Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lsmachado

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2018
Texas
I think they are still a part of the deal. CNET reported it today and it’s still active on the Apple site.
I hope so. Don’t want to seem whiny, but it seems totally unfair since we had no chance to order any sooner than next week.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I hope so. Don’t want to seem whiny, but it seems totally unfair since we had no chance to order any sooner than next week.
It would look pretty ridiculous to pull an offer after positing it from day one on Apple’s site. I wouldn’t worry.

Reactions: Lsmachado

Bballrob

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2017
Alaska
You mean in terms of getting this promo? No of course that won't work. You can only trade in a paid off device.

False. I had a 128 GB XR on which I still owed 5 payments at $26.67. When I did the trade in upgrade those all went away.

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
PSA (and a big one): the 2020 SE can only get max $90 trade in value now.

SO its only eligible for $350 in credits, not $800 anymore.

would not be surprised to see iPhone 8 slip and be next on the chopping block, sometime before Mini/Max preorders go up or shortly thereafter - which are only eligible for $700 in credits max. As of right now, iPhone 8 in good shape can still yield $100, eligible for the $800 for 12 and 12 pro.

Tread carefully.

Though I could've traded in my SE2020 last week, I am all so glad I found an iPhone 8 to give ATT instead. They don't deserve my SE2020 :p

Maybe because people are getting the Walmart deal, buying it off, then giving it right back. A double dip of discounts of sorts. Who knows?

Not sure why iPhone 8 would still be on the list for now but SE not, but maybe that's the core reason is they're seeing tons of SE 2nd gen's.
I think because you really can’t buy a new unlocked iPhone 8 at a good deal and most people won’t want to go buy one of someone. We’re the se 2020 you can walk into any store and buy it $400 full price then turn around and trade it in.

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
Today I got my mail in package for my iPhone 8 trade in. It’s a bubble mailer (4x6 maybe) and a tracking slip to put on it. I thought that was crazy to send a phone in the usps with that little protection so I went to my local att store and tried to trade in but they couldn’t take it. They went through the entire process but at the end when they try to submit it, it just errors out saying that the imei has already been used to start a trade in. I went back to my office packaged it in a box with lots of bubble wrap and took it to the post office and got a receipt for the drop off. Hopefully I don’t have any issues.

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
False. I had a 128 GB XR on which I still owed 5 payments at $26.67. When I did the trade in upgrade those all went away.
They will either bill you for them or not give you the full $800 value I would think. Since the deal requires you trade in a paid off device.

Reactions: blairh

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I think because you really can’t buy a new unlocked iPhone 8 at a good deal and most people won’t want to go buy one of someone. We’re the se 2020 you can walk into any store and buy it $400 full price then turn around and trade it in.

You think people are really doing that vs. Walmart deal + buying it out?

if you can ever catch it in stock its $339 for a 64gb refurb 8 from apple

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I seriously doubt that. I’m willing to bet you still will owe that balance.

Lsmachado

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2018
Texas
Do you mean you were on Next? I know that after you pay off a certain percentage of the phone, then you can trade it in toward a new device, but you’re not given any monetary credit toward the new device if you do it that way. They do forgive any outstanding balance because they are getting the old phone back. I’ve done that a couple of times.

Antomir

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2020
Hey everyone. Hope you're all doing well.
Just had a couple quick questions. I was planning on ordering the iPhone 12 Pro Max direct from Apple next Friday, however, last weekend I went to an ATT corporate store because my girlfriend needed a new SIM card for her iPhone 12 Pro. While I was there I asked them if I could order the phone from Apple and still do the trade in offer with them in store. This is where it went downhill...

She first started off by telling me that if I buy from Apple I can't even finance it with AT&T, which is total bs since its on their website and I've bought my last couple phones that way. Then she also told me that trade in offers when bought through Apple are different than AT&T offers. Which once again, more bs because unless I trade it in to Apple, at the end of the day I am trading it in to AT&T. Anyways, long story short, I knew more than the lady as is typical with AT&T.
But I wanted to get someone's first hand experience:
1. Were you able to order from Apple and trade in with AT&T in order to get the offer?
2. If so, how was the process? At some point on the Apple checkout does it ask you if you want to trade in with AT&T? I know it tells you to select No on the trade in portion if you plan on trading in with AT&T. But my question then becomes, how does AT&T know I want to trade in a phone with them to get the offer?
3. Having bought from Apple, have any of you been able to trade in your phone to an AT&T corporate store? My last trade in got lost in transit for over a month and I'm not in the mood of arguing with AT&T so I rather just make it easier on myself.

