Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Can't believe what I am Reading.

Can't believe I had to go out.

What is the follow-on target?

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
somewhere around 226 to avoid it

Somebody pinch me I think I'm dreaming :D

So funny, Sky switch to the commentary box to speak to Russell Crow and down goes another wicket.
152-8 and 74 short of avoiding the follow on...

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
It could all be over today (OK, being a tad optimistic…).
Which would be a pity since I was looking forward to 3 more days…

Ah well. :D

Edit: Of course had Engand lost the toss on Thursday and Australia had batted first we'd probaby be down in the dumps right now.

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
Be nice to get rid of the tail in the first half hour and if they are 6 or 7 wickets down by the end of the day then we'll have a great chance. Of course, can't rule out us having to get 150-200 and failing miserably.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Australia: 215 all out

Soooo.
1. Enforce the follow on? But today's wicket is definitely not the same bowling heaven as yesterday, which means Austtralia could get past the 200 deficit and rack up a decent total for England to catch up to.

2. England go in and add up a massive total — running the risk of not being able to bowl Australia out again so cheaply and the game ending in a draw.

Decisions, decisions. :)

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
Surprised England didn't force the follow on, but if they can get a lead of 500 up tonight (which at their current RR they wont) they have 2 days to bowl the Auzzies out.

On another note, how good is SkyPlayer? :eek:!!!!!! I need this for the next PL season.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Surprised England didn't force the follow on, but if they can get a lead of 500 up tonight (which at their current RR they wont) they have 2 days to bowl the Auzzies out.

Having watched the early afternoon session I can see it both ways. Not a great bowling wicket so good to get the batters in and notch up the score.

That said it also hasn't been a great batting wicket either. It would be good to have a go at them this evening but I would say that the plan depending on run rate is to declare either over night or really quite early tomorrow having had a smash around.

On another note, how good is SkyPlayer? :eek:!!!!!! I need this for the next PL season.

I haven't set mine up just yet but will most likely do so. Is it totally free?

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
I haven't set mine up just yet but will most likely do so. Is it totally free?

I can't decide. I seem to remember that for July and August it is, but of course there isn't much that actually makes it way onto there because of various broadcasting rights and such. At the moment though, it's most wonderful for The Ashes.

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
I can't decide. I seem to remember that for July and August it is, but of course there isn't much that actually makes it way onto there because of various broadcasting rights and such. At the moment though, it's most wonderful for The Ashes.

Seems pretty good but I'll stick with my slingbox.

So, what lead will we have when we declare??? I think around 500-520

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop

I think we need to get up and around 500 and to do so quickly. I have been surprised how good the weather has been so it would be great to get them in and hopefully knock a couple over tonight as wouldn't want the rain to take this match into a draw.

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!

Just been listening to Sir Ian, I think getting the Auzzies in for 5 overs tonight sounds like a plan, have Freddie chuck a few in their faces. Collingwood and Prior flying.

Edit: Just as I say it, Prior ran out.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
You have bowled EXTREMELY poor if it's not. Thats almost 100 more than the all time record for successful run chases.

1 over in the morning and declare.

I'd agree with Botham on that strategy. But saying that, Strauss seems to lack that killer instinct to put the boot in.

Let's hope he listens to some good advice.

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
You have bowled EXTREMELY poor if it's not. Thats almost 100 more than the all time record for successful run chases.

1 over in the morning and declare.

But this is England and as we all know, anything is possible with us and Cricket.

If it's dry in the morning then I'd have a couple of overs and then get Flintoff and Anderson out with the new ball.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I'd say declare, with rain stopping play this evening and showers tomorrow need all the time possible to have a decent chance of getting them out.

remmy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Really hate it if the Aussies are saved by the rain.

I hope Strauss is brave tomorrow, that 521 I think is 100 more than the best ever?? and this Aussie side is good but not the greatest side ever.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
35-2

Great start, I would say that the ball probably just didn't carry to the Strauss and the benefit of the doubt should go to the batter.

remmy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Agreed, two mistakes from the umpires, they were having a good series so far weren't they?

Yesterdays decision showed to me that you cannot rely on video replays to always give the answer. Have to wait to the highlights tonight to see what happened today :(

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
35-2

Great start, I would say that the ball probably just didn't carry to the Strauss and the benefit of the doubt should go to the batter.

You win some, you lose some :D

Nice start though. Don't think it will matter too much if a fair amount of time is lost to rain today, tomorrow is looking good. If we can take them through tomorrow with 5 or 6 down then happy days!!!

EDIT: Ricky's gone :D

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Today should be a cracker if the boys can hold together.

Runs shouldn't be a problem but we've gotta stop getting out. Grind em out lads, grind out those runs.

Would be an epic run chase if we did mow it down, biggest ever run chase to be precise and a great way to go 1up in the series.

Tonight is gonna be good, hopefully.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
It would be a great achievement, however it is a hell of a lot of cricket to play for both Clarke and Haddin. If Clarke gets out I am not sure that it will be achievable.

And Haddin just got out. Will be very difficult to recover from here I think. Doable yes however will require a hell of a lot of resistance.

I think the wickets will eek out and England win.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.