Carrier AT&T Sucks. Leave them if u can.

Mr.Scarface

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
AT&T will not swap out a defective XS without a $45 restocking fee (been 8 days). They claim all hardware issues have to handle by APPLE, which is ********. I could buy the phone from Best Buy and not have that issue. The problem is the phone was purchased for my daughter who is in a town with no Apple Store (College). To use Apple, I would have to put another $1100 hold on a credit card to have them ship a phone. I could always have her drive to the nearest Apple Store 100 miles away but that would be using more money that the $45 fee. That's BS.

The reason I don't want an $1100 hold on my credit card......is the last time I did something like that, it didn't go well.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
You have a choice with Apple. You can send the phone to them, and when they get it, they send you a replacement. No charge to your card. Or, like you said, they send you a new one, charge your card $1100, and remove the charge when they get the other one.

Reactions: chabig

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
You have a choice with Apple. You can send the phone to them, and when they get it, they send you a replacement. No charge to your card. Or, like you said, they send you a new one, charge your card $1100, and remove the charge when they get the other one.
Agreed.

It’s only a hold—they don’t even actually charge your card.

Mr.Scarface

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009

Wrong. AT&T will charge a restocking fee in-store or thru their online/phone support. I understand why Apple does it. AT&T has a store in the town where she is, it is less than 14 days.....why can't they swap for free? Other retailers do it? This is ATT, with their ****** ass support, trying to make money off things others do for free. It is called CUSTOMER SERVICE. As for switch, cannot switch the 3 other lines without taking a big hit upfront.

My problem is not with Apple. It is with AT&T.

Reactions: MareLuce

Mr.Scarface

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
Your the one being a pain in the ass, go to apple or send it to apple, I’ve never ever done anything other then that, and I have att
No Apple store in the town she is at. A college student without her phone for 3 or 4 days.........not what I want.
[doublepost=1538248832][/doublepost]
$1100 is a lot to some, that means no weekend money to go And get drunk with fat chicks. That’s worth not doing it right there.
Or paying for a VERY EXPENSIVE University......and every penny counts.

Renho

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
No Apple store in the town she is at. A college student without her phone for 3 or 4 days.........not what I want.

That too... I couldn’t afford $1100 gone for a day, some don’t realize that.
[doublepost=1538249127][/doublepost]But it does say you have 14 days to return and there will be a restocking fee. But I figured that was for people that just didn’t want it anymore. Not for defective units.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I'm not sure I fully understand. Are they trying to charge you a restocking fee only in the case of you swapping the phone? Is returning the phone an option?

I left AT&T years ago but from what I remember then, which obviously could've changed. There wasn't a restocking fee when returning Apple devices.

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Sep 9, 2018
AT&T will not swap out a defective XS without a $45 restocking fee (been 8 days). They claim all hardware issues have to handle by APPLE, which is ********. I could buy the phone from Best Buy and not have that issue. The problem is the phone was purchased for my daughter who is in a town with no Apple Store (College). To use Apple, I would have to put another $1100 hold on a credit card to have them ship a phone. I could always have her drive to the nearest Apple Store 100 miles away but that would be using more money that the $45 fee. That's BS.

The reason I don't want an $1100 hold on my credit card......is the last time I did something like that, it didn't go well.
All providers do the same thing including Best Buy. It's in their return policy.

Reactions: slippery-pete

Renho

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
It’s not gone for a day.

It’s just a temporary hold on a credit card. You don’t ever pay anything unless you don’t follow the return instructions.
Yes it is gone till it comes back. So if i have $1200 in my account, I only have $100 to spend till it comes back. You know banks, could take a week. I’m just saying I couldn’t afford not having that for a week...

But what he can do is as soon as they put a hold on it, call bank and tell them to release it and they will.

Wags

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
I'm not sure I fully understand. Are they trying to charge you a restocking fee only in the case of you swapping the phone? Is returning the phone an option?

I left AT&T years ago but from what I remember then, which obviously could've changed. There wasn't a restocking fee when returning Apple devices.
It is listed on their website under returns policy. Everyone should be aware of return/exchange policies when making a major purchase.