Thank you all in advance! Stay safe.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Another development.

$800 for 12 and 12 pro ends nov 5th.

After that will be $700 in credits for any of the four: mini, 12 , 12 pro , 12 pro max

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
You think people are really doing that vs. Walmart deal + buying it out?

if you can ever catch it in stock its $339 for a 64gb refurb 8 from apple
I’m just saying most people won’t think to buy a phone full price to just trade in or even one on a deal. Most people will just trade in whatever phone they have as long as it counts. People like us will get the best deal because we hunt for them.

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
Another development.

After that will be $700 in credits for any of the four: mini, 12 , 12 pro , 12 pro max
Makes sense. Early adopters will get the best deal and the people they tell about it will get a slightly worse deal. But hey $700 still good!

Antomir

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2020
Another development.

It makes sense, and I'm assuming your source is the CNET article? But what I'm curious about is, what is THEIR source haha? I messaged the editor but haven't received a response. I just want to make sure that I don't need to get a 5G plan for the Pro Max offer. The current offer doesn't require a 5G plan so fingers crossed.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
It makes sense, and I'm assuming your source is the CNET article? But what I'm curious about is, what is THEIR source haha? I messaged the editor but haven't received a response. I just want to make sure that I don't need to get a 5G plan for the Pro Max offer. The current offer doesn't require a 5G plan so fingers crossed.

Yeah ... but it would make sense too

Seems an arbitrary thing for them to say without having att sources

I always found it odd only $700 off for mini and max from the start

Timeline wise i get it now

It means if you want a 12 or 12 pro and this deal for the maximum amount get on it this week

Antomir

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2020
Yeah ... but it would make sense too

Seems an arbitrary thing for them to say without having att sources

I always found it odd only $700 off for mini and max from the start

Timeline wise i get it now

It means if you want a 12 or 12 pro and this deal for the maximum amount get on it this week
Yeah for sure. I always thought it would be more because of demand. Perhaps they estimate demand of the Mini and the Max to be higher than others so they're gonna make you pay more for it. But it makes sense now.

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
Hey everyone. Hope you're all doing well.
Just had a couple quick questions. I was planning on ordering the iPhone 12 Pro Max direct from Apple next Friday, however, last weekend I went to an ATT corporate store because my girlfriend needed a new SIM card for her iPhone 12 Pro. While I was there I asked them if I could order the phone from Apple and still do the trade in offer with them in store. This is where it went downhill...

She first started off by telling me that if I buy from Apple I can't even finance it with AT&T, which is total bs since its on their website and I've bought my last couple phones that way. Then she also told me that trade in offers when bought through Apple are different than AT&T offers. Which once again, more bs because unless I trade it in to Apple, at the end of the day I am trading it in to AT&T. Anyways, long story short, I knew more than the lady as is typical with AT&T.
But I wanted to get someone's first hand experience:
1. Were you able to order from Apple and trade in with AT&T in order to get the offer?
2. If so, how was the process? At some point on the Apple checkout does it ask you if you want to trade in with AT&T? I know it tells you to select No on the trade in portion if you plan on trading in with AT&T. But my question then becomes, how does AT&T know I want to trade in a phone with them to get the offer?
3. Having bought from Apple, have any of you been able to trade in your phone to an AT&T corporate store? My last trade in got lost in transit for over a month and I'm not in the mood of arguing with AT&T so I rather just make it easier on myself.

