Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
One of the questions on the ATT trade in questionaire is to provide the phone number and IMEI/Serial of the trade in device. I currently own a XS Max and will upgrade to Pro Max using the $800 credit. I also plan to purchase a used unlocked iphone 8 on ebay which will be used as the trade in. Then I sell the XS Max on Facebook marketplace. I assume I use the line # on my XS Max (soon to be ProMax) when completing the question on phone number even though that iphone 8 was never used on that line?
Yes whichever number you used to buy the 12 Pro Max will be the number you use on the trade in offer. The IMEI is just for AT&T to determine what phone you have and if its paid off/reported to insurance.
[automerge]1602954516[/automerge]
Where is the fine print or terms. On the trade in page or when enroll.
Trade in page. here: https://tradein.att.com/offer-details

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
So how far is the price of used iPhone 8’s going to go up? ;)

The other carries are on board with this type of thing, and there’s considerable buzz in the media. The surprising thing to me (although it probably shouldn’t be), is the way they lump in the 8 to 11 models. So you get these people buying used 8’s to trade in. Should be interesting how this plays out.

Last edited:
Reactions: thadoggfather

noahc

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2005
I had an older plan no longer offered so had to upgrade to unlimited elite which ended up cutting our bill by $20 a month for 2 lines so no complaints. Got the email today which is a bit of a relief since things were vague yesterday following the preorder.

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
Why the heck don’t they just list the eligible AT&T data plans in the email? I am on the Unlimited & More (SM) $120/month for 4 lines plan. Does this one qualify?
Check the website, that's all the reps are going to do. They read the terms and interpret them for you. They really don't have any other knowledge because the deal is so new etc.
Form the details page it doesn't say which unlimited plans you have to have just that you must activate on an existing postpaid unlimited plan or if your a new customer you have to get an unlimited plant that's $75 or more before discounts.

Reactions: rui no onna

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
I had an older plan no longer offered so had to upgrade to unlimited elite which ended up cutting our bill by $20 a month for 2 lines so no complaints. Got the email today which is a bit of a relief since things were vague yesterday following the preorder.
Same here I have an older plan and changing to the Elite cut my bill by $40 so no complaints from me.

Reactions: dmdcash

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009

The other carries are on board with this type of thing, and there’s considerable buzz in the media. The surprising thing to me (although it probably shouldn’t be), is the way they lump in the 8 to 11 models. So you get these people buying used 8’s to trade it. Should be interesting how this plays out.
I doubt they will go up as most people don't want the hassle of ordering a older iPhone off eBay just to get the same credit and keep their current iPhone. I think most people are looking at this and saying "I can get the new iPhone 12 for free or 12 Pro $200 and trade in my iPhone 8-11 and get back almost everything I paid for that device 2-3 years ago."

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I was gong to just skip this phone and keep my XS/ 512 for another year but after a good 40 minute chat session with a CS, we came up with a deal that doubled my data, dropped my bill by $20 a month and I get a 12 Pro 512. It was a no brainer for me.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007

The other carries are on board with this type of thing, and there’s considerable buzz in the media. The surprising thing to me (although it probably shouldn’t be), is the way they lump in the 8 to 11 models. So you get these people buying used 8’s to trade it. Should be interesting how this plays out.

It actually looks a bit tricky getting an unlocked 8 in good shape for a reasonable price on eBay

local Craigslist which is normally good for stuff , lookshorrible in my area and no deals at all

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
Check the website, that's all the reps are going to do. They read the terms and interpret them for you. They really don't have any other knowledge because the deal is so new etc.
Form the details page it doesn't say which unlimited plans you have to have just that you must activate on an existing postpaid unlimited plan or if your a new customer you have to get an unlimited plant that's $75 or more before discounts.
The rep I spoke with on Thursday night clarified that all Unlimited plans, including legacy like yours, qualify for this deal. The only downside is only the new Unlimited plans include 5G access. I found that to be a bit of BS but whatever.

Reactions: walds11

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
Yeah I was told by three separate AT&T representatives that it had to be the newer unlimited plans (Elite, Extra or Starter). Actually, the first time I called, the guy told me it had to be Elite or Extra only! They don’t know.
I like to use chat so I have proof what they said. They told me no activation fee one time. It took me 3 people to get them to honor what their employee said.

five40josh

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2014
Seattle
I like to use chat so I have proof what they said. They told me no activation fee one time. It took me 3 people to get them to honor what their employee said.
Yeah I mean if their reps are not given the info they need for when people call in with these questions and they’re just shooting from the hip, then they should honor whatever comes out of their mouths (fingertips)!

