Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
This deal was never for the people who tend to upgrade every year.

I’m only looking at trading in the iPhone 8 because that’s the minimum phone required.
After one year AT&T will have given you $320 in credits.
Apple gives you $140 up front.
T-mobile gives you $290 up front.
Verizon will have given you $220.
So why isn’t this a good deal even for the people who want to upgrade again next year?

Last edited:

The 12th Man

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2016
Hmm, will you be able to do all the processes required for upgrading the phone in person at an ATT store? (Trade-in, purchase, etc)

PO2345

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2012
Houston
I was excited about this deal initially, because Im on ATT & I have an iPhone 8, but i read the part about having to do an unlimited plan.

I currently do not have unlimited (don't need it) & I pay about $78 a month after taxes. If i add any unlimited plan thats a minimum $30 per month more I have to pay & i have to sign for 30 months, so thats $900 over that time frame.

I'm not really saving anything. Sucks.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
I was excited about this deal initially, because Im on ATT & I have an iPhone 8, but i read the part about having to do an unlimited plan.

I currently do not have unlimited (don't need it) & I pay about $78 a month after taxes. If i add any unlimited plan thats a minimum $30 per month more I have to pay & i have to sign for 30 months, so thats $900 over that time frame.

Unlimited Starter is only $75/month plus taxes.

PO2345

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2012
Houston
Unlimited Starter is only $75/month plus taxes.

Yeah, the starter unlimited speeds are real bad though. Like its real slow. Thats the bad part.
Right now I have the Mobile Share Advantage 12GB & I don't have issues, have HD streaming etc.

jhearty99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Long Island, NY
This deal is really good until next year when the new iPhone comes out and y'all have to keep this one to keep receiving credits. It's good for those that keep their devices for a while. There will be a few that will be trying to figure out a way around it next year.

Its really not that difficult, I literally do this every year and this deal just makes it that much better. Take the 128gb 12 pro for $999 for example. Participate in this deal and your phone payment after credits is $6.63. After 12 months, the payoff is $600. Payoff the phone and you can easily resell for $600. iPhone 11 Pros are going for a minimum of $650 on Swappa at the moment. So you basically get the 12 pro for a year for the cost of sales tax and $80 in payments after the credits and have no problem getting next years iPhone.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
haven't found this asked elsewhere and am pretty sure I know the answer but want to be sure. this would be a good deal for me, I'd love to trade in my X for $800 credit, but: I travel (well, I did, pre-covid, and hopefully will again) so the dual/e-SIM is very valuable to me. I use my AT&T e-SIM when in this country, and insert someone else's sim when I'm in, say, France.

since the new phone is locked to at&t, I would NOT be able to insert an additional SIM card when I'm in another country because the phone is locked, right? thanks...

Correct. You can't unlock it until it is paid off. Which stops the credits. Carry another phone, unfortunately, and maybe hotspot so you can use your ATT number on Wi-Fi. Or look at the options for international roaming passes.

Last time I was on vacation overseas, I carried a second phone. But that one was only for the camera since I was on vacation and I pretty much used up both batteries one long day.

Reactions: pippakay

mwhals

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
Given the terms AT&T offers includes zero interest payments, and assuming you’re not swapping providers every few months, it’s actually a better deal for those that have the cash, since you don’t need to use your money to buy a 12 / 12 Pro, you can use AT&T’s money. I’m actually going to take my wife’s upgrade to get a 12 Pro Max, and swap her my 11 Pro Max, trading in her XR, which will make us both happy.

It doesn’t matter. It is still credit even if zero interest. It increases the payment meaning I need to reduce savings or retirement contributions by the same amount. This is why I only pay cash for everything, including automobiles. I love having no payments of any type.

AT&T is screwing those of us that can pay cash.

Besides, there is nothing on the iPhone 12 that I want. 5G is useless in my area and that is the only feature I would want. My 11 Pro Max will last me until the iPhone 14 or 15 or until 5G comes to my area.

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
It doesn’t matter. It is still credit even if zero interest. It increases the payment meaning I need to reduce savings or retirement contributions by the same amount. This is why I only pay cash for everything, including automobiles. I love having no payments of any type.

