Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Ha, I'm on the same plan (the double Dara plan promotion they had last year). I don't really use tethering though, but I do use FaceTime which was blocked on the unlimited plan. I also have my iPad and Note on the same line with my iphone, but I do get close to my limit every month and have to kinda start watching my usage the last couple of days on my billing cycle.
Huh. For me, FaceTime has never been blocked on my Unlimited plan.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
Great, I wouldn't be shocked if they forced customers to change plans now with upgrades, now all they have to do is enable tethering for unlimited users, I don't mind paying for it eithe

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I thought it was odd enough that AT&T never tried to entice me off either my Unlimited data plan or 2-year contract, when I was going through the pre-order process. I thought it was very cool, but wondered when the rug was going to be pulled out from under me.

And now, here we are with AT&T upping the Unlimited throttle very significantly. Apparently they still love us?

What's next?

tecnho

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
Glad to see this is helping other people out. Personally, I never thought of switching off my grandfathered ULD plan, even when the throttling policy was more restrictive.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Interesting -- this is a good development.

I've been a AT&T UDP guy for 7 years and I still am, at least for a few more weeks. I just decided to switch over to T-Mobile and I'm waiting on my 6s+ to arrive. When it does, my plan is to port over my AT&T number and cancel service with AT&T.

For years, I've been saying that I will never give up my UDP. However, after thoroughly crunching the numbers from every angle, I've concluded that it just isn't worth it for our (my wife and me's) particular case. By switching over to T-Mobile, we each get 10 GB of high-speed data a month and music streaming is always free. I can also freely tether as much of that 10 GB as I want, for free. I've never used more than 5 GB in a month and my average is 2-3 GB a month. I'm fully aware that data usage will continue to grow over time.

After running the math and carefully considering every single variable, I am saving $31.50 a month by giving up my AT&T UDP and going with T-Mobile. That comes out to a savings of $378 a year! And when you add up that savings year after year, the savings are huge.

Sure, signal coverage is an unknown until I actually get out there and try it out, but T-Mobile has made tremendous advancements over the last year and continues to do so. I suspect that the coverage differences will be somewhat minimal for the region I'm in.

So, even though I've been a UDP customer for years, I finally did the math and it just doesn't make sense to keep a death grip on something that is actually significantly more expensive in the end. I am super stoked though to see that AT&T is changing their policy. It's great for existing UDP customers and it's the right thing to do.

Reactions: bronzi

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Maybe you don't remember? For a while FaceTime was WiFi only. Then when they started allowing cellular access they started with the people on tiered data plans, and us unlimited customers got it last. I don't think it was too long of a wait though. Personally I used a Cydia app to get it early, My3G I think.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Well, now I regret giving up my unlimited data.

I thought about it... But then I like the simplicity of the Next program and I doubled the data from 10GB to 20GB on my family plan of 3, with free spot & roll over data. I'm good where I'm at.

But congrats to those who are on unlimited contracts!

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Wow! I almost buckled when AT&T doubled their shared data plans (15GB to 30GB) last year but decided to hold on. Thank god! Now I get 22GB of data for only $80 a month ($66 if you count my work discount).

Reactions: phillytim

ftlum

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
It's really a shock to see this considering how badly they want people to get off these unlimited data plans.

I guess T-Mobile has really put some pressure on them. Without the 22gb increase, it was basically like having a 5gb shared data plan, which was starting to become a problem for me and my family. I was seriously looking at leaving AT&T this year, but there wasn't any real financial benefit for me.

I'm less inclined to leave AT&T now, but I sure would like to see a tethering option.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
This is great--thanks for the info OP. I never thought AT&T would have budged on their original 5GB hard throttle, then I was shocked to see the hard throttle become a soft limit only on congested towers--and now even that soft limit has increased to 22GB.

The larger public is unaware of this, and I bet a ton of people gave up their unlimited plans when ordering an iPhone 6s/+

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
It's really a shock to see this considering how badly they want people to get off these unlimited data plans.

I guess T-Mobile has really put some pressure on them. Without the 22gb increase, it was basically like having a 5gb shared data plan, which was starting to become a problem for me and my family. I was seriously looking at leaving AT&T this year, but there wasn't any real financial benefit for me.

I'm less inclined to leave AT&T now, but I sure would like to see a tethering option.
Even T-Mobile throttles after 21GB! Way to one up T-Mo. I'm 21.7GB for the month on T-Mo and have yet to see any slow downs.

iVegas

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2013
Excellent news!! Was probably going to switch to T-Mobile in the next few months and now I don't have to. I'm super excited for my 6s plus to arrive now!

Reactions: applegeek97

AYNOM

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
Changed from my unlimited data plan to Mobile share several months ago, this news doesn't leave me regretting anything. Used to be a power user, always on my phone, now it's strictly business and I have access to wifi in places where I use my phone most.

I'll just have to whine to AT&T when my now lower data usage needs more than the $100 they are charging me for 20 GB and I'll demand 40 lol.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
man Im so glad they finally did that. I still had to leave them this gen: They won't let me change my plan in any way without giving it up (family plan vs individual, etc).

Will they support wifi calling and tethering as well? Always a great mystery to me why they jerked around their #1 customers.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
22GB? Nice!

I wonder how many years until 20GB becomes an issue for the average user?

Glad I stayed with ATT and held onto my UDP.
HappyDance1.gif

Reactions: TITNTUFF

CoriG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
So thrilled that I decided to keep my UDP. But is anyone concerned that nothing has been posted on macrumors?!?

Reactions: TypeMRT

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Well, it looks like they enabled FaceTime on the unlimited plan during the summer of 2013, it was blocked to unlimited data plan users before then, I remember being frustrated by this, but I guess I never noticed when they finally enabled it since I was using an android phone on my unlimited while my iphone was on a 3gb plan.

Reactions: dave420

marddin

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
Well, now I regret giving up my unlimited data.
I'm pretty upset about this. After many years of upgrading to new iPhone every year, I gave up unlimited to move to Next because I was done paying early upgrade fees and doing upgrade swaps etc. We never went over 22GB but was well over 5GB.

I honestly can't believe this. They conveniently do it after the iPhone pre order...

Reactions: Jstuts5797

yozh

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2008
Awesome. Glad I didn't switch plans. Almost did with the double data plans last year

Yep same here, was so close to switching, but just couldnt come to terms with even a slight chance of overage.... I`m on 700min Unlimited text($20) and Unlimited data plan, with like 10k Rollover minutes..... So glad this day came ! If they allowed at least some Hot Spot usage that would help, like give us 1gig a month or something. But hey I`ll take my 22GB at Up to 300 Mbps on Band 30 :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.