AT&T has 48 hours to answer iPhone pricing complaints

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jjk454ss, Jun 11, 2009.

1. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

2. jpk32092 macrumors 6502

no.

3. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

I do not think they will change their position on the issue, and they have no reason to. Although, I honestly think if they did, they would gain more customers as a result of showing that they actually care about their customers' concerns.

4. nfl46 macrumors 603

Just 9,000 people signed it? NOT enough, lol.

5. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

So far

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And who's giving them the 48 hour deadline? :rolleyes:

I think some of you need to read up on what a contract is.

7. nfl46 macrumors 603

Seriously!

8. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

As much as I think rate plans are highway robbery, I gotta say that AT&T is completely right in this case. They paid for most of your phone's cost, and you haven't met your half of the deal yet.

AT&T should have made this clear to everyone buying a subsidized iPhone last year to avoid this. But hindsight is 20/20.

People need to look up the words "subsidized" and "contract" next time before they sign on the dotted line.

9. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

However, most of their customers' concerns on this issue are out of line. Jeez - they bought a subsidized 3G knowing they had 2-year contracts so AT&T could recup the subsidy and make a little $. Being able to upgrade earlier than that is a bonus, not a God-given right.

10. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Yeah, I agree. You sign the contract to get the lower price, and if they want to charge more that is fine with me. That is why I pre-ordered one at that price already. But.... I am not going to complain if they decide to save me a couple hundred bucks.

11. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

Like I said, AT&T has no reason to comply, but it would give them good PR and the possibility of more customers.

12. joro macrumors 68020

joro

I would love to save $200 as much as the next person but we all signed a contract with AT&T and quite frankly they don't owe me or anyone jack. If you don't want to pay the early upgrade price, DON'T BUY THE PHONE. It's simple as that.

13. dagomike macrumors 65816

buh, buh, but last time!!!11!

:)

If they change the policy Apple will sell more phones and AT&T will be out more money. I don't think people unaffected (not owning a 3G) will really care so they're not going to get any new business. And worst, it will set a precedent of getting screwed every iPhone launch.

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

It's bad enough that ATT has what? Almost a half billion dollars tied up in iPhone 3G subsidy loans? Earnings diluted badly for a year and a half. Having to spend billions updating their network to accommodate the iPhone users.

And now a bunch of them want more loans for nothing?

With customers like that, Verizon must be happy they turned Apple down!

15. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Why the hell should they do any more? This is obvious to any non-doody head who buys a cell phone on contract. This is also explained on a piece of paper and/or by a person who sells you the device. THIS IS PRETTY MUCH HOW THE US CELL PHONE INDUSTRY HAS WORKED FOR MORE THAN A DECADE. What is up with this pocket of iPhone users that is the stupidest set of atoms to ever set foot on the planet? I have never heard of masses of BlackBerry users confused about why they can't get a new model every time it comes out.

16. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

Perhaps my perception is way off because I frequent a Mac Forum where people like to come to complain, but why does it seem like SOME iPhone owners (and perhaps Mac users in general) feel they are owed something special?

This is how it has worked for phone subsidies as long as I can remember. Perhaps its Apple's fault because they create such a desire to have the latest and greatest that people can't help but not have it.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

All phone companies require contracts. They all subsidize phones. While AT&T is an evil company they are in the right in this instance. You are not forced to buy the new iPhone but if you do be prepared to pay the full price.

18. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Holy **** I agree. I can't believe the non sense that is taking place regarding price.

I was on Verizon a few years back and it was THE SAME EXACT WAY.

You sign a contract, and get a phone. 2 years later, you get a great deal on a new phone, and sign a new contract. If you want a new phone a year later, you get a slight break on the price, but not as good as if you waited one more year like you said you would on your contract.

You want a new phone sooner than one year? Pay the full price.

Hell I haven't even BEEN on AT&T and I am still getting a slight break on the price of the new Iphone, instead of paying retail 699.99, I pay 499.00. It was not like that on Verizon.

19. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Because people are generally butt nuggets, unable to take responsibility for their own actions.

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And the funny thing is, everyone's complaining about how they wish the Verizon announcements were true because of the subsidy thing....Verizon would do the same exact thing. So would Sprint, T-Mobile or any other carrier. A contract is a contract, no carrier is going to void it just to please a few whiners.

21. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

With all the publicity, and the fact that people were able to upgrade to the latest version without consequence last year, I think people just assumed this would be the case next year and forever.

When you drool over the keynote and then see the early upgrade price, I can certainly see how it's hard to not feel disappointed, but it should not be hard to understand*.

*Internet expectations may differ from reality. Your satisfaction is not guaranteed.

22. prospereagle92 macrumors regular

No one actually signed a dotted line but nice try anyways

23. thetexan macrumors 6502a

Why is everyone blaming AT&T? Apple sets the price AT&T pays which in turns sets the price you pay in the end after all.

24. Jman14 macrumors 6502

What I dont understand is they are already getting $200 off of the full price, but I guess you try and help people out by saving them $200 they just want more... Funny thing is every phone is the same way if you have a upgrade you get it much cheaper if not you have to pay full price.. Atleast on the iPhone they are letting you do a Early Upgrade and saving you $200.. Why should the iPhone be different than any other phone.. It shouldnt but atleast they are helping a little bit.. Quit your whining and pay or dont buy one simple as that.. If you really wanted or needed onethen you would learn to deal with the price or just wait..

25. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Figure of speech.