Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hbenitez09

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
Actually Att has been doing this for a little over a year, but has been more common as of yet. Also it's not only to iPhone users but smart phone users period. They will add it on there own if you don't take action. When you signed your two year contract it stats that any phone you put your sim card in your to obide to that phones terms and conditions therefore by putting your sim in an iPhone you accepted the terms of a mandatory data plan. They do take awhile to find out but once they do they will surely apply it. Also no Att doesn't care that it's jailbroken unless your using their services in a matter in which they don't approve like using the my wi app. Give the reps at Att better credit a lot of them are very good with tech and know their products. It's the old Cingular employees that don't know any better

i dunno how true this is or not....its a rumor, but...

after sept 14, they going to start charging for the plan without your consent..

again, i dunno if its true or not....

bluesxtreme

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
Gave my old 3g to a cousin telling her she could just use it with WIFI and without a data plan. 3 days later AT&T automatically added the data plan for her... sigh. Luckily she was able to cancel the data plan but she's afraid to put the SIM back in cause they will automatically charge it again.

CashDude

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Contact your congressmen and the FCC about this. It's about as ridiculous as forcing a certain cable plan based on what TV you own.

tjwaggoner

macrumors regular
May 8, 2010
You can leave the sim out and still use it people

Insert sim, activate phone through itunes, remove sim, use as ipod touch. I keep hearing all these people saying "i was just using it on wi-fi as and ipod touch". Well no you werent, you were using it on ATT's network. I mean for pete's sake the OP here posted a screen shot showing his phone using the edge network and still claimed he used it on wi-fi only. You cant have an att sim card in an iphone in the USA without an iphone data plan associated with that sim card. Period. If you want to use it as an ipod touch, nobody is stopping you, take the sim out and disconnect the phone from att's network and they will not bother you, promise

hxh103

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008
Insert sim, activate phone through itunes, remove sim, use as ipod touch. I keep hearing all these people saying "i was just using it on wi-fi as and ipod touch". Well no you werent, you were using it on ATT's network. I mean for pete's sake the OP here posted a screen shot showing his phone using the edge network and still claimed he used it on wi-fi only. You cant have an att sim card in an iphone in the USA without an iphone data plan associated with that sim card. Period. If you want to use it as an ipod touch, nobody is stopping you, take the sim out and disconnect the phone from att's network and they will not bother you, promise

I'm not disputing your point here as it is part of their TOC , but I don't see why I can't use their cellular network when I'm not even using their data network... just because it is an iphone (or any smart phone for that matter.) I have a 2 year contract with them to do so, I should be able to use any GSM enabled phone I want.

lol, the CSR even tried to explain to me that smarphones have to have data plans to lower the costs since there are so many iphones right now straining the network....WTF? what does that have to do with me when I'm not even using data....

Looks like I'll be switching to TMobile as soon as I can unlock the iphone ios 4. I don't even care about 2G or 3G since I never use it.

rickolis

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2008
Seattle, WA
Can't you just turn the following settings to off?

Settings -> General -> Network -> Enable 3G and Cellular Data (to off)

Wont this solve your problems and allow you to use an iphone for only voice? Then AT&T wouldn't make you add a data plan if your phone isn't trying to send/receive data on their network.

self

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008

Wont this solve your problems and allow you to use an iphone for only voice? Then AT&T wouldn't make you add a data plan if your phone isn't trying to send/receive data on their network.

No, they can see you're using an iphone even if you're not using their data network. They are definitely scanning more frequently now. I would file a complaint online with the FCC but it probably won't do any good unless lots of people do it.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
No, they can see you're using an iphone even if you're not using their data network. They are definitely scanning more frequently now. I would file a complaint online with the FCC but it probably won't do any good unless lots of people do it.

the reason it wont do any good is because all carriers do it now. I tried to upgrade to a blackberry before on tmobile before I switched over to AT&T since I was going to pay the etf either way I figured that I would get the blackberry nearly free and then sell it to cover some of the costs. Not only did they require a data plan for the blackberry but they told me that if I didn't keep the data on for the length of the contract I would be charged a separate etf for the data line as well. It was probably BS and if I had pressed the issue I could have gotten what I wanted, but it wasn't worth the hassle.

