Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DC Wallaby

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2014
I am debating the same two watches. I think we won't know more until we see and try them on in person. Maybe the rubber band will feel better than typical Casio rubber bands? I am worried about how the Milanese Loop would feel if it wasn't in full complete contact with my wrist. Would it be too floppy? Of course, then there is the looks of the Space Grey vs the SS in person.
I have a steel mesh band for my Martian Notifier, which I haven't been able to figure out how to adjust. It's a little loose, but not uncomfortably so. I haven't had any problems with it. Not floppy at all. I suspect I wouldn't have any issues with the Milanese Loop band either.

I know I should probably just preorder both and then cancel one or the other once I get the chance to try them on in-store. But in all honesty, this whole thing comes down to a cost-benefits analysis for me. Either I get the watch I know I want despite the expense, or I cheap out in hopes of getting the one I want at a later time.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I am completely torn. I WANT the Space Black SS, but not the link bracelet, and I don't want to pay $1100 if it's not what I want. I like how it looks with the blue leather or brown. I'd also like a classic buckle, but they aren't made in black SS.

I also really like the Space Gray Sport, but again, none of the metal bands have space gray, and I want the better quality metals and front glass. Space gray looks good with the blue and brown leather as well.

My wife on the other hand wanted the rose gold with pink modern buckle the second she saw it (wasn't it white originally?)... then we realized it was solid gold and knew it would be pricey. Even if it would have come in at $3500, she had already changed her mind, but $17k?? So now she still wants one, but in SS with the brown modern buckle for daily use and white sport band for working out/running.

Really hoping 3rd party options are available for bands, but wish I could just buy the black SS with black sport band. I mean why not, you can buy SS with a sport band.

I wanted that rose gold one, too. I'm just not enough of a watch person to justify going over 1K on an Apple Watch so I'm damned sure not paying 17K. ;)

My alternate is similar to your wife's. SS for sure. I think I'll go for the modern buckle and a sport. Still deciding on colors.

Yamisky0

macrumors member
May 17, 2007
After not wanting it at launch, to realizing I "need" it, I think I've settled on the Apple Watch Sport Space Grey with black sports strap as that will go well with nearly any attire while I wait for aftermarket straps.

Next year, when my financial situation is a little better, I will be selling this and getting an Appe Watch SS, but for the first gen I am only hopping in at the sports level.

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
I wanted that rose gold one, too. I'm just not enough of a watch person to justify going over 1K on an Apple Watch so I'm damned sure not paying 17K. ;)

My alternate is similar to your wife's. SS for sure. I think I'll go for the modern buckle and a sport. Still deciding on colors.

She wants the brown modern buckle and white sport band for now... she also likes the blue modern buckle, and honestly I think she'd like the Milanese loop. That's what I thought I'd like for myself until I saw videos of it. It's too cloth-like for me.

The more I look at pics, the more I like the black SS the most, and as always it's the most expensive choice (aside from gold)

Esexx

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
Damn...Thanks a lot Wallaby! (little kangaroo??) I have been looking at the mesh band and I am liking what I see. Throw another variable in to the mix.

I would say "Milanese," but I didn't know how to spell it so I didn't want to look dumb.

I have been contemplating the same thing, either buy exactly what I wanted (black SS) in the first place or settle for another version.

I have a steel mesh band for my Martian Notifier, which I haven't been able to figure out how to adjust. It's a little loose, but not uncomfortably so. I haven't had any problems with it. Not floppy at all. I suspect I wouldn't have any issues with the Milanese Loop band either.

I know I should probably just preorder both and then cancel one or the other once I get the chance to try them on in-store. But in all honesty, this whole thing comes down to a cost-benefits analysis for me. Either I get the watch I know I want despite the expense, or I cheap out in hopes of getting the one I want at a later time.

gorkt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2007
I thought I had settled on the SS with Milanese band, but now I am leaning towards the sport silver with white band. I like the look of both, and I don't think I can justify the extra $300 for materials with the same functionality. Plus I am afraid the SS will scuff and look worn after a few months. The matte finish seems a little more wear friendly. As far as the screen scuffing, I will just throw on a screen protector.

I will most likely pre-order the Sport on the 10th and then go view the watches in person to whether the $300 is justified.

Esexx

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
Thats seems to be the delima...the cost.