I totally get not wanting to use credit and only pay cash, but you don’t necessarily need to reduce your savings or retirement contributions. Simply take the $1000 in cash that you have for the phone and put it in a savings account. Then each month when you need to make your phone payment take $6.63 out of that account. ($6.63 is the $999 cost of an iPhone 12 pro divided by 30 months minus the $26.66 credit for the deal in question. That’s the amount you’ll need to pay each month for the iPhone 12 pro).

At the end of the 30 months you will have $800 left in that account (maybe a little more if you put it in an interest bearing account) and you will not have needed to take any money from your savings or retirement contributions. In fact, if you wanted to you could only put $200 in the account to start with and then put the extra $800 into your retirement or savings account from the beginning.

And if you don’t want to do it that way, then more power to you, you’re free to spend your money how you want. But to me it seems really short sighted to get hung up on the “no credit” bandwagon and miss an opportunity to save $800.

Last edited:

jesChexin

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2018

Besides, there is nothing on the iPhone 12 that I want. 5G is useless in my area and that is the only feature I would want. My 11 Pro Max will last me until the iPhone 14 or 15 or until 5G comes to my area.
Not entirely true. If you only wanted the entry level iPhone 12 at $800 with a qualifying trade in, they would put $26.67/mo on your bill, but give you an equal offsetting credit of $26.67/mo. After 30 months, the phone is paid off and ended up costing you $0 - you’re essentially ahead of the game because AT&T gave you credit for 2 and a half years and you paid essentially zero dollars (less than zero if you factor in time value of money). I’m not saying you’d only want the entry level or not want to upgrade for two and a half years, but for those that do - it is an incredible deal.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

Assuming one is already on an eligible unlimited plan and unless one wants to switch, upgrade or unlock before the 30 month period is up, I don't see how this is trying to screw over customers.

This is an incentive offer for essentially locking you into a contract. If the resale value of your old device is less than the $800 credit that ATT offers (or however much credit you receive before you switch/upgrade/unlock), then it actually decreases the amount you have to pay for the device.

Yes, you have a 0% APR loan but AT&T is making the payments (or a good chunk of it) for every month you stay with them.

Reactions: kltmom and Gjwilly

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area

You mean you’re screwing yourself.
If you have the cash to put down on a phone then you also have the cash to put in the bank and withdraw over 30 months.
The no credit thing is nice, I get it.
But it’s 100% self-imposed.
Don’t blame AT&T for not knowing how to handle your own money.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
If you have the cash to put down on a phone then you also have the cash to put in the bank and withdraw over 30 months.

But generally banks pay nothing on savings. Though I saw a bank advertising 3.51% on checking account in Texas.

gelie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2010
I totally get not wanting to use credit and only pay cash, but you don’t necessarily need to reduce your savings or retirement contributions. Simply take the $1000 in cash that you have for the phone and put it in a savings account. Then each month when you need to make your phone payment take $6.63 out of that account. ($6.63 is the $999 cost of an iPhone 12 pro divided by 30 months minus the $26.66 credit for the deal in question. That’s the amount you’ll need to pay each month for the iPhone 12 pro).

At the end of the 30 months you will have $800 left in that account (maybe a little more if you put it in an interest bearing account) and you will not have needed to take any money from your savings or retirement contributions. In fact, if you wanted to you could only put $200 in the account to start with and then put the extra $800 into your retirement or savings account from the beginning.

And if you don’t want to do it that way, then more power to you, you’re free to spend your money how you want. But to me it seems really short sighted to get hung up on the “no credit” bandwagon and miss an opportunity to save $800.

It’s pretty simple. ATT wants your for the whole 30 months so they can roll out their 5G.

Maui19

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2007
The ATT deal was a no-go for me. I would have had to upgrade all my lines to unlimited (albeit their cheapest unlimited plan). It was going to cost me $40 more a month to get the $800 discount. Over 30 months, it was going to cost me $1,200 to save $800. Dealing with ATT on the phone was excruciating, BTW. I was transferred three times with an extended hold each time.