Bottom line is this late in the game it is going to be extremely hard to get wireless companies to change.

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
We spoonfed wireless companies this ability. If you go to asia, most phones are purchased like we purchase computers. You buy the computer and internet service separately. No subsidy.

How would you feel if you bought your laptop for full price (say a MBP) and you contact Comcast for basic internet. A few days later, they want to upgrade your internet because your computer has a hi-def screen and a webcam (but you don't want to use the upgrade internet).

Thats the situation here.

hxh103

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008

Yes, this was exactly what I did as well as had ATT to block all data on my plan when I first got it. The only thing I get is voice and texting. They can see your IMEI and know that you have an iphone and charge you the data plan.

Also, I found out that you can't unlock an iphone through ATT even if your contract is up. This is BS...how can they do this? It seems like this is against some law, if not then it should be. Basically, you can't even use it overseas with the way ATT and Apple are running it.

Pretty much the only hope is to jailbreak and unlock...

richg916

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
Just ignore it if you dont want a data plan.
Thats what everyone else is doing.
They will not force a service onto you that you dont want.

REALLY...??

They put my son on a data plan after about 8 months without one. I had it set up as another phone with another IMEI had the DATA BLOCKED and received the text. After they sent the text, my next bill had the new data plan on it.

GOOD LUCK, they aren't messing around with the data plans anymore, they are just adding them.

my5sons

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2011
REALLY...??

They put my son on a data plan after about 8 months without one. I had it set up as another phone with another IMEI had the DATA BLOCKED and received the text. After they sent the text, my next bill had the new data plan on it.

GOOD LUCK, they aren't messing around with the data plans anymore, they are just adding them.

I have 5 phones on 1 account 2 are iphones which we are grandfathered with unlimited data. I went ahead and jailbroke another iphone for another son and he's been using it for a year, no data, only wifi. Well today, I went into the AT&T store to see if I could get something done with the high bills I've been receiving. Wanted to block data, lower the plan etc. and the clerk told me that in August of 2010, a 2GB plan had been automatically added to my account for the jailbroken iphone. She didn't say jailbreak or anything, just said it looks like your 0267 line is using an iphone.. I of course played dumb and said no, my son may have put his sim into a friend's iphone but he has an LG Vu. I was livid, because I asked her how much data had been used (she said zero), so I said why should I be paying for that? Why not $15? wtf?

lol, now she knows I was lying. She told me that I had to bring in the phone for her to remove the data plan. $25 since August? WOW!

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
ATT won't allow the use of any smartphone on their network without a data plan. They reserve the right to add one if they notice you are using a smartphone and don't have a data plan. As long as you are under contract with them, you just have to live with these rules. Try to get out of having a data plan if you want, and it might work. But if it doesn't, they will add the plan. They won't charge you any extra for using a jailbroken phone, but they will add the plan.

Not sure if it works this way once your contract is up or not

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I have 5 phones on 1 account 2 are iphones which we are grandfathered with unlimited data. I went ahead and jailbroke another iphone for another son and he's been using it for a year, no data, only wifi. Well today, I went into the AT&T store to see if I could get something done with the high bills I've been receiving. Wanted to block data, lower the plan etc. and the clerk told me that in August of 2010, a 2GB plan had been automatically added to my account for the jailbroken iphone. She didn't say jailbreak or anything, just said it looks like your 0267 line is using an iphone.. I of course played dumb and said no, my son may have put his sim into a friend's iphone but he has an LG Vu. I was livid, because I asked her how much data had been used (she said zero), so I said why should I be paying for that? Why not $15? wtf?

lol, now she knows I was lying. She told me that I had to bring in the phone for her to remove the data plan. $25 since August? WOW!

