Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

104402-ipodnano5g.jpg_425.jpg

iLounge posts an artist rendition of what it believes the next-generation iPod nano will look like. According to the site, the new iPod nano will see a wider screen (1:5:1 ratio), smaller click wheel, and built-in camera.
Finally, there’s a camera on the back in an unusual location, one which conceivably might be blocked by hands… except when the iPod nano is corner-gripped for photography. It will debut at the same time as the new iPod touch, between July and September. Our gut feeling is September.
The report seems to confirm a recent claim from HardMac that the new iPod Nano will contain a camera. Of interest, HardMac also said in the same report that the next iPod Touch would also include a camera. Both models are expected to be refreshed around September of this year.

Article Link: Artist Rendition of 5G iPod Nano with Camera?

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
That really is a bit of a bizarre place to put it. Perhaps the screen and thinness of the device is limiting its placement.

Comment

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
I don't think this will happen.
The Apple we know would never do this.

Comment

InTheUnion

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2009
The camera isnt that unusually placed if you hold it in landscape :rolleyes:

Artist Rendition of 5G iPod Nano with Camera?

Has it really got to the point where we question the credibility of things we know arent real? lol:)

Comment

MHerstand

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2008
Madison, WI
So I get that it could work, given you only take pics while holding the iPod in landscape, but there's no button to press to actually take the picture! You'd think the artist who rendered this would have put in a little button - pressing the click-wheel while holding it in landscape would be crazy.

Comment

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Artist renditions are nothing more than speculation with illustration. Someone took their speculation and made a pic of it. I won't believe it until someone hears something from Apple.

Comment

Blonderator

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2007
I think the idea is you'd hold the iPod on its side (with the screen in landscape) rather than upside down. Rather weird placement though.

Just an artist mock up.

Comment

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Doesn't really do much for me. Looks too much like the old ones.

Comment

MHerstand

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2008
Madison, WI
not too sure about the position of the camera. i really don't see the point of a camera on a nano anyways

I think Apple wants to cut into the market of people who buy digital cameras simply to have a camera (and don't care about quality). I mean, syncing with iTunes already makes picture taking on a nano easier than normal digital cameras. It's a nice vision of the future to think that every electronic device has a camera on it. In the beginning, people probably said "why have cameras on cellphones?" but most of us probably wouldn't buy one without a camera now.

Comment

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
I very much doubt that the nano will get a camera. Apple will innovate with the nano, but I very much doubt in this direction.

Can believe however that the screen size may increase.

Comment

lazyrighteye

macrumors 68020
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
So I get that it could work, given you only take pics while holding the iPod in landscape, but there's no button to press to actually take the picture! You'd think the artist who rendered this would have put in a little button - pressing the click-wheel while holding it in landscape would be crazy.

Crazier than a camera on a nano?

Comment

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Yeah, in landscape thats where I would expect it... however I really don't see this happening. Cameras in phones have very little utility other than sharing something on the fly. Given that the nano doesn't have wifi or cellular, I really don't see any point what so ever. In the touch, I think its a natural extension. In the nano I don't really see the point.

This is all based on the current small cameras which pretty much suck. Throw in a larger sensor, flash, auto focus, optical zoom, etc and you would be in business. Again, not something I see happening soon, or at least before the iphone/itouch gets it.

Comment

tradervic

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2007
Same article mentions 6 iPhone SKUs with 2 for enhanced 3G.

Which countries would benefit from enhanced 3G?

Comment

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
yeah i totally see that as the new nano. makes sense on all angles including where the camera is. think about it people prefer landscape many times over portrait....

Comment

ddTaylor

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2007

iPhone? How is THAT different from the iPhone? It has a relatively odd spot for a camera and in landscape mode you have to press a screen with no tactile feel. I think a camera on a MP3 player is strange and generally not needed with the fact that most phones have good camera and it will surely increase the cost of the iPod. I hope they offer a model sans the camera for less as I could not justify spending even $15 extra dollars for an addition that will not ONCE be used by me or my wife - or even my children.

D

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.