AT&T Remove Unltd Data, any way to reinstate?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ddeadserious, Jun 12, 2011.

1. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Thinking about dropping my unlimited data to save some money since I haven't been using much lately.

If it turned out I had more money, or was using more data, would I be able to get back on an unlimited plan?

Thanks in advance.

2. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

Nope. Once you change it, you can never go back.

3. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Nope, once you remove it's gone. You would have to get extremely lucky to find someone to put it back if it wasn't accidental. I would just keep it, really you would only be saving $5 a month or at most $15.

4. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

I just moved down. I dont even come close to 2GB...

5. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Still have the original iPhone? If so, yes.

http://bflasch.com/how-to-still-get-unlimited-data-on-atandt-on

Uless that's been closed. Wich I think legally they couldn't.

6. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Only reason I would ever even think of changing my unlimited data plan is if I was SURROUNDED by WiFi all the time.

If thats the case then I could maybe see a point in switching to the $15/mo data plan (and saving $180 per year compared to $30/mo unlimited cost) and using Opera/Pulse news reader to sip data while using Navigon to get GPS directions data free.

No way in hell I would ever give up unlimited data though for the measly $5 difference of the 2gb plan...

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

How much data do you currently use?
    To answer your question, once you drop that plan, it simply does not exist and you can never go back to it.

8. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Thanks for the responses. $15 doesn't sound like a lot, but when that's a few meals on a full time school, full time work schedule, it means a bit.

I absolutely agree. I wouldn't switch to the $25/month plan, I'd drop to the $15/month plan. I have wifi at home and work, and really just haven't been using much data outside of these locations. I really feel like I could get by with 200MB if I needed to.

9. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

I'm on a family plan currently with my mother, which gets a certain dollar amount payed by the State of Michigan(she's an employee) each month, and my brother and I pay the remainder(very little) for our iPhone service with unlimited data. In the fall, my mother will be leaving her job with the state, moving to northern MI, and going to Verizon, at which time I will become the primary line on the account. If my brother and I can't afford the full bill, I'm just thinking of how I could cut it down.

We're on day 21 of our billing period and I've used 206MB, but I bought an iPad last week, and I don't even touch my phone when I'm at home now unless it's to call or text(where I would have used it before I bought the iPad), and I've got wifi at home and work.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

206 MB? It sounds like you should be able to fit under the 200 MB cap with a little carefulness:)

11. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Have you checked with AT&T to see if you qualify for any type of discount? Either through school or work.

12. jive turkey macrumors 6502

I am "surrounded by WiFi" and have only gone over 200MB once in the last 7 months, so after careful thought I dropped to the $15 plan last week. I hated giving up unlimited data, given that more and more data use is likely as phones and apps advance, but I have been throwing away money and don't see myself being out of the WiFi Zone anytime soon.

If you make the change you need to be aware that, according to the AT&T website, if you go over the data amount you will automatically add on another $15 per 200MB, which is ridiculous. You would then be paying $30 for only 400MB, and if you have a real heavy month you would be killed with overage charges. Now, I don't know how closely AT&T cuts this stuff, if they give you a little leeway or what. BUT, with retroactive billing, you can always change your data plan up to your bill date and move to the $25 level for the month in order to avoid charges. You just have to keep an eye on things.

13. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

no, they will refuse like crazy, although i have heard some people have successfully done it. about 2 months ago, i was looking at our overall usage and we use less than 200mb/month on each phone bc we are around wifi constantly. I have wifi at my work/house and so does my wife. We have a verizon 4G LTE mifi when we aren't around wifi that we share between us.

I was ALWAYS told in the past that data packages couldn't be discounted with corporate discount it was only the voice portion. So i lowered the data down from unlimited plan to the $15 plan on both phones. I get the bill and it's less than $20 cheaper. So i called up AT&T and then they said i had a discount on the iphone data package through my work and that the discount only applies to $25+ data packages NOT the $15/month data package.

This was the last straw for me so i cancelled our contract and am now trying to figure out what to do next. Currently, just doing prepaid w/no data package. To me the $15/month plan is a complete ripoff and not sure how they charge only $10 more and u get tons more data.

I wouldn't drop down, it's not worth it.

