Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Does IOS8 track monthly billing cycle, and thus month-month data usage is easier? Ala how Android does.

Hotknees

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2014
Queenstown, New Zealand
Notifications

Hey guys,

One of the things that has bugged me and surely all of you for years is the lack of 'notification sync'.

Last year it was touted as part of ios7 but it never seemed to come to fruition other than using iMessage. I still have to clear FaceTime calls, email and other notifications from stock apple apps other than iMessage.

Is there any indication this has been resolved in iOS 8 and third party apps?

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx
Is there an option to press "enter" to send in iMessage? when using a bluetooth keyboard it's annoying to have to reach up from the keyboard to press "send" on in messages.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Mail Read Notification

One thing thats bugged me for ages is that when an email comes in, if you read it on the mac, it does not get marked as read on the iPhone/ipad or vice versa. Seems to have no similar problems with iMessages, just email.

So, is this finally fixed in iOS 8? or do we still have to open the mail app to clear down the unread badge.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Not so stupid question that I really want answered: So right now in iOS 7 if you get a group message you get a notification with the senders name. I'm guessing that is the same in iOS 8. But my question is. In iOS 8 if you pull down for quick reply and it's a group message does it show that it's a group message or the other peoples names or something like that? It could be bad to send a message to what you thought was one person and have it turn out to be more

Last edited:

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
One thing thats bugged me for ages is that when an email comes in, if you read it on the mac, it does not get marked as read on the iPhone/ipad or vice versa. Seems to have no similar problems with iMessages, just email.

So, is this finally fixed in iOS 8? or do we still have to open the mail app to clear down the unread badge.

I think that may depend on how your email is set up. If you're using POP3 (does anyone actually use that anymore?) then it doesn't have any way of syncing read messages. If you're using IMAP or ActiveSync or most of the other protocols then it should sync automatically. I've had no problems with this on iOS 7 and my multiple devices. Also, make sure that you have your email set to push (or pull at regular intervals)... if it's not updating your email in the background then it won't know that anything's been read until you manually update it.

That said, though, something is definitely broken in iOS 8 beta 1 as it does not seem to clear the badge or lock screen notifications when you read email on another device now. But like I said, I believe that's a beta issue as it has always worked properly for me with previous versions of the OS.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
I can't seem to turn off the predictive text suggestions above the keyboard... It let me close it once by swiping down but not anymore.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
I think that may depend on how your email is set up. If you're using POP3 (does anyone actually use that anymore?) then it doesn't have any way of syncing read messages. If you're using IMAP or ActiveSync or most of the other protocols then it should sync automatically. I've had no problems with this on iOS 7 and my multiple devices. Also, make sure that you have your email set to push (or pull at regular intervals)... if it's not updating your email in the background then it won't know that anything's been read until you manually update it.

That said, though, something is definitely broken in iOS 8 beta 1 as it does not seem to clear the badge or lock screen notifications when you read email on another device now. But like I said, I believe that's a beta issue as it has always worked properly for me with previous versions of the OS.

Funny you should say that, as it was always my understanding that this is by design. I am talking about apple email and it is push email.
I am surprised it works for you as it is generally accepted that this is a 'feature' and there is even an apple support page on the subject explaining that the read flag will not be cleared on other devices and it is not an error.
I wonder how its managed to work for you before? Not too optimistic that iOS8 finally sorts this though. I was hoping it would with the new emphasis on cross device compatibility now - especially as you can compose an email across devices is it too much for it to know you have read one too?

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
I’m using the Fleksy keyboard with a lot of apps in 7.1.1 and it doesn’t recognize my keyboard shortcuts. Anyone notice if it does in iOS 8?

How are you using fleksy keyboard? Or are you talking about the app?

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
Funny you should say that, as it was always my understanding that this is by design. I am talking about apple email and it is push email.
I am surprised it works for you as it is generally accepted that this is a 'feature' and there is even an apple support page on the subject explaining that the read flag will not be cleared on other devices and it is not an error.
I wonder how its managed to work for you before? Not too optimistic that iOS8 finally sorts this though. I was hoping it would with the new emphasis on cross device compatibility now - especially as you can compose an email across devices is it too much for it to know you have read one too?

I use Gmail and ActiveSync. I don't use apple email at all, so maybe it doesn't work with Apple email, but it would really shock me if that was the case. Like you say, it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to implement.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
How are you using fleksy keyboard? Or are you talking about the app?

Yeah, the app along with apps like Write and Dispatch. None of my keyboard shortcuts work with Fleksy. For instance, I can type three g’s and my gmail email account comes up using the iOS keyboard, but it won’t work with Fleksy. It even works with Omniweb, the browser.

larrygornick

macrumors member
May 20, 2014
In regards to the iphone-- is there a way I can turn off the automatic "turn sideways" thing except when viewing pictures?

I hate lying down in bed, trying to text, and my iphone decides to turn sideways. I dont' text sideways EVER. I only use that when viewing pics. Is there a way to make this stop?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.