Are you upgrading to Ilife 09?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macfan881, Jan 6, 2009.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

well with the relase of ilife 09 are you planning on upgrading
    i am mainly for the following reason

1. Facebook finally built in to Iphoto
    2. imovie looks great compared to 08 i downgraded to imovie HD
    3. Iweb now you can use FTP with i web THANK YOU APPLE.

2. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Should have made a poll.

Yes, I'm going to upgrade. And I'm going to upgrade to iWork 09.

I'm not going for iWork.com though. It's ridiculous that it isn't included in the iWork price.

3. Pees330 macrumors 6502

I definitely like all the new features in iPhoto. That is the only program that I use on a regular basis. The Facebook and Flickr uploaders are a nice touch. With all the programs I probably will upgrade at some point in the near future.

4. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Nah, all I really need it for is iPhoto, and I can't justify $79 for that when my current iPhoto 08 is working just fine and meets all my needs. If Apple offers an updated "box set" of iLife, iWork and Snow Leopard then I might consider it, but otherwise I think I'll just wait for iLife '10 or '11 to ship for free with a new Mac, and that might be around the time I'll be buying a new machine. ;) :cool:

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I was just about to post the same thing. iPhoto looks like a decent upgrade but not enough to rush out and buy it.

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I don't have to buy the upgrade, but I would. Just for the photo tagging upgrades alone, that's huge to me (I have a huge photo library from a lot of different events and tagging them has always been difficult, but this looks to make it much easier).

jW

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Unfortunately I don't see that updated box set being very likely, but we'll just have to wait and see...

9. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I'll be upgrading when this comes out. Really looking forward to the iMovie updates. They finally adding back in the effects they stripped from iMovie HD.

I also really like the built facebook feature for iPhoto. The face detection might be worth it too.

I don't use iWeb or iDvd, so no biggie for me that they didn't get big updates.

10. kepardue macrumors 6502

Yep, I'm going to upgrade when it's available. iMovie looks improved, but mainly all I use it for is organizing my home video. I have Final Cut for editing. But iPhoto's update is REALLY nice. For about three versions I've been wanting better tagging something akin to Adobe Photoshop Album where I could organize into categories for people, places, and events.

Keywords were an improvement but it was a pain since they couldn't be categorized.

Leave it to Apple to actually take the time and do what I want but even better than I expected. I guess we should have seen it in iPhoto '08 with "Events", now it fulfills the People and Places, too. And very intelligently, it seems.

Also, as a casual, man-I'd-sure-like-to-learn-to-play-an-instrument person, I'm also looking forward to the lessons in GarageBand.

So yeah, I'm in for an upgrade.

11. zorahk macrumors 6502

From this thread I have produced the following question:

You mean people pay for iLife and iWork updates?

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

13. kepardue macrumors 6502

14. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Summarizes my position perfectly. Thanks for saving me the work of typing it out! :D

15. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

I'll upgrade when it ships. I didn't bother to dig iLife 08 off my 10.4 discs when I upgraded my hard drive recently anyway.

16. camboy8 macrumors newbie

Most Definitely

yeah totally, iMovie '08 sucks so this update is definitely worth the money, and i don't have a .mac account so the FTP with iWeb will actually make me use it for the first time! The presentation sucked tho, all there was was 3 little updates nothing new.

17. kepardue macrumors 6502

I was okay with the presentation. Nothing groundbreaking, but that actually illustrates the reason Apple bailed on MacWorld. Apple has gotten to where they release solid but incremental updates through the year, can you imagine the pressure that's on them to release something revolutionary only in January or June? That's probably why Apple stock has fallen after pretty much every Macworld for the last several years.

18. dwsolberg macrumors 6502a

Yes

This is an amazing price for this set of software, and I'll upgrade with the family pack. I'm especially exciting about the iPhoto features, but my wife is excited about Garageband. I do understand why others may hesitate, though, because the '08 suite is already very nice.

19. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i'm going to upgrade from ilife 08 to 09 and i will buy the new iwork. however i'll wait a few weeks or even month to see if snow leopard is going to be free or part of a bundle.

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well since my MacPro and MacBook Air came with Leopard, the only other laptop I have is running a retail version of Tiger. I was considering Leopard for it so they were all in sync. The $169 price tag is nice. I think I may upgrade to iLife 09, I don't use iWork so it may not be useful to me.

21. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

fo shizzle, upgrading as soon as it releases. I gotta spend my apple dollars on something since nothing else worth a damn released today.

22. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I haven't even bought iLife '08 yet so I am thinking about it. I decided to skip every other revision to save a little money. I am sort of interested in the new iPhoto, but honestly I am still pretty happy with iMovie HD 6.

23. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

No problem, any time my friend! ;) :) Glad to know I'm not the only one with that opinion who's in that situation. ;)

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I just love how inexpensive these are for such great software!

Living under the current rule of microsoft selling software for $200+ it boggles my mind you can get such amazing software for so cheap!:eek:

25. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Nope, I have no desire to upgrade to iLife 09. I don't use any of the iLife programs, except for perhaps iMovie which I have used a couple times but not enough to justify the upgrade. Some of the new features are pretty cool, but I use Lightroom and Photoshop for anything photo related, I don't create music, and I'm not a videographer so thus it would be pointless.