14. pmz macrumors 68000

Every person that drops their unlimited data plan and still has an iPhone is a fool.

Plain and simple.

You'll regret that bad, bad decision at some point.

15. mms13 macrumors 6502

I dropped mine the day they allowed people to do so, and I have yet to regret it so I think you're wrong.

That was in June of last year, and I've yet to go over the 2GB limit, so I've saved $5 a month for 12 months - $60. The way I see it, if I ever go over (which I doubt I ever will), it's $10...and the amount I've already saved will cover that. In the end, I'll still always be saving money.

16. geiman macrumors newbie

At this point why not keep it. I started out using very little, maybe a few hundred megabytes. Over the last year or so I've been using my phone now for Pandora, Netflix, Hulu, etc... when I'm on the go. In a hotel and want to watch some Netflix? No problem, hook my phone up with the AV cable and I'm good to go, all over 3G. Now I'm up in the 30GB region on a heavy month. I will never give my unlimited up; you just never know. There may always be that one month where I want to use my data heavily, and I like having the option to do so.

17. h00ligan macrumors 68030

For all the people crying gloom and doom when dripping the plan. I changed to 200mb and my gf also has that. Neither of us use even that much. I don't need to stream pandora in my car, I have xm. Wifi at home. Wifi at work. I don't need to update apps on 3G.

Just take a look at tue last year of usage. My 3G was around 60mb a month because wifi is everywhere. Plenty of places have wifi all over, most major us cities.

I understand not wanting to move down if that isn't the case for 'you' but many people are throwing money away without even making a 5 min call to check historical usage. We save $30 a month on data plans. With absolutely no impact. That pays the next phone upgrade.

18. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

yah i had the same thinking as you.

but you are still paying $15/month for only 60MB of data. all the plans are a rip.

19. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I understand your reasoning but your closed minded. Plain and simple :rolleyes::eek: Everyone's situation is different.

20. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I agree, I wish they had a lower tier. But in working with their plans. I have plenty of room an save $30 a month.

Tell you what bothers me more. My gf texts like crazy. I'd love to drop all but 200 texts.

21. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Not everyone needs unlimited data. Not everyone goes over 4GB a month... some people are happy using 200 MB or less. Even with the 2GB cap, not many go over it. So yes, its a good and wise decision to save cash. Also, fools and money don't stick together for much longer.

Technically, its closed. AT&T was kinda quick to figure this one out. So, the only way it works is if you can prove you've had the 1st Gen plan for a while on the actual device before jumping ship.

Data plans don't get discounted much. It's the minute plans that get more discounted. Although it never hurts to check

22. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I have a discount through my school and get 15% off my data as well as my voice plan. I think that's standard discount, though I have seen others with greater discounts.

23. Fissure macrumors 6502

I dropped mine last year and I'm saving the $5 a month which is good.

My reservation in doing so thus far is that I see the writing on the wall and so do the major carriers.

Think about it.

iCloud + PC Free + LTE 4G iPhone (someday) = More Data Usage, Much More

We'll all be using much more data in the coming year as it'll be much faster and therefore more Cloud integrated. The combination of that is the reason why carriers are doing away with unlimited data plans. They'd rather do it now when people are not so accustomed to using that much more data than do it when most smartphone users will be using services (iCloud) that rely on fast 4G speeds to be usable or complete (think all data lives in the Cloud). Less outrage.

If you still have an unlimited plan and you think AT&T or any carrier for that matter won't eventually force you to a metered plan then your kidding yourself.

My advice, those of you who are holding onto your unlimited plans but don't come anywhere near your limit save the $5 and go to the metered plan. Every dollar helps. If your using well over your plan etc. and you value that much usage then naturally keep the unlimited plan.

24. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Interesting. My epp gives me 17% of primary service only...

A lot of people don't realize there are two unlimited text plans. They cost the same amount. The latter includes free calling to any cell phone. If everyone you call is on a cell phone, yu can drop the minutes plan to virtually nothing. Is visible on the att site, but they don't advertise it at all. I would think a lot of people could save a fair chunk of change if they are already usin unlimited messging.

Between my gf and I (no home phone) we dint go over 300 mins a month with the unlimited cell phone addon and our bull is $115/ month.

Food for thought.