Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stuey12345

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2013
How will everyone be pre-ordering this year?, thru AT&T, apple website or going to store? Not sure which is the best way to pre-order

BeefSupreme

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Screw the carriers. I'll never order through one of them again. Did that with the iPhone 5 through ATT. While my order was still processing, I walked into an ATT store and bought one two weeks after release.

Ilikechainrestaurants

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
Guys, what do I need to preorder through Apple? I just moved over to my fiancee's plan on AT&T. She's paying on an iPhone but it shows my line is eligible for an upgrade (I brought my own phone). Do I just need account info for our AT&T account, and can I sign up for IUP when I order?

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
I believe you will need:

1. Phone number
2. Social security number of primary account holder
3. Account pin

Make sure you have these handy before starting the pre order so you don't get stuck.

bb1984

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
I'm amazed by how time flies between iphone releases, which have become a real hallmark calendar event in our lives.

Having done pre-orders through ATT and Apple, I think the the main determining factor is the time at which the order is placed. Traditionally, these pre-orders start at midnight PT 3 am ET. The only pre-orders I've ever placed that got me the phone on launch day were diligently placed early and swiftly. Sounds obvious I know but I wouldn't place any online orders if you can't stay up or wake up early enough... Better off getting in line at a major apple retail store.

Ilikechainrestaurants

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
I believe you will need:

1. Phone number
3. Account pin

Make sure you have these handy before starting the pre order so you don't get stuck.

Thank you. I think I had stored away that I would need the SSN and pin at some point, but I forgot about it. Definitely something that would throw a wrench in the process had you not mentioned it.

Reactions: penajmz

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
It seems that the preordering through Apple store is only going to allow the 24 month Next plan, and no option for the 30 month plan. That was when I checked on the app a few days ago. Is that what others have found? I’d prefer to go through the Apple Store, but I like the 30 month installment plan.

Reactions: Peter K.

bzavala

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
I believe you will need:

1. Phone number
3. Account pin

Account pin, would that be the carrier's (in my case ATT) online password?

Reactions: frjpsmacrumors

chris2398

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
Anyone have advice for my situation? I'm the primary line on our family plan with AT&T. My wife's line is eligible for an upgrade while my line isn't eligible. I've read that preordering through the Apple Store app is best. I've gone through most of the upgrade process on Apple Store app to make sure I know how to do it before preorders start. Only my phone is shown under the "my devices" section. My question is, do I need to sign in with my Apple ID on my wife's phone so it will appear in "my devices" on the app or is there an easier way to complete the upgrade on my wife's line seamlessly without encountering problems when I actually try to upgrade?

RMSko

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
I believe you will need:

1. Phone number
3. Account pin

Are you sure about this? I thought in the past all I needed was my AT&T online login info.

Reactions: Skoal

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Are you sure about this? I thought in the past all I needed was my AT&T online login info.

I believe an account pin is an optional, extra security (I think). I have one so I'm not sure if maybe at some point it became mandatory. Easy enough to check with the carrier prior to pre-ordering just to play it safe.

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
Always go through Apple site, ATT is known to be slow.
Hey, if you're "in", you're in. I don't think it matters time wise from that point on. However, I think you're guaranteed to get an unlocked phone with Apple. Paying for the entire phone with ATT should be unlocked as well.

mcorleone

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Florida
Ok, last time I ordered a new phone it was the iPhone 6+ (3 generations ago). That was before they changed all the payment plan options. Now it's a monthly billing of some sort? Does this also apply if you order direct from Apple? That's how I got it the last time but it was $400 plus the regular monthly billing... My question is will we have to pay the regular $699+ up front when we preorder?

Arxcher

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2012
NY, NY
If you purchase from Apple's Upgrade Program and select At&t as the carrier, there is a good chance you will get a phone with Intel's old xmm 7360 chip. If you look at the tech specs of the phones on Apple's website, it gives two different model numbers for both the 8 and 8+. Each of the size models has a note that it will not support the CDMA network. This will not be truly "unlocked;" if you decide to switch to Verizon/Sprint in the future, there may be issues.

jensgt

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2014
Im an apple upgrade person. When you look at the apple page it says "AppleCare + included". Uhhh we still have to pay for it right?

tugger

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
will go through apple but want to use att next. hopefully att has a trade in program that will accept an iPhone 6.

It does, but it may not be as generous as Apple's trade-in program. For my iPhone 6/64 AT&T will give me $110 on a trade while Apple is offering $135. Order from Apple online/by phone and you get a gift card; go to an Apple Store and the trade-in value is immediately applied to the purchase price. Also, AT&T's use of the term "upgrade eligible" on their site is misleading. The AT&T agent I spoke with today said there's absolutely no price break at all.

Im an apple upgrade person. When you look at the apple page it says "AppleCare + included". Uhhh we still have to pay for it right?

Yes. I'm interested in the iPhone 8/64. Price is $699, so 24 interest-free payments of $29.12. On Apple's Upgrade Program it would be something like $35/month, so about $6 more which, I guess, is for AppleCare+?

Last edited:

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Apple Store App. I’m part of the Apple upgrade program so it should be seamless. Also you can start the ordering process now for the 8 so it will be easy to just pull the trigger on launch. I’ll be doing this a few days before the X comes out so I can just wake up at 3am EST and pull the trigger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.