Carrier AT&T Unlimited Data Plan Throttling Limit Increased to 22GB

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TypeMRT, Sep 15, 2015.

1. TypeMRT macrumors 6502

I can hardly believe after all these years the throttling limit increased from 5GB to 22GB. And AT&T actually explains the throttling (slow speed and increased latency) happens only on congested towers and can vary by the second. I always go over 5GB but never over 20GB, so for me unlimited is finally actually unlimited.
    AT&T is really trying to avoid paying that big FTC fine and at the same time screw over people that finally ditched their unlimited plan to pre-order the iPhone 6s somewhere else.
    Now if we can only get tethering...
    http://9to5mac.com/2015/09/15/att-w...ion-until-users-hit-22gb-an-over-4x-increase/

2. Wise87 macrumors 6502

I also hear that some users are being moved up to unlimited voice at same FamilyTalk plan cost they are currently on. Has AT&T gone soft? I'm excited about the unlimited data :)

3. runtohell121 macrumors 6502

Quite surprise... And yeah, they seem to be giving FamilyTalk users unlimited minutes, though that still need some confirmation. I wish the gave unlimited text instead since that's a $20 or $30 option...

4. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

I just clicked on twitter... and just saw the feed. I still haven't seen a hard throttle for months even after 5GB. I average 30 to 40GB in a cycle... the only bad thing is I'll get my warning message mid-cycle instead of the 2nd day... LOL.:p

5. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Well, now I regret giving up my unlimited data.

6. ok3wire macrumors member

If AT&T were to buck the trend by doing things like actually making it easier for their customers to access unlimited data plans and continuing to offer iPhone subsidies while their major competitors like Verizon run headlong in the opposite direction, it could be a real point of differentiation for them.

7. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

Well for a bit they only throttled on congested towers. But yea, wish we had some allowance for teathering.

8. twittervanitybonet macrumors member

twittervanitybonet

I almost did til I saw this post lol

9. Wise87 macrumors 6502

10. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

Yah... I should have mentioned I haven't seen a hard throttle "after the initial throttling policy change". I probably won't even notice the new policy change... except a modified text that I may experience a slow down after 22gb. It would be nice to have tethering... but I own a mifi device by Verizon... which I cancelled my service today. I rarely use it ever since I bought the 6+. I don't use laptops anymore, and I hardly take my iPad with me when I go out. I could always activate my Verizon mifi for a month if I want for vacations or conferences... but technically, I can tether my iPhone since I'm jailbroken.

11. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info! I am now officially glad that AT&T reps repeatedly told me to NOT change from unlimited to mobile share!

12. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

So that's how you use that much data. I've always thought about doing that but back in the day I was put off about loosing it if caught. I have a tmobile Mifi that I use if needed but I'm hoping the 6s plus will help.

13. AppleKash macrumors 6502

This is awesome! I am so glad that through all the years I have managed to keep my unlimited data plan.. It once again means something!!

14. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Very nice that they increased the ceiling to 4X.

15. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

This is why it's important to hold on to unlimited data plans, mobile industry and apps would keep on getting revolutionized and the the usage of mobile data would increase over time.

16. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I was kind of thinking that too (switched last October) but tethering included on 3 lines at no extra charge is worth it in my opinion. Plus they have data rollover which increases my monthly data allowance. (I'm on the 30GB plan)

17. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

Sorry... it's late so I guess posts are vague... LOL... I technically can tether since I'm jailbroken, but I chose not to. If I need it, I'll just activate my Mifi for a month.

I use that much data because I am enjoying my phone. I'm always streaming something at work... I stream music in my car, at work, while running or biking. When I take out my wife on date nights, we just sit in my car by the bay looking at the San Diego downtown skyline streaming rented movies through my 6+ connected to my dash screen panel via HDMI. When she goes shopping... I'll make her happy by driving her to mall... and stream live sports while shopping with her. It's nice being able to use my data... and not have to monitor how much I use.... and not worrying about getting throttled.

18. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Ha, I'm on the same plan (the double Dara plan promotion they had last year). I don't really use tethering though, but I do use FaceTime which was blocked on the unlimited plan. I also have my iPad and Note on the same line with my iphone, but I do get close to my limit every month and have to kinda start watching my usage the last couple of days on my billing cycle.

19. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

It's been a while since they allowed FaceTime over cellular. I've been using FaceTime over cellular on my UDP since the iPhone 5.

20. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

Will NEVER get rid of my unlimited data plan.

I commute at around 10+ hours a week and use waze and music streaming apps the whole time.

21. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Same here. Many times was tempted to give up the UDP but held on and glad I did. I can do FaceTime without worry now, even in the field with customers.

22. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

Call and ask if that fee can be reduced for you. I was on the phone with AT&T about an unrelated matter, when at the conclusion the rep said she reviewed my account and that she could reduce my unlimited text to $10/mo. This is in conjunction with my unlimited data plan. It never hurts to ask.

I'm wondering with this new policy if they might allow tethering. I'd even be willing to pay a nominal fee.

23. soupsoupsoup macrumors member

soupsoupsoup

Well this is good news for all of us with stubborn persistence holding onto those unlimited plans. :)

24. hushmartin macrumors 6502

Well ****. I just bailed AT&T for Verizon and a family plan with the BF. Either att just sucks in my area, or they were throttling me ALL the time. I could never get decent speeds. I don't know if it's typical, but I'm getting around 16mbps d/l now on Verizon and was getting barely 2 on AT&T. And no, I never ever went over their 5gb cap. Actually, I'm still probably better off-- we're planning to move to an area with way worse att coverage than here.

25. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Awesome. Glad I didn't switch plans. Almost did with the double data plans last year