That was not because your iPhone was jailbroken. Please, this thread has proven that AT&T doesn't care if your iPhone is jailbroken or not.

What AT&T will do is add a data plan on the iPhone. They have within their ToA, that an iPhone or any other smartphone must have a data plan. If it doesn't, one will be added to your line.

So if you had some data block on the iPhone, it's long gone.

Aatos.1

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2010
When you subscribe to any cellular carrier you are entering into a legal, binding contract. It is your responsibilty to read & understand what is involved

If you have any brand of smartphone & that carriers policy is that all smartphone users must pay for a data plan, then they will charge you.

It has nothing to do with jailbreaking or unlocking. It only has to do with using a smartphone on their voice network.

If you are currently cheating, you will be caught in time & you will be charged. If you don't pay it's a hit on your credit like any other bill you fail to pay. Let it go long enough and they will terminate your service.

When you go to another carrier the non payment will show on your credit check & they will probably refuse to take your business. You cannot outsmart these companies. Don't kid yourself.

Block

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
If you use a GoPhone SIM inside your iPhone, AT&T cannot and will not add a data plan to your service.

cmcgarry7

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2011
Iphone 3gs no data plan? help

I need allof youre help, its now 2011, so AT&t has raised their bar in finding out whos using an iphone who doesnt have a data plan.

My problem- I have AT&T, NO data plan (as i dont plan on having one) but i recently got my hands on an iphone 3gs for only 85$!! I couldnt pass this up, but what i need to know is HOW can i effectively use my SIM card in the Iphone without getting charged by AT&T with a huge unnecessary data package.

IM WILLING:

-to jailbreak it
- change the APN code using http://unlockit.co.nz
- download Boss Prefs (via cydia)
- change sbsettings

I AM NOT WILLING:

-go pay as you go
-buy a data package.. obviously..

And i know it is possible- so for all of you who say "just buy the data", or "theres no way AT&T will find you" i know someone can beat the system.:apple:

Leet Apple

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2009
Canada
I need allof youre help, its now 2011, so AT&t has raised their bar in finding out whos using an iphone who doesnt have a data plan.

My problem- I have AT&T, NO data plan (as i dont plan on having one) but i recently got my hands on an iphone 3gs for only 85$!! I couldnt pass this up, but what i need to know is HOW can i effectively use my SIM card in the Iphone without getting charged by AT&T with a huge unnecessary data package.

IM WILLING:

-to jailbreak it
- change the APN code using http://unlockit.co.nz
- download Boss Prefs (via cydia)
- change sbsettings

I AM NOT WILLING:

-go pay as you go
-buy a data package.. obviously..

And i know it is possible- so for all of you who say "just buy the data", or "theres no way AT&T will find you" i know someone can beat the system.:apple:

Keep switching your SIm from a Data free phone to your iPhone every week for a time period enough where AT&T believes your using a Cheap phone and not a smartphone

cmcgarry7

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2011
Keep switching your SIm from a Data free phone to your iPhone every week for a time period enough where AT&T believes your using a Cheap phone and not a smartphone

I have an LV Vu Plus, so i can do that but how often would i have to do this and how long should i switch them out for..?

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
what is the point of having wifi feature on an iphone when at&t requires every iphone owner to be on a data plan??

hmmm because if you are out of wifi area you can't use Data. most providers require it for smart phones. and if you only use wifi get a touch! ;) you can use Skipe to make calls or google voice.

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
By the way - still no promise AT&T won't detect your sim while in the iPhone and charge you anyway.

The PAYGo option is the only fullproof way.

Although, I've heard if you buy an unlocked out-of-country iPhone the IMEI isn't registered with AT&T and thus they don't know it's an iPhone.

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
hmmm because if you are out of wifi area you can't use Data. most providers require it for smart phones. and if you only use wifi get a touch! ;) you can use Skipe to make calls or google voice.

Not just that, the wifi is there so when it's available you can avoid using data/have a faster connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.