Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
I have said all along that a 200MB data plan would not nearly be enough for the new features of these devices. It would have been plenty back in 2000, but not in 2010.

kdarling

macrumors P6
LOL @ people who think agps = gps.

AGPS _is_ GPS. It gets its position from GPS satellites. In the iPhone's case, it gets its assistance from servers on the internet, which requires a data connection. (But nowhere near 200MB!)

AGPS = GPS + cell towers

No. Those are separate methods.

AGPS = Assisted GPS. In the iPhone's case, that means possibly every four hours or so it might have to go out on the network and get updated satellite information.

(Back when the iPhone 3G came out, Jobs stumbled over his presentation and confused a lot of people into thinking that A-GPS meant using cell towers or WiFi or some kind of hybrid system. That is incorrect. Apple's own website had similar confusing information for a short time before getting fixed. By then the damage was done.)

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
You can retroactively change to the 2 gig plan before your current billing cycle ends.

Seems like a perfect solution for these rare situations like this.

So it is really more of an opposite of a horror story.

Most months you only pay $15 for data, but one month you go on a big trip and use more date, you throw in an extra $10 and are totally covered.

Sounds like you should rename this "AT&T's NEW PLANS ARE AWESOME!"

FortMOney

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
Good thing you checked before you went over. Then you'd have a horror story.

I considered giving up the unlimited, since I've never gone over 120 MB in a billing cycle. But, I don't know how much more data I might use with the new phone, especially if the network speed is bumped up. As it is, I'm almost always near a wifi hotspot, so my 3G usage is pretty low. Saving $15 a month isn't worth the risk to me.

The way the AT&T rep described it to me, if you go over the 200mb you get charged another $15. Wouldn't it make more since to save $15 most months and then pay $30 (what you're paying now) only on the rare occasion when you go over?

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
The way the AT&T rep described it to me, if you go over the 200mb you get charged another $15. Wouldn't it make more since to save $15 most months and then pay $30 (what you're paying now) only on the rare occasion when you go over?

That is not even the case though. If you just did nothing you would get 400 megs for $30.

Just go online, change your plan to the $25 2 gig plan before your current billing cycle ends, and you would only pay $25 and have up to a total of 2 gigs to use during that period of time.

Just letting it double to pay 30 dollars doesn't make sense unless you are really lazy and can't be bothered to log on to AT&T one time in 2 -3 week period of time.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
That is not even the case though. If you just did nothing you would get 400 megs for $30.

Just go online, change your plan to the $25 2 gig plan before your current billing cycle ends, and you would only pay $25 and have up to a total of 2 gigs to use during that period of time.

Just letting it double to pay 30 dollars doesn't make sense unless you are really lazy and can't be bothered to log on to AT&T one time in 2 -3 week period of time.

It makes sense if you only occasionally go over 200MB....but not if you consistently do it.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
How many people really use over 2gb per month? I went on vacation with the 3GS and didn't go over 500mb used for the whole month. My regular usage is around 200mb. I'll put the $5 back in my pocket per month. Plus if Verizon is really getting the iPhone there will be more competition with pricing.

People need to use more wifi and manage there data usage better....

Why exactly would I HAVE to manage my own data usage "better"? I was smart enough to keep my grandfathered unlimited plan, and at 5 bucks a month, it's peace of mind, especially with the advent of even more data-intensive tasks.

jtp098

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Purchase
So I went to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter last weekend and took over 200 pictures/videos which all look amazing with the new camera on the 4, but not realizing that the camera was using Location Services to tag a "Place" to every single one of my photos and when I check my billing cycle 3 whole days in I'm already at 85MB of my 200MB allotted per month. The last 6 months I checked on the AT&T site I only went over 200MB of data usage once in a whole 30 day billing cycle.

Sucks.

I'm curious to know whether is was indeed these photos that racked up my data usage or if it was some app running in the background with multitasking that was using my data. I don't use Pandora or anything like that. So I'm pretty certain it was the Camera app.

WARNING!

