Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Why would they be able to charge extra for this beyond the one time activation cost? It’s not a service.

I was replying to what you said about charging for the Sim and activation. It's clearly not uniform across company segments at this time and this is what they want to clarify. They want to make sure all reps know to charge for the sim and probably activating the new line. If AT&T can do it, they will.

Most stores that have given these out have given them for free. Others have charged $5 for the SIM and $30 activation fee. One time fee if at all.

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
I was replying to what you said about charging for the Sim and activation. It's clearly not uniform across company segments at this time and ths is what they want to clarify. They want to make sure all reps know to charge for the sim and probably activating the new line. If AT&T can do it, they will.

True, but on the other hand, very very few customers care about dual sim. The revenue they might miss out on is chump change compared with the value of the opportunity they had to present themselves as the only carrier with their act in order rolling out Apple's latest features.

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Was able to get it done. Went to an authorized reseller.

At first he said they can’t sell them till next Monday. Then he realized it was this past Monday and he was able to get it done in 5 mins. Cost $5.

[doublepost=1541023959][/doublepost]
814FAA4C-D225-41C5-81E2-590B3F12B269.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: jacklivehere

Buddhake

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2016
True, but on the other hand, very very few customers care about dual sim.

In the US, very few people care about dual sim, but in the rest of the world, this is a HUGE and sought after feature. And as someone who travels a lot, I am extremely excited to have this. In fact, now seeing how flexible and easy the eSim is to provision and move, I want a phone with 2 eSims!!

Reactions: jona2125

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
In the US, very few people care about dual sim, but in the rest of the world, this is a HUGE and sought after feature. And as someone who travels a lot, I am extremely excited to have this. In fact, now seeing how flexible and easy the eSim is to provision and move, I want a phone with 2 eSims!!

You can add additional plans to the eSim already. It can hold more than one.

I travel a lot too. That's what my TMO line is for. Global unlimited flat-rate plan with LTE and no roaming charges. Ever since TMO started offering this type of plan, I have stopped needing to buy country specific SIM cards.

Buddhake

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2016
But you can only use one eSim line at a time, I believe. If you want 2 active, one must be physical

Scott G.

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2016
Amsterdam, NY
I was replying to what you said about charging for the Sim and activation. It's clearly not uniform across company segments at this time and this is what they want to clarify. They want to make sure all reps know to charge for the sim and probably activating the new line. If AT&T can do it, they will.
You need a new line if you just wanna switch your sim to an esim?

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
It's not activating a new line of you have service. Not sure what you are referring to. Getting another sim they may charge you. We will see

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Can anyone please give some feedback about battery usage? Does it get significantly worse?

Doesn't seem any different.

I mean there is still only one modem and antennae set, so that's expected.

I have used dual SIM phones for ages (currently my other phone is Huawei Mate RS) and those never had problems running two SIM cards.

The only phones that I owned that seemed to have slightly worse battery were dual active phones (two modems, radios, antennae, etc.), but the iPhone XS/XR is not a dual active.

Buddhake

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2016
Same - had no difference in my battery today with both lines on board. And today was a big-use day. It's all good.

goudok

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2012
called about 10 stores 8 of them were clueless 2 however knew exactly what to do and how to do it and they are doing it even though they are not supposed to, as per corporate, but systems are allowing it.
So you just need to find the store who will do it.

goudok

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2012
So, I chatted with someone again this morning and they moved my physical to esim, they asked for my esim imei. they for sure did something because i no longer have service on the physical sim.
However, when i asked for either QR code to be sent or the SM address activation code, they had no clue what i was talking about.
The guy suggested i go to a store to buy an esim and then scan the code and it will work. Don't they still need link something or will actually scanning a qr code work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.