AT&T in US, Rogers and Fido in Canada, and Many Other Carriers Rolling Out eSIM Support on Latest iPhones

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 5, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Coinciding with today's release of iOS 12.1.1, additional carriers around the world are enabling eSIM support on the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR, allowing for dual-SIM functionality on those devices.

[​IMG]

According to Apple's website, the latest carriers supporting the eSIM feature include AT&T in the United States; Rogers and Fido in Canada; 3 in Denmark and Sweden; Orange in Poland and Spain; Telia in Estonia and Finland; Telenor in Norway; Swisscom and Sunrise in Switzerland; Vodafone in Qatar; and select others.

In Asia, the eSIM feature can now be used with 1010, CSL, China Mobile, and SmarTone in Hong Kong; M1 in Singapore; APT in Taiwan; Airtel and Reliance Jio in India; and AIS, dtac, and True Move in Thailand.

AT&T's website confirms that it supports eSIM on the latest iPhones as of iOS 12.1.1, while Apple's website continues to state that Verizon and T-Mobile will offer eSIM service "later this year." We've heard from a few people that Verizon may enable support on Friday, but this is strictly word of mouth.

It seems that the rollout of eSIM functionality on iPhones is hit or miss at this point, as a MacRumors tipster claims to have set up eSIM with T-Mobile on the new 12.9-inch iPad Pro, while others have had no luck. The ball is definitely rolling, though, so hopefully eSIM support is more widespread by year's end.

The eSIM, or digital SIM, is a non-physical SIM card slot that pairs with the physical SIM card in the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, or iPhone XR to enable dual-SIM dual-standby, a feature that lets iPhone users have two phone numbers available at once -- useful for travel or both personal and work lines on a single iPhone.

Article Link: AT&T in US, Rogers and Fido in Canada, and Many Other Carriers Rolling Out eSIM Support on Latest iPhones

2. harrisondavies macrumors 6502

harrisondavies

3. bpeeps macrumors 68030

bpeeps

People always give ATT crap for their service and other issues, but they're always one of the first carriers to support iphone changes and new technologies.

4. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

How does this work? I set my Fido sim to be esim and then when I travel I buy a cheap data sim and shove it in? That way I never lose my Fido sim?

5. street.cory macrumors 6502

street.cory

You get an SM-DP+ Address, an activation code, a confirmation code and you go on your merry way. It's called eSIM so there's no physical sim card needed.

6. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

Three in the U.K. not supporting.

I have a Three personal SIM and Vodafone SIM for my company mobile.

Neither of which support eSIM.

Actually, support in the U.K. is pretty awful.

- D

7. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I can share my secret now. I was able to activate the eSIM one day before the cutoff early in the beta. It was never taken away. That said, its not exciting as just a single line user. The phone works the same as before only now my physical slot is empty. If you're wondering how it works, it works just fine.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 5, 2018 ---
    Yes. The only catch is phone locking if you have that. If your phone is unlocked you can do exactly as you suggested which is what makes this nice.

8. Unity451 macrumors member

Unity451

Just don't ever have any issues. They don't know what real Customer Service looks like now a days. Their policies are so iron-clad that they won't budge even if it was their employee that made an error. I just recently switched to T-Mobile. Night and day difference.

9. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

You guys can use Apple Pay though. I still have to swipe my card many places. We're still not doing well deploying chip readers much less ApplePay. Some places really have it nailed but others, not even close.

10. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

Hmmmm. Anybody know of a good data company. I’m with AT&T and just need hotspot availability. I don’t have it on my plan and just isn’t worth it cost wise.
    I want something that either has roll over data. Only need maybe 1gig a month. Thinking about having the hotspot as my second line.

11. grimmwit macrumors newbie

I have two phones today - one from my employer (which they own and pay for), and my own. Any word whether this dual SIM support will work with two different payers? Same carrier (Verizon). It would seem like any issue would be a biller / provisioning issue rather than a problem on the device itself.

Thoughts?

12. acgmph macrumors member

acgmph

I don’t think it works with two CDMA providers - in your case Verizon x2. It would not be an issue if your personal or work would be either AT&T or TMo.

13. Wags macrumors 6502a

Hopefully they don’t permanently lock eSIMs like they did on some iPads that were contract free.

14. E3BK macrumors 68030

E3BK

At least EE has been up and running with actual supported activations.

15. Nerdface Killah macrumors member

I’m almost certain you can do two Verizon lines. One using the regular sim and the second using the esim. That would be severely limiting if it required you to go with two different carriers.

16. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

True!

17. kycophpd macrumors 6502a

kycophpd

Then Apple’s own support page is wrong.

You can’t do two CDMA. That’s why Verizon did an app to handle it instead.

18. rroach3753 macrumors member

You can't use CDMA for both lines.

"To use two different carriers, your iPhone must be unlocked. Otherwise, both plans must be from the same carrier. If a CDMA carrier provides your first SIM, your second SIM won't support CDMA. Contact your carrier for more information."
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209044

19. Jovianremix macrumors newbie

Has anyone found a work around for this .....You are on a call with Line 1 and someone calls Line 2 but the phone will not notify you of the call or show a missed call. If the person doesn't leave a voice message then you will never know they called.

20. macmurray macrumors regular

I just got off the phone with Rogers and they say support is coming early 2019. Had some technical issues with roll out and have now pushed it back. This article had me excited, but sounds like I need to put up with carrying two phones for just a little while longer.

My work phone is Rogers and my personal phone is Telus, so ideally I’d set up my Telus line as the esim and use the physical sim for my work phone. But since Telus is the only major carrier hold out on this, I was going to set it up the other way around, for now at least. But with Rogers delaying their support, maybe Telus will get it together in the meantime.

21. Smileyboy macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

22. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Another forum member did earlier today and was given the proverbial "it is coming at the end of the year" rhetoric. Don't know how accurate that is.

I already have Verizon as my primary. I am waiting on T-Mobile for my eSIM.

23. ken11705 macrumors newbie

Just got off the phone with AT&T tech support. The person I talked to claims that whatever they did in 12.1.1 didn't fix their issue and eSim won't be enabled until the next update. I made the guy check twice that is was in fact 12.1.1 that did not work. The link on this story to the AT&T site - "AT&T's website confirms that it supports eSIM on the latest iPhones as of iOS 12.1.1" now directs you to a page that doesn't exist. I guess someone at AT&T didn't do their job correctly. Let me know if someone else gets a different result talking to AT&T.

24. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

If I recall AT&T dragged their feet in allowing their subscribers to use FaceTime over cellular, when it was made available in iOS 6. You had to be on one of their newer plans, and they blocked it for those on UDPs.

25. Hookem99 macrumors member

I’ve been on the phone with AT&T for almost an hour. The guy is trying, but doesnt know anything. Says he thinks the QR codes have to be shipped out. Thinking ill need to hit up a corporate store.