Reactions: Crow_Servo

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
Wrong. AT&T will charge a restocking fee in-store or thru their online/phone support. I understand why Apple does it. AT&T has a store in the town where she is, it is less than 14 days.....why can't they swap for free? Other retailers do it? This is ATT, with their ****** ass support, trying to make money off things others do for free. It is called CUSTOMER SERVICE. As for switch, cannot switch the 3 other lines without taking a big hit upfront.

My problem is not with Apple. It is with AT&T.
You deal directly with Apple. There is no restocking fee. Send the phone to Apple, they send you a new phone. No CC charge, no restocking fee. You do not have to deal with AT&T at all.

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
Yes it is gone till it comes back. So if i have $1200 in my account, I only have $100 to spend till it comes back. You know banks, could take a week. I’m just saying I couldn’t afford not having that for a week...

But what he can do is as soon as they put a hold on it, call bank and tell them to release it and they will.
The money on a credit card is never actually in your account...it’s just credit available.

Now if you choose to use a debit card that is a different story.

Or you could do as the previous poster suggested. Send the phone in and once it’s received they will send a replacement. No money or “credit available” ever changes hands. There only downside is that you’ll be without the phone for a little while.

Renho

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA

Since you can’t deal with Apple, I would have them put a hold on it, call up bank and tell them to release it and bam. Your good..

Mr.Scarface

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009

They charge the fee regardless. She is just trying to swap out the defective phone. I put AppleCare on the phone. She could drive 90 miles to the close AppleStore, but I don't want her doing that.

Renho

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
The money on a credit card is never actually in your account...it’s just credit available.

Now if you choose to use a debit card that is a different story.
Oh we are talking difference of cards. I get what ur saying. Just some of us can’t take a $1100 hit is all I mean, debit or credit. But that’s not ATT fault, he is just in a crappy situation and ATT is not at fault here. You never do exchanges with seller always manufacture

jk1211

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
ATT- up to 14 days Device restocking fee: up to $45. Apple devices: No restocking fee if device is returned unopened.
https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/returnpolicy.html

Verizon- A $50 restocking fee applies to all wireless device returns and all wireless exchanges (excluding Hawaii).
https://www.verizonwireless.com/one-support/return-procedure/

Tmobile- Within 14 days. [T]he restocking fee is $50 for “smart phone” and "wearable devices" with SIM cards, which are high-end phones and wearable devices that are designed for Web and social media use in addition to standard phone features such as voice and text messaging; and for all other devices
https://www.t-mobile.com/templates/popup.aspx?passet=ftr_ftr_returnpolicy

We can pretend in fantasy land that ATT sucks or accept that is the policy for ALL carriers.

Apple will exchange it in store for free, or putting a hold on your credit card until the old device is returned. You never spend any money, it is a hold on free credit. Or simply bring it to a store if that's not acceptable.

Carriers don't do free hardware swaps/exchanges for Apple hardware. That is Apple's instructions as it's their hardware.

mpavilion

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
ATT- up to 14 days Device restocking fee: up to $45. Apple devices: No restocking fee if device is returned unopened.
https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/returnpolicy.html

Verizon- A $50 restocking fee applies to all wireless device returns and all wireless exchanges (excluding Hawaii).
https://www.verizonwireless.com/one-support/return-procedure/

Tmobile- Within 14 days. [T]he restocking fee is $50 for “smart phone” and "wearable devices" with SIM cards, which are high-end phones and wearable devices that are designed for Web and social media use in addition to standard phone features such as voice and text messaging; and for all other devices
https://www.t-mobile.com/templates/popup.aspx?passet=ftr_ftr_returnpolicy

We can pretend in fantasy land that ATT sucks or accept that is the policy for ALL carriers.

Apple will exchange it in store for free, or putting a hold on your credit card until the old device is returned. You never spend any money, it is a hold on free credit. Or simply bring it to a store if that's not acceptable.

Carriers don't do free hardware swaps/exchanges for Apple hardware. That is Apple's instructions as it's their hardware.
TMO does not charge a restocking fee if you are swapping a defective phone (at any time during the warranty period). The language you’re quoting isn’t applicable to this situation.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I like at&t but that rule is stupid. I’d go to a different store and try with them. FYI any manager can waive a restocking fee, they’ve done it for me before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.