Carrier AT&T Sucks. Leave them if u can.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mr.Scarface, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Mr.Scarface macrumors regular

AT&T will not swap out a defective XS without a $45 restocking fee (been 8 days). They claim all hardware issues have to handle by APPLE, which is ********. I could buy the phone from Best Buy and not have that issue. The problem is the phone was purchased for my daughter who is in a town with no Apple Store (College). To use Apple, I would have to put another $1100 hold on a credit card to have them ship a phone. I could always have her drive to the nearest Apple Store 100 miles away but that would be using more money that the $45 fee. That's BS.

The reason I don't want an $1100 hold on my credit card......is the last time I did something like that, it didn't go well.

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

You're the one being impossible. ATT has an agreement that Apple handles all iPhone support issues. You have been given all the choices. A hold on your credit card for a couple of days sounds like the best solution.

3. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

If the phone is truly defective, they should not require a restocking fee to swap it. (TMO wouldn’t, in my experience.)

4. bpeeps macrumors 68030

bpeeps

It sounds like you already have your answer. Leave ATT and purchase a phone and plan from a different carrier.

5. Wags macrumors 65816

Threaten to leave them unless waive and do it if don’t. Always buy from Apple unless get some very good price but know that you are under the carriers terms.

6. Gooberton macrumors 65816

Your the one being a pain in the ass, go to apple or send it to apple, I’ve never ever done anything other then that, and I have att

7. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

You have a choice with Apple. You can send the phone to them, and when they get it, they send you a replacement. No charge to your card. Or, like you said, they send you a new one, charge your card $1100, and remove the charge when they get the other one.

8. Jtludwig macrumors 6502

Agreed.

It’s only a hold—they don’t even actually charge your card.

9. Mr.Scarface thread starter macrumors regular

Wrong. AT&T will charge a restocking fee in-store or thru their online/phone support. I understand why Apple does it. AT&T has a store in the town where she is, it is less than 14 days.....why can't they swap for free? Other retailers do it? This is ATT, with their ****** ass support, trying to make money off things others do for free. It is called CUSTOMER SERVICE. As for switch, cannot switch the 3 other lines without taking a big hit upfront.

My problem is not with Apple. It is with AT&T.

10. Renho macrumors 68000

Renho

$1100 is a lot to some, that means no weekend money to go And get drunk with fat chicks. That’s worth not doing it right there.

11. Mr.Scarface thread starter macrumors regular

No Apple store in the town she is at. A college student without her phone for 3 or 4 days.........not what I want.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 29, 2018 ---
    Or paying for a VERY EXPENSIVE University......and every penny counts.

12. Renho macrumors 68000

Renho

That too... I couldn’t afford $1100 gone for a day, some don’t realize that.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 29, 2018 ---
    But it does say you have 14 days to return and there will be a restocking fee. But I figured that was for people that just didn’t want it anymore. Not for defective units.

13. Jtludwig macrumors 6502

It’s not gone for a day.

It’s just a temporary hold on a credit card. You don’t ever pay anything unless you don’t follow the return instructions.

14. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I'm not sure I fully understand. Are they trying to charge you a restocking fee only in the case of you swapping the phone? Is returning the phone an option?

I left AT&T years ago but from what I remember then, which obviously could've changed. There wasn't a restocking fee when returning Apple devices.

15. IdentityCrisis Suspended

All providers do the same thing including Best Buy. It's in their return policy.

16. Renho macrumors 68000

Renho

Yes it is gone till it comes back. So if i have $1200 in my account, I only have $100 to spend till it comes back. You know banks, could take a week. I’m just saying I couldn’t afford not having that for a week...

But what he can do is as soon as they put a hold on it, call bank and tell them to release it and they will.

17. Wags macrumors 65816

It is listed on their website under returns policy. Everyone should be aware of return/exchange policies when making a major purchase.

18. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

You deal directly with Apple. There is no restocking fee. Send the phone to Apple, they send you a new phone. No CC charge, no restocking fee. You do not have to deal with AT&T at all.

19. Jtludwig macrumors 6502

The money on a credit card is never actually in your account...it’s just credit available.

Now if you choose to use a debit card that is a different story.

Or you could do as the previous poster suggested. Send the phone in and once it’s received they will send a replacement. No money or “credit available” ever changes hands. There only downside is that you’ll be without the phone for a little while.

20. Renho macrumors 68000

Renho

Since you can’t deal with Apple, I would have them put a hold on it, call up bank and tell them to release it and bam. Your good..

21. Mr.Scarface thread starter macrumors regular

They charge the fee regardless. She is just trying to swap out the defective phone. I put AppleCare on the phone. She could drive 90 miles to the close AppleStore, but I don't want her doing that.

22. Renho macrumors 68000

Renho

Oh we are talking difference of cards. I get what ur saying. Just some of us can’t take a $1100 hit is all I mean, debit or credit. But that’s not ATT fault, he is just in a crappy situation and ATT is not at fault here. You never do exchanges with seller always manufacture

23. jk1211 macrumors 6502

ATT- up to 14 days Device restocking fee: up to $45. Apple devices: No restocking fee if device is returned unopened.
    https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/returnpolicy.html

Verizon- A $50 restocking fee applies to all wireless device returns and all wireless exchanges (excluding Hawaii).
    https://www.verizonwireless.com/one-support/return-procedure/

Tmobile- Within 14 days. [T]he restocking fee is $50 for “smart phone” and "wearable devices" with SIM cards, which are high-end phones and wearable devices that are designed for Web and social media use in addition to standard phone features such as voice and text messaging; and for all other devices
    https://www.t-mobile.com/templates/popup.aspx?passet=ftr_ftr_returnpolicy

We can pretend in fantasy land that ATT sucks or accept that is the policy for ALL carriers.

Apple will exchange it in store for free, or putting a hold on your credit card until the old device is returned. You never spend any money, it is a hold on free credit. Or simply bring it to a store if that's not acceptable.

Carriers don't do free hardware swaps/exchanges for Apple hardware. That is Apple's instructions as it's their hardware.

24. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

TMO does not charge a restocking fee if you are swapping a defective phone (at any time during the warranty period). The language you’re quoting isn’t applicable to this situation.

25. rockitdog macrumors 68020

I like at&t but that rule is stupid. I’d go to a different store and try with them. FYI any manager can waive a restocking fee, they’ve done it for me before.