Assistance Needed - How should I hook up my new MBP to external monitors?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by roebuck1, Oct 28, 2016.

1. roebuck1 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm new to this community. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to go about connecting the new MBPs up to external monitors. I have two Asus monitors that I need to connect to the new thunderbolt ports (i.e., USB-C ports). Ideally, I would like a single thunderbolt chord to go to an adapter where I can plug in the two HDMI chords coming from the monitors. I have seen docking stations with a single HDMI port and single VGA port, but none with multiple HDMI ports. Are there adapters/docking stations that can support extending the display of two monitors? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

Most docking stations will have one free Thunderbolt 3 or plain USB-C port plus either a DisplayPort or HDMI port.

Or you can just do two USB-C to DisplayPort cables from two ports on the Mac, assuming your monitors have DisplayPort.

3. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

If you want to do it with a single cable connected to the MBP, you may need to wait for a Thunderbolt 3 docking hub. Get one with an HDMI port and plug a TB/USB-C to HDMI adapter in to one of its open ports, or use a USB-C to Display Port cable. Unless someone markets a dock with two HDMI on it.

4. roebuck1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, xraydoc. Do you have any recommendations on current docking stations?

5. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

6. roebuck1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again for your help, sir. Very helpful. I may wait for other brands, though...have had issues with Belkin cables in the past so I'm not sure how much I can trust their adapters.

7. Clint_Barton macrumors 6502

8. JTToft macrumors 68040

9. roebuck1 thread starter macrumors newbie

10. Clint_Barton macrumors 6502

You are very welcome