Reactions: walds11

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
The reps apparently haven’t gotten the memo. They will get the memo, then they will get about 20 calls from management asking if they got the memo.

Posted form Chotchkie’s

Last edited:
Reactions: thadoggfather

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
The reps apparently haven’t gotten the memo. They will get the memo, then the will get about 20 calls from management asking if they got the memo.

Posted form Chotchkie’s

you mean innotech ;)

chotchkies is the silver lining, unless you’re Jennifer anistons character

--

cant wait for Friday. wow next to my SE2, doesnt seem THAT much larger. will be curious to compare to my friends 11 non pro in a bit too

Attachments

• IMG_0046.jpeg
    IMG_0046.jpeg
    270.8 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0047.jpeg
    IMG_0047.jpeg
    282.9 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

pippakay

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2009
haven't found this asked elsewhere and am pretty sure I know the answer but want to be sure. this would be a good deal for me, I'd love to trade in my X for $800 credit, but: I travel (well, I did, pre-covid, and hopefully will again) so the dual/e-SIM is very valuable to me. I use my AT&T e-SIM when in this country, and insert someone else's sim when I'm in, say, France.

since the new phone is locked to at&t, I would NOT be able to insert an additional SIM card when I'm in another country because the phone is locked, right? thanks...

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
This deal is really good until next year when the new iPhone comes out and y'all have to keep this one to keep receiving credits. It's good for those that keep their devices for a while. There will be a few that will be trying to figure out a way around it next year.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
This deal is a dud for me. My 9 GB mobile share plan is $86/month for 2 lines. Changing to two unlimited plans at $120/month total raises my money costs $34/month. Over 30 months that comes to $1020. No thanks lol.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
This deal is really good until next year when the new iPhone comes out and y'all have to keep this one to keep receiving credits. It's good for those that keep their devices for a while. There will be a few that will be trying to figure out a way around it next year.
Pay it off, then sell it or trade it. Would still be just as good as anything else.

mwhals

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
From the Apple website - Looks like it requires either an upgraded plan or a new line. Not sure what that means for folks already on the Unlimited plans....

1. AT&T Special Trade-In Offer: Monthly Price reflects net monthly payment, after application of AT&T trade-in credit up to $800 applied over 30 months after trade-in of eligible smartphone with minimum $95 trade-in value. Requires upgrade of an existing line (or activation of a new line in stores) and purchase of a new iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, or iPhone 12 Pro Max on qualifying 30 month 0% APR installment plan, subject to carrier credit qualification.

No thanks. I will keep my 11 Pro Max. I only pay cash for everything and refuse to go with credit for 30 full months to get the full credit.

Reactions: VineRider

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Apple is giving $140 up front for an iPhone 8.
T-Mobile adds $150 on top of whatever Apple offers.
I think Verizon is giving $440 over 2 years.
With so many complaints about this AT&T offer I’m very curious to hear what people think a good yet competitive deal would be.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68040
No thanks. I will keep my 11 Pro Max. I only pay cash for everything and refuse to go with credit for 30 full months to get the full credit.
Given the terms AT&T offers includes zero interest payments, and assuming you’re not swapping providers every few months, it’s actually a better deal for those that have the cash, since you don’t need to use your money to buy a 12 / 12 Pro, you can use AT&T’s money. I’m actually going to take my wife’s upgrade to get a 12 Pro Max, and swap her my 11 Pro Max, trading in her XR, which will make us both happy.

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
The rep I spoke with on Thursday night clarified that all Unlimited plans, including legacy like yours, qualify for this deal. The only downside is only the new Unlimited plans include 5G access. I found that to be a bit of BS but whatever.
Yea I upgraded to the newer plan already just because I’m saving an extra $40 now.

Reactions: dmdcash

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
Well yea... if you get a new phone each year then you obviously just pay to lease the phone and trade it in to get the new one each year. This deal is for long time att customers who only upgrade when they need to. They are trying to get the people who keep their phones for 5 years say and trade them in early. Also this deal is to entice people to switch to att. This deal was never for the people who tend to upgrade every year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.