My SS daily driver I wear every day to work for the past 5 years doesnt look bad at all. There are scratches on the bottom links where it comes in contact with desks etc, however I can easly re-brush the links myself if it gets too bad.

The black SS :apple:Watch is another story.

I will also pre-order on the 10th. I plan on ordering 2 if possible and keeping the one I like best. Hopefully I will be able to handle one in person at the Apple store soon!

I thought I had settled on the SS with Milanese band, but now I am leaning towards the sport silver with white band. I like the look of both, and I don't think I can justify the extra $300 for materials with the same functionality. Plus I am afraid the SS will scuff and look worn after a few months. The matte finish seems a little more wear friendly. As far as the screen scuffing, I will just throw on a screen protector.

I will most likely pre-order the Sport on the 10th and then go view the watches in person to whether the $300 is justified.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
Absolutely not. I've first wanted the black aluminum with black sport band, but when I thought about getting third party bands down the road, the stainless steel model made most sense. Now it's just down to which size.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
She wants the brown modern buckle and white sport band for now... she also likes the blue modern buckle, and honestly I think she'd like the Milanese loop. That's what I thought I'd like for myself until I saw videos of it. It's too cloth-like for me.

The more I look at pics, the more I like the black SS the most, and as always it's the most expensive choice (aside from gold)

I love the black SS. If they had anything that matched it besides the link band, I'd go for it right away. That particular band reminds me too much of the Tag Heuer Carrera I almost bought. Doesn't look very comfortable or something. I bought a Tag Link instead. If the Apple Watch had a band with smoother looking links, I'd absolutely go for it.

I think I'd spend all day fiddling with the Milanese loop. It's just too easy to sit there with during meetings and fidget with it. :)

wxnats

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
Northern Virginia
I am likely getting the 38 mm SS with Modern blue buckle. Slender 31 y/o professional male. I like the link band but no way am I paying that much for an Apple Watch.

dubv23

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2015
Im not 100% sure yet but my top pick is the SS with blue loop band. This is pending the actual color of the band when I see it in person. I have the midnight blue leather case on my iPhone and i really like the blue. I know they won't match but I hope the bright blue loop isn't too bright.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i'm still on the fence. I'll prob get the sport as I'll prob get a 2nd gen. Just unsure about color...
I really like the black band/space gray for everyday. But the white band i think would look good when I want to casually dress up. (i.e. not a t-shirt and gym shorts :p (Polo and jeans/button down/v-neck sweater and jeans etc)

I know the regular alum would look good on both black and white bands...i'm unsure about the space gray and white sport band. thoughts?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 10.20.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 10.20.27 PM.png
    98.7 KB · Views: 78

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Have to see all the combos in real life. There's too many variables to be able to appreciate what you want from the pictures we've seen

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Don't like the look of the sport one. Like the Apple watch and the edition but the edition is too much so I know I'll be getting the Apple watch. I also prefer the silver face to the space grey. I like a few of the straps but I intend to buy different straps so it doesn't matter too much which one I buy. I'll be getting the SS, 38mm with the modern pink buckle.

Esexx

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
New day...

I woke up and decided to difenetly get the black SS. Final decision! (For now at least)

I will still order the black Sport too, just in case.

truesepho

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2014
It took me a while, but I'll go with the Milanese loop SS 42mm and a black sport wristband for the gym :)
I might get the classic buckle as well in black leather at some point in the future, for a look a bit more casual than the loop :D

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA
Keep going back and forth between:
38 and 42mm AW SS Milanese
With or without classic leather buckle on the side
Definitely with black sport band on the side

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
I've changed my mind between the regular stainless steel and black stainless steel, but I've decided on the black one.

I've been back and forth on space grey sport and space black SS, but I decided if I'm going to buy one, I'm going to buy the one I REALLY want, the black stainless. I'll just get a black sport band to go with it for active days.

Now, to wait one month and two days......

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I've been back and forth on space grey sport and space black SS, but I decided if I'm going to buy one, I'm going to buy the one I REALLY want, the black stainless. I'll just get a black sport band to go with it for active days.

Now, to wait one month and two days......

Yep, same here with the sport band.

Plus if this video is any indication, the carbon coating will make it very scratch resistant.

http://youtu.be/02LAMOpEVq4

Esoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Colorado
I'm all over the place, have considered all 3 watches, keep coming back to Stainless SS, or anodized silver Sport, 42mm with a 3rd party link band, the Stainless SS is prob what I'll get.

