Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolant113

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
New Jersey
It looks really nicee.... I think that the unibody design as one user mentioned might be a very accurate speculation.. I wouldn't be surprised if they did do something like that. There goes the hope of some people of there eventually being a removable battery tho. The speaker moved up a little bit, i am not really feeling that at all.. You gotta hold it lower, it also makes it look cheaply designed i think.. But i would take it if there was a camera which moved the speaker up.. As far as the colors the only other color besides black and white that i could see coming is silver and hats if they go with a different body to the iphone which is seaming more and more unlikely. :apple::apple:

Tsurisuto

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
I was hoping for more of a change. Maybe:

a. Thinner borders around the side (left, right, and top).
b. A wider (taller) 16:9 screen.

But the good news is that now Apple have a plastic bezel, we might see a complete white version of the iPhone.

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
It looks really nicee.... I think that the unibody design as one user mentioned might be a very accurate speculation.. I wouldn't be surprised if they did do something like that. There goes the hope of some people of there eventually being a removable battery tho. The speaker moved up a little bit, i am not really feeling that at all.. You gotta hold it up higher, it also makes it look cheaply designed i think.. But i would take it if there was a camera which moved the speaker up.. As far as the colors the only other color besides black and white that i could see coming is silver and hats if they go with a different body to the iphone which is seaming more and more unlikely. :apple::apple:

1) The iPhone already is unibody!! if you mean Aluminum the say aluminum but aluminum =/= unibody
2) Apple never has and never will put a removable battery into its portable devices. The iPod has been around for like 8 years now, they're not gonna start with the removable battery now...

mikecap

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
Room for front facing camera?

With the speaker at the top, it looks like there'd be room at the top of the phone for a front facing camera lens - video chat??

casik

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2007
Alberta
I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter what Apple does to it, we will all want the new one. Thats just the way we all are.

Pomares

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
Can't be it...

I just don't think that Apple would call that an upgrade in looks. I understand about the compromise with plastic for signal strength, but I so hope that the new iPhone would look better than the current one. This looks like a downgrade to me.

I would like to see what an artist could do in terms of bringing the design of the new iPhone in line with the new unibody laptop line.

Fitty Cent

macrumors member
May 14, 2009
Yup, the assumptions are incorrect...

Are you sure about that ? Think twice.

The slot or whatever at the top is NOT for the speaker, that's for the SIM card. Get your iPhones out folks. The bezel goes under the glass.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
With the speaker moving up, I think it is more likely that the screen will stay the same, and the whole device might get a bit shorter.

I was just wondering the same thing- maybe they were able to make the unit shorter (but with same screen size.) So they move the speaker up a bit to also preserve the original distance between speaker and microphone at the bottom.

I don't recall any prior details about the piece, so don't know if that's possible or not.

patrickdunn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Nice Photoshop effort. I really hope we get a bit of a desgin change, it really looks slick. However, I will still be in line for the 32gb (if released).

johnthevulcan

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2006
iphone is not already unibody!!!

the idea of a bezel and 'unibody' plastic back is silly.... its not one piece... the 2econd gen ipod touch could be considered unibody since the bezel and rear cover are the same piece.... now we also know if this is real that the new device is not unibody as we are discussing a single part that is not a unibody back cover/bezel part... thank you and have a nice day.:apple:

mattster16

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2004
This is what happens when a technical (somewhat) term is marketed. I'm talking about 'unibody' here. People who have no concept of what it actually means start throwing it around: "Maybe they will make the new iPhone a unibody!"

It is unibody already! How else would they make it? The new macbook still has a separate piece to cover the bottom face. It's not just a hollow block of aluminum. How would they get all the components inside? Unibody just means there isn't a separate structural frame being utilized.

mattster16

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2004
the idea of a bezel and 'unibody' plastic back is silly.... its not one piece... the 2econd gen ipod touch could be considered unibody since the bezel and rear cover are the same piece.... now we also know if this is real that the new device is not unibody as we are discussing a single part that is not a unibody back cover/bezel part... thank you and have a nice day.:apple:

Unibody means the frame is integrated into the body, not that the body consists of only one piece.

Think of an automobile there are two types: unibody and body-on-frame. A unibody vehicle still consists of multiple parts.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
It's not "news" really. Just a rumor. Hence MacRUMORS.com.

Well, my point is that a "rumor" is something that someone heard from some source that may or may not be true, but it is a representation of a fact that has some source. This is just a photoshop picture created by some guy based on no facts really that basically shows an iPhone 3G is a very minor case change. What's the point? Are we THAT desparate for anything related to the new iPhone?

Maybe I'll draw a stick figure of Steve Jobs holding a pencil drawing of what I think the new iPhone will look like complete with video cam, game controller, 10" screen, and 128 GB capacity. Then we can display THAT here.:)

Tony

chipmonkey

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2009
Halifax, Canada
Too too too too much time on my hands...

"Shoop" has got to be the lamest word in the urban dictionary. Seriously, when you're using slang for Photoshop, it's just sad. :p

ifonline

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
Braselton, Georgia
This isn't going to be enough of a change. I am floored at how so many people here (but not all) drool over the most idiotic crap... Apple removes (possibly, still just a rumor, don't forget) the chrome bezel and moves the speaker closer to the top edge of the case, and these people fall all over themselves with glee:

That's freakin' amazing! Look what they did there... they moved a hole on the front of the device and changed the colored plastic a bit! Apple is staffed with magicians I tell you! Magicians! Or maybe Apple is staffed with God himself, for us mere mortals couldn't come up with something so insanely original!

Really? Are these people that enamored with Apple that they can keep on pushing the same tired design year after year, and these people will lap it up like dogs? Oh, yeah, wait... the first year the case was half aluminum and "thick," and the second year the case was plastic, came in white, and was "thin." Got it... huge freakin' change in design there. And the rumors now indicate that in this third year, the design will be the same (minus the chrome bezel and speaker placement)? Really? This is the best that the design team can come up with... the same crap?

Where's the slider? Where's the flip? Where's the actual freakin' keyboard? Bigger screen? Wider screen? Smaller phone (the Nano Phone or what-the-hell-ever)? Where's the choice (even by Apple's standards)? Imagine what it would be like for those of us that like Apple products if Apple made one desktop and/or one laptop? That's it! That's all you get!

Hogwash.

RIM continuously pushes out new phones with different designs... the Pearl, the Pearl Flip, the Bold, the Curve, the Storm... a selection. It's fine if you don't like RIM or want a BlackBerry, because the point I am making is that there is a selection available from RIM.

Palm is introducing the Pre. I have considered the Pre not much to write home about for so long, but as the Pre's release gets closer and closer, I am noticing more and more that the Pre is a heck of a device with some truly forward-thinking engineering. And guess what... Palm already has another device in the wings with a different design. Imagine that... again, you don't have to like Palm or want a Palm device, but they too support the argument that choice is good.

Heck, even the arch-enemy Microsoft supports numerous devices with many different design options with their mobile OS...

So what about Apple?

mattster16

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2004
Too too too too much time on my hands...

"Shoop" has got to be the lamest word in the urban dictionary. Seriously, when you're using slang for Photoshop, it's just sad. :p

What does shoop even mean? I've never heard it before.. except in that Salt N Pepa song.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.