Check your settings and turn off Location Services on Camera before you go cam crazy!

thats crazy.. How was it!!! Can you put up some pics of the park! I know a little off topic but i have been a fan since the first book!!!

Brannon

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2009
I have had my iPhone 4 since the 25th and used over 3 gigs........ I kept my unlimited obviously..... And yes that is just for this phone not the the current billing cycle!

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Plus if Verizon is really getting the iPhone there will be more competition with pricing.

I fell out of my chair LAUGHING at this statement.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/06/verizon-signals-the-end-of-the-unlimited-data-plan/

The idea of "competition" between Verizon and AT&T is a complete myth. Both companies watch each other closely and as soon as one company makes a move regarding a price increase or a restriction on a certain feature, the other follows suit. A couple years ago Verizon redefined "unlimited" laptop data to mean 5GB per month max. Shortly thereafter, AT&T and Sprint did the same thing. Prices didn't go down, yet we all got less for it. Now the plans are changing for smartphones in a similar fashion.

Unfortunately there is not enough competition. Instead you have two industry superpowers, carving up smaller regional carriers amongst each other for their mutual benefit, and matching each other's pricing moves tit for tat, but in ways unfavorable to customers. And unfortunately, Sprint screwed themselves over with the Nextel merger and alienated so many of their customers that they're no longer relevant and have no influence now.

Meanwhile T-Mobile prefers to only invest the bare minimum in their network so that they have a cheap roaming option in major cities for their European clients, and if they can attract a few bargain hunters in the US who don't mind horrible coverage outside of metro areas, so much the better.

If ever Verizon gets the iPhone - and I still doubt it will happen anytime soon - none of this will change. The best we can hope for is they'll match the current pricing structure at AT&T, if not raise the prices to avoid anyone overtaxing their precious network and giving them the same issues AT&T has had. And you can bet if Verizon makes owning an iPhone more expensive, AT&T's management will feel dumb about that and raise their rates or restrict their features further, too.

The sad thing is, it's no better in other countries, some of which have never had unlimited data for iPhones.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
my pricing with FAN discount is $15 for 200MB and $20 for 2GB. i use around 1.3 GB and my wife usually less than 200MB. i switched us to the 2GB plans even though she never uses anything close to that since it's only $5.

Xkwizito

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
My wife used over 200MB within the first 5 days of her plan and went over. Mainly because she watches Youtube. I told her to cut back on it though.

I upgraded her to the 2GB plan, but I still don't feel safe :(

TeamDNA

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2009
2gb is plenty for a person that should be using wifi.
hey why dont you quit telling us what to do and what to use on our iphones..they are infact OUR iphones. If I am paying unlimited i will USE unlimited as advertised .. I dont have wifi so i am always using my iphone.. **** if you wanna pay 35$/month for me to get internet service plus pay for my router I will use wifi.. untill then shut up and stop telling people how to use their iphones

OlgaJ

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
Florida
In a year and a half with my 3G, my highest month was 180MB, which included some 4 day road trips within one month during which I play with the iphone a lot. (I don't do the driving.)

Since the 20th (when my new month started), I've used 141MB, without leaving the house where I use my wifi exclusively but where I had one overnight internet outage.

The iP4 makes accessing web sites faster than with the 3G, so you can squeeze a lot more visits in the same time, can check weather and radar on the road a lot more often, and tempts you with emailing more photos. I can use Skype without delay, eBuddy to IM, and other utilities, with a lot more ease than before.

So until I really know what my normal data usage will be with the iP4, there is no way I'm giving up my unlimited plan. Not to mention the very strange middle of night data usage that has been popping up lately. Still trying to pin that one down but without success. Could it be some delayed recording of earlier data use?

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
The photos will be larger and since the GPS pinpoints where they were taken you will therefore use more data, time to either refrain or pony up an additional $10 for the 2 GB Data package.

I only use 200-400 MB, but chose to keep my $30 data plan because it is unlimited even though I can save $5 by going to the 2GB plan, just doesn't make sense especially if I decide to tether at any point during my contract.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.