Thank you all in advance! Stay safe.
1. Yes no issues. My att gave me all the details and they said it’s not an issue where you buy it. Only that you get it on the 30 month installment plan with att.
2. I was never asked if I had an att trade in. I’m assuming anyone buying on the installment plan through att receives the same email I did which told me how to trade in a phone for the credit. If you don’t get the email you can still go to att.com/tradein to get the deal with the promo code listed on the page.
3. I would’ve been able to went through the entire process but since I already did the paperwork online they couldn’t take it. All I did was make an appointment with my local att corporate store went in told them I bought the iPhone 12 pro and wanted to trade in my iPhone 8 for the $800 credit. They went through the entire process and showed me before they submitted the offer that I would receive the $800 but when they hit submit it came back with the error that I already started a trade in online so I had to finish it that way. Do not start the trade in online. Just go into the store after you activate your new iPhone. You have 30 days from activation.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Antomir

Antomir

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2020
1. Yes no issues. My att gave me all the details and they said it’s not an issue where you buy it. Only that you get it on the 30 month installment plan with att.
2. I was never asked if I had an att trade in. I’m assuming anyone buying on the installment plan through att receives the same email I did which told me how to trade in a phone for the credit. If you don’t get the email you can still go to att.com/trade-in to get the deal with the promo code listed on the page.
3. I would’ve been able to went through the entire process but since I already did the paperwork online they couldn’t take it. All I did was make an appointment with my local att corporate store went in told them I bought the iPhone 12 pro and wanted to trade in my iPhone 8 for the $800 credit. They went through the entire process and showed me before they submitted the offer that I would receive the $800 but when they hit submit it came back with the error that I already started a trade in online so I had to finish it that way. Do not start the trade in online. Just go into the store after you activate your new iPhone. You have 30 days from activation.
Thank you very much man! I really appreciate it. It really eases my mind a little haha.

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
I seriously doubt that. I’m willing to bet you still will owe that balance.
From what he’s saying he did the “trade in upgrade” key world there is upgrade I think he simply traded back in the xr without doing the $800 credits without knowing.

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
Thank you very much man! I really appreciate it. It really eases my mind a little haha.
Yea no worries. Honestly the only issue with my trade in was on my part. I filled out the online trade in form and had them send me label to mail in the device. Make sure you go to a corporate store to do the trade in and ask for a receipt showing the $800 credit promo. They should be able to print out the final page that shows this. My att corporate store here is really good with their customer service and the managers always keep everyone up to date on the current promos. Also the sales reps don’t mind asking for help when they need it.

Antomir

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2020
Yea no worries. Honestly the only issue with my trade in was on my part. I filled out the online trade in form and had them send me label to mail in the device. Make sure you go to a corporate store to do the trade in and ask for a receipt showing the $800 credit promo. They should be able to print out the final page that shows this. My att corporate store here is really good with their customer service and the managers always keep everyone up to date on the current promos. Also the sales reps don’t mind asking for help when they need it.
Yeah I always make sure to get everything in writing. My mistake was going to that store to begin with. Years ago they switched me out of an old plan that I had without my consent when upgrading and it was a pain to get the plan back. This time around I figured they could at least do a damn SIM card swap haha and they are super close to my house. But when I decide to do the trade in I'll definitely make the drive to my regular store.

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
The incompetence of the people that work at carrier stores is truly incredible. I hope moving forward I never have to step inside an AT&T store ever again.
Yea I would rather deal with the people on the phone at least they only try to sell you internet service or something of that sort. Every time I go into att they try to sell me 3 different accessories that I don’t need or want. Also they use the time to try and sell my other services.

Antomir

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2020
Oh sorry for bothering. Just genuinely curious. Are you on the 5G plans? I'm on the Unlimited and More Premium and my understanding is that I qualify as well since the cost of my base plan is $100 a month, which is more than the $75 that the offer requires.

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
Oh sorry for bothering. Just genuinely curious. Are you on the 5G plans? I'm on the Unlimited and More Premium and my understanding is that I qualify as well since the cost of my base plan is $100 a month, which is more than the $75 that the offer requires.
I was on an older unlimited plan but switched to the elite because I save $40 extra. I’m pretty sure any unlimited plan qualifies you since that’s all it says in the fine print for this promo. Only new customers have to be on one that costs $75 or more.

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
“Activate postpaid unlimited wireless service (min. $75/mo. for new unlimited customers before discounts).”
Those are the terms on att trade in website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.