Sigh... I already have 2 Pebble Steels and backed the Pebble Time Steel

zacheryjensen

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
Day 1 of announcement, immediately chose the SS + Link Band because that is my preferred general watch style and always has been. Also the space black looked basically like a slight tint to the regular SS. So that was easy.

But then I saw the leaked pic of someone wearing one in real life and it looked so bad. So cheap 80's casio. I am sure it's high quality, blah blah, but it has no character, just flat, straight slats one after another. Who cares if they subtly shrink? BFD. Today, that plainness as so far out of line with what's desired. It's a matter of settling big time compared to just about anything else offered from other manufacturers. And that's a shame, because, the resizing features, the mechanical design, everything else about it, it's just amazing. I have no qualms with the price.

So I decided milanese. I like metal watches. That's the only other choice.

Then the March event happened and I started looking again and new pictures showed up of the space black SS watch and it actually looked *black* ... in some shots. WTF is up with that? Well I finally found some images of other brand watches in DLC coating and they are maybe like... #2 pencil graphite black. Couple that with being a bit shiny and I can see how the lighting would massively impact the apparent darkness of the watch. Still, it looked better now and I felt the blackness overrode the boring nature of the band. That became my favorite.

But then I started looking at some of the alternatives and how they might be worn. I actually kind of liked the Space Gray Sport which I hadn't noticed before. And still liked the Milanese but there's no space black version of that... so I asked the wife what she thought of the Milanese band and I think she threw up in her mouth a little.

So no more Milanese. Space black it is, right?

Okay maybe for like a week. Then I started thinking about size. Right now, I wear a Citizen black stiletto and like it. It's a 36mm face, full black-out design, very impractical but cool looking. Seems like even the 38mm Apple Watch is going to be oversized so I started thinking about what might make up for that. Finally came around on the modern buckle, because, the classic buckle is going to be too much of a pain to remove every day maybe more often. Pass. But the modern buckle is a cool design, and despite claims to the contrary, it's gender neutral depending on style. For example, a Parisian casual men's style, it blends right in, no problem. So anyway, that was becoming my preference.

Buuuuut then I saw the shininess and smoothness of the leather in a video and bleh... I don't like it. Too plastic looking. Not the kind of leather I like. Never mind! Also, about the same time I learned the Pebble Steel (not Time Steel, but the older one) is very similar in size to the Apple Watch 42mm, just a bit taller, 46mm tall. So I found one to try on and frankly, it's okay. Definitely on the big side, but, so is the 38 with 10.5mm of thickness to account for, so I opened up to 42mm, with reservations of course.

Now I started looking at the Space Black 42mm again, thinking that is the best for sure, naturally, since it's the most expensive. THen I remembered all those days I took my link band watch off and set it on the desk because it rubbed around on my MacBook Pro 15" w/ Retina and that drove me crazy (not to mention wore scratches into both objects) from time to time and maybe it's not the best option.

Rubber? No thanks.

And now, at 42mm, we finally arrive at one option: leather link.

So there we go. Glad for this delay actually, because, had I not gone through the various steps of consideration, I almost certainly would've been dissatisfied with my choice. I'm a little bummed that it ended up as a process of elimination leaving literally 4 choices, all of which are color, and only maybe 2 are appealing right now, but, at least it's the most unique band, a nice leather, and probably the style with the greatest chance to receive new colors in the near term.

So I'm going to order the 42mm SS + Black Leather Loop as well as a sport band, not sure which, maybe lime green :) it's just for athletic time and the like. I might even grab a light brown or sand colored leather loop as well to mix things up. We'll see. But, I am certainly looking forward to being able to rest my wrists on my MBP and not worry about that awful metal on metal scraping anymore. Plus, with the regular stainless, I have the most open options for changing my mind down the road.

So come on now, Apple, bring on the preorder! :) April 10th is arriving too slowly.

Jamesk811

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2015
Ya I mean the great thing about Apple products is they retain a lot of value. As long as you sell yearly you can get 50% off the next purchase. at least.

----------

Uhg.. I know. I don't care about the band. I just want the black SS.

Me too but not many of the bands would look with it other than the black or blue leather loop or the black sports band so you're very limited. Because if that's what you want you could always but the space black stainless steel then sell the black stainless steel link bracelet on eBay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.