Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
They are competitors and I am sure these logos are worldwide standardized at least they should be no? If anything it should be LTE+

Unfortunately, I think there are standards set by certain governing bodies, but the carriers often do what they want. Some will argue that even some implementations of LTE are technically "not even 4G" even though for T-Mobile and AT&T customers, LTE > 4G on their devices. Since there's no punishment or anyone holding them accountable, a carrier could call their new network "Super Cool Awesome Cellular Data Network" and ignore any sort of standardization. Personally, I'd love to see some consistency, along the lines of where they've gone with Wi-Fi generations (increasing numeric values), or adding a + for the "enhanced" version of a half-generation (3G, 3G+ (HSPA), 4G (LTE), 4G+ (LTE Advanced), 5G, etc.)

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Good.. AT&T did the exact same with that HSPA+ mess when moving from 3G to 4G. They always seem to operate from a position of either network weakness (no picture message back in iPhone exclusivity, no FaceTime over cellular when iOS allowed it, etc.) or shadiness.

Exactly. I'm glad to see that so many people remember the similar AT&T farce where they tried to call HSPA+ "4G", whereas 3.5G would have been a more appropriate term. But trying to use the "5Ge" label is definitely deceptive and confusing, especially since there has been minimal 5G rollout so far, which is why I'm not worried in the least if an Apple phone doesn't have 5G support until at least next year.

twistedpixel8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
I feel Samsung should have been sued over QLED as well. The number of people I know who tell me they have an OLED and it turns out to be a QLED is ridiculous. They genuinely think they bought into OLED technology.

Reactions: DCIFRTHS and SDJim

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
LTE-A should be called that, LTE-A.
The fact that AT&T put the number 5 in there is already misleading, no matter how "clear" they "define" it. It's not actual 5G, so the number 5 should not be in it, period.

whyamihere

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
'nati
Best thing I've seen Sprint do since... well ever I guess.

And by AT&T's own statement, if this is an evolution of LTE, then it should be LTEE or LTE+. We haven't reached 5G yet so it can't be evolved or show a symbol indicating it has. Fools.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Best thing I've seen Sprint do since... well ever I guess.

And by AT&T's own statement, if this is an evolution of LTE, then it should be LTEE or LTE+. We haven't reached 5G yet so it can't be evolved or show a symbol indicating it has. Fools.
I’d say less foolish than greedy & deceptive. They did get away with it in 2010, so why not do it again?

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
I remember ATT also taking heat back in the day for pushing HSPA+ as “4G” before it was LTE.

T-mobile really was the starter of that as they didn’t have much LTE coverage at the time but had plenty of HSPA+.

The fact that so many carriers got away with a “4G” scam though (AT&T and T-mobile both advertising HSPA+ as 4G while sprint was advertising WIMAX as 4G all while these technologies were not meeting actual speed requirements for 4G) is definitely what’s making AT&T more brazen about misleading 5G technology, they did it in the past without major backlash so they’re trying it again.

Last edited:

randyhudson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
USA
... but they're not likely to be impacted in the same way as a customer who wanted the benefits of 5G but don't dig deep enough into the fine print to understand the deception.

And what benefits would that be? To stream 10 4K videos simultaneously? Or to blow through your monthly data cap in 20 seconds?

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
I feel Samsung should have been sued over QLED as well. The number of people I know who tell me they have an OLED and it turns out to be a QLED is ridiculous. They genuinely think they bought into OLED technology.

Haven’t bought a tv in awhile but I honestly thought Samsung’s QLED line was their OLED line, at least that’s what I’ve gotten from the commercials :eek::oops:

What’s the actual difference? I will be buying a tv soon.

Reactions: Klososky

Joe h

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2017
AT&T has really been taking a beating lately, losing subscribers in almost every venture, (wireless, uverse, directv, directv now, hbo, nba), now they’re getting sued, the directv merger is really weighing them down, and they’re unable to provide UFC pay per views, because they decided to argue over pennies.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Clearly, the current naming standards are meaningless.

I think the industry should switch to "#.##G" naming standard:
  • 2.5G: 2G GPRS
  • 2.9G: 2G EDGE
  • 2.9G+: 2G Evolved Edge
  • 3G: 3G UMTS and 3G WCDMA
  • 3.5G: 3G HSPA
  • 3.75G: 3G HSPA+
  • 3.9G: 3G HSOPA (indicated by some carrier as "4G")
  • 4G: 4G LTE (indicated on most phones as "LTE")
  • 4.25G? (not an official name): 4G LTE Advanced (indicated by some carrier as "4G+")
  • 4.5G: 4G LTE Advanced Pro (indicated by AT&T as "5Ge")
  • 5G: 5G

themachugger

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
I've been with AT&T since the rollout of the very first iPhone. The only possible way to interpret their response is "we'll say whatever we want no matter how misleading." My next iPhone will definitely not be on the AT&T network. I realize all of these telecoms are within a fraction of an inch of each other with their ethical behavior but AT&T currently stands a little lower than the rest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.