Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following in the footsteps of T-Mobile and Verizon, AT&T today announced plans to debut a new unlimited data plan that's available to all of its postpaid customers. The unlimited plan will be available starting tomorrow.

AT&T previously offered an unlimited data plan, but it was limited to customers who were also DirecTV or U-Verse customers.

According to AT&T, the new plan will provide unlimited talk, text, and data on four lines for $180, which is more expensive than T-Mobile's ONE data plan for four customers and on par with Verizon's pricing, also at $180 for four lines. A single line is priced at $100.

ATT-new-2016-logo-featured-800x400.jpg

AT&T is including unlimited calls from the U.S. to Canada and Mexico and unlimited texts to more than 120 countries around the world. Customers are also able to talk, text, and use data in Canada and Mexico with no roaming charges.
"We're offering unlimited entertainment on the nation's best data network where and when you want to enjoy more of what you love," said David Christopher, Chief Marketing Officer of the AT&T Entertainment Group.
AT&T's $180 price point is after a $40 credit for the fourth smartphone line, which will start after two billing periods. Prior to then, customers will need to pay $220 per month for the plan.

The company's fine print says that AT&T "may slow speeds" during periods of network congestion for customers who consume more than 22GB of data, which is not a surprise as T-Mobile and Verizon's plans contain similar caveats. The unlimited plan also includes the Stream Saver feature, which downgrades video to 480p. Stream Saver is enabled by default, but can be turned off online.

With AT&T now offering an unlimited plan for all of its customers, all of the major carriers in the United States have unlimited data plans available, which is impressive because for the last several years, carriers like AT&T and Verizon have been heavily focused on eliminating their unlimited customers.

Sprint and T-Mobile have offered unlimited data plans since August, and T-Mobile's growing popularity and regular feature additions at an affordable price appears to have inspired AT&T and Verizon to re-adopt unlimited plans.

Verizon announced its unlimited plan earlier this week with inclusions like 10GB of tethering data and HD video streaming, spurring T-Mobile to implement similar changes. With T-Mobile's new tethering offerings and higher-quality video streaming, it continues to offer the best value at $70 per month for a single subscriber (Verizon's plan is $80). Sprint's plan is priced at $55 per month, but its coverage can't compete with T-Mobile, Verizon, and AT&T, and AT&T's plan is the most expensive of the four at $100 for a single line.

Article Link: AT&T to Launch New Unlimited Data Plan

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I wonder what the price is for 3 lines. Probably the $180. Would be about the same price I am paying now for 3 lines of ATT grandfathered. But that is about to go up $15 next month.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
AT&T doesn't seem to care about keeping wireless costumers they've lost about a million the last 6 months.
At this price why not pay the same or less at Verizon with a better network and no capped video quality? 10GB tethering too.

BoltmanLives

Suspended
Feb 10, 2017
Best deal on ATT is 15GB Family plan with FAN discount ($100+15+15+15+15) we never use all 15GB and usually have about 19GB with rollover. 18% off with FAN. this of course is it when you BYOD to avoid that stupid $40 charge per line. Works with NEXT too.

About $140 /4 = $35.20 per line teathering/hotspot and ATT wifi hotspots included.

$220 is crazy expensive, especially if it does not have tethering as well.

Last edited:

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I wonder what the price is for 3 lines. Probably the $180. Would be about the same price I am paying now for 3 lines of ATT grandfathered. But that is about to go up $15 next month.
It is $180. I'm on ATTWS (and also use VZW, but this is besides this point), with DirecTV. The current ATTWS UL data terms are here:
https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/unlimited-plan.html

What some are not aware of is you can get that 4th line - $40 plus a $40 credit, so no cost besides the taxes - in a cellular iPad, I just asked nicely. I use this iPad for my mom, in a rural area with spotty power issues - when the power goes out she fires up the iPad's DirecTV app and watches her programming on that, and the DirecTV app's data doesn't count against the allocation. Gotta keep mom happy…

The only miss is no tethering, and I don't see it in this new plan either. :oops:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.