I can see why Apple takes these gambles (removing ports), because they made a piece of machinery that feels great and looks great even though the internals don't blow everyone away.

22. deadworlds macrumors 6502a

deadworlds

15" Space Gray MBP, 2.9Ghz, 1TB SSD, Radeon Pro 460

Im coming from a 2008 unibody MBP so this is a big improvement. The build quality on this thing is amazing, it is thinner, lighter, and does not compromise how sturdy it feels. The keyboard was strange at first, but I am actually liking it. My fingers would sometimes hit the older chickelet style keys when moving from one letter to another, causing some typos. The new flatter keys obviously don't have this problem, and yes, they are "click" but its a not an issue for me. The screen is very colorful, it is comparable to a big screen tv, something like a Sony Bravia in terms of color. Another plus is the hinge that holds the screen. My older MBP screen hinge could not hold the screen open when working at some angles. Either the screen would move back, or it would come forward.

I've had mixed feelings about the touch bar. Its great being able to use touch ID to log in and also for system password pop-ups. I've also enjoyed the shortcuts it displays depending on the App you are using. I was using xCode last night and I find it convenient being able to press the "play" button to build and run the code. It also has buttons for commenting whole lines of code, indenting, and looking up code definitions. When debugging it displays the "jump over", "jump into" , and "jump out" buttons. That way you can be putting user input with the track pad and using your other hand to jump over lines of code.

The biggest hurdle I see for the touch bar is going to be developer support. The touch bar will only be as good as the the support from developers . One example is Word, Microsoft has yet to update Word to use the touch bar. As a result, the touch bar is practically unused in that scenario. Currently typing on the forums displays buttons to change text color, bold, italicize and underline. I get that I could easily take my hands off the keyboard and use the trackpad to select the same buttons, but its more convenient to reach up and tap the corresponding button. Its basically like having F keys with macros.

The battery life has actually been really good! Im coming form a 2008 unibody so anything over 2Hrs of batter life is a huge improvement for me. Last night I was playing a video from youtube, browsing the internet and working on a word document all while being quoted an estimated 10 hrs of battery life. Its also worth nothing that I usually have the screen brightness set to about 75% and I like my keyboard backlight set to about 50%.

Heat has not been an issue for me, I run Vmware fusion often and this will kick the fans into higher RPM and also cause the laptop to heat up, but again I'm coming from a 2008 unibody MBP and that thing gets super hot just browsing the web. Currently just writing this article my new MBP still feels pretty cool on the bottom and just slightly warm on the aluminum above the touch bar.

The enlarged trackpad has taken me some time to get used to. On the older models i would rest my left thumb right under the space bar and use my right hand to move the mouse. Now this is no longer possible because the palm rejection thinks I'm resting my palms and will ignore my finger. Its not a deal breaker, its just an adjustment I've had to make. On the upside, it is now easier to move windows across the screen because I'm not running out of space on the trackpad. This is also my first laptop with a force touch trackpad and the simulated click is really convincing, so much so that I took a flash light to see if it moved at all when i would "click."

That wraps up my lengthily review of almost every aspect of my 15" space gray MBP

23. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

13" non-touchbar MacBook Pro. Only two days but so far love it. Faster than I expected. Beautiful screen. Love the keyboard. Battery goes all day. Thin and light.

Every now and then I think about the touchbar given the amount of developer attention directed towards it, but I'd rather not give up battery life and a cool, silent machine for the touchbar. Plus, there's better things I could do with the $300 (like putting it towards a 4K desktop monitor).

24. cmanbrazil macrumors regular

Yea my first was a BTO 13 inch as well, and I really thought about the 460 15 inch, because it was only a $100 upgrade, but out of the store it was only available on the top of the line one so I settled for a computer that is more powerful than I will need in the for seeable future. I bought the 2799 US one.

25. Kris.K macrumors newbie

Kris.K

What did you upgrade from?