Reactions: Illini Al

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
I’m only looking at trading in the iPhone 8 because that’s the minimum phone required.
After one year AT&T will have given you $320 in credits.
Apple gives you $140 up front.
T-mobile gives you $290 up front.
Verizon will have given you $220.
So why isn’t this a good deal even for the people who want to upgrade again next year?
I’m not saying it’s not a good deal at all but I don’t think AT&T intended this deal to appeal to those people who upgrade every year. If you buy an iPhone 8 to trade in for $200 ish and get $320 in credits then you really aren’t saving very much money. And if you have an iPhone 8 already chances are you will keep this phone for 3 years.

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
The ATT deal was a no-go for me. I would have had to upgrade all my lines to unlimited (albeit their cheapest unlimited plan). It was going to cost me $40 more a month to get the $800 discount. Over 30 months, it was going to cost me $1,200 to save $800. Dealing with ATT on the phone was excruciating, BTW. I was transferred three times with an extended hold each time.
That’s the one thing I hate about most companies. When you call no one ever knows how to answer the real questions I have. I have to call 3-5 times to get someone who actually knows what the hell im talking about. Everyone’s situation is different so you have to judge it on a case by case basis. This deal was great for me because by changing plans I save $40 a month.

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
But generally banks pay nothing on savings. Though I saw a bank advertising 3.51% on checking account in Texas.
Truth. Saving money actually costs you money in most situations unless your return is like 7% a year or higher. So borrowing money at 0% over 30 months actually costs you less over time.

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
Everyone’s situation is different. Some can’t handle payments or don’t want payments. Others can only budget by having payments. Not everyone can pay cash for phones, cars, houses, etc.

Reactions: ecthomp

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
Assuming one is already on an eligible unlimited plan and unless one wants to switch, upgrade or unlock before the 30 month period is up, I don't see how this is trying to screw over customers.

This is an incentive offer for essentially locking you into a contract. If the resale value of your old device is less than the $800 credit that ATT offers (or however much credit you receive before you switch/upgrade/unlock), then it actually decreases the amount you have to pay for the device.

Yes, you have a 0% APR loan but AT&T is making the payments (or a good chunk of it) for every month you stay with them.
I agree. This deal is great for customers who aren’t going to switch from att and have an older phone that want to upgrade.

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009

I agree with your last statement. Especially since you are already going to be paying att each month for your phone bill what’s another $6.50 to have a $1000 phone. It’s not like you have to have a separate bill that you have to remember to pay. 0% interest, 30 months etc it looks like a win win for most people.

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009

You could also look at just buying the new phone and paying regular price. After 30 months you’d be in the same spot. That’s if you really want to upgrade.

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
Its really not that difficult, I literally do this every year and this deal just makes it that much better. Take the 128gb 12 pro for $999 for example. Participate in this deal and your phone payment after credits is $6.63. After 12 months, the payoff is $600. Payoff the phone and you can easily resell for $600. iPhone 11 Pros are going for a minimum of $650 on Swappa at the moment. So you basically get the 12 pro for a year for the cost of sales tax and $80 in payments after the credits and have no problem getting next years iPhone.
This is actually pretty good too. The phone is still going to be worth a good deal of money only being one year old. Either way you can’t lose with this deal right!

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando

I’m not sure that’s really as good of a deal as you think. If you get 12 months of $26.67 credits that’s $320, but remember that you have to trade in a phone to get those credits. Maybe if you were trading in an iPhone 8 you could come out ahead by a little. But like you said, iPhone 11 pro’s are going for $650 on swappa, so you wouldn’t want to trade in an iPhone 11 Pro for just $320 in credits.

If you’re an upgrade every year type person you would be better off selling your current phone and buying the iPhone 12 outright and passing on this deal.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
You could also look at just buying the new phone and paying regular price. After 30 months you’d be in the same spot. That’s if you really want to upgrade.
Not quite. At regular price, his wireless bill eventually goes down once the device is paid off. With this, there's no going back to the old plan so his annual bill is forever $360 more per year than he used to pay.

Reactions: PO2345
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.