Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
FAN Discount?

Does anyone know if how FAN discounts are applied to these new Shared Data plans?

twosee

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2012
USA
Makes no sense unless you are a heavy minute user. I currently have 2 iPhones on my plan (700 min, $70), 3GB each @ $30 a piece. Add unlimited family text for $15 so I pay $145. to go to the shared 6GB, i would go up to $160. Am i missing something? It seems they are increasing my rate for the same usage.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Every share plan from every provider is whack. I can't believe they think these rates are acceptable. $40 for a single gig? Sharing that would be gone in two days.

$.02

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
These plans are still just a rip-off.

The AT&T and Verizons know their time is limited...with everything going over to data and as WiFi becomes more prevalent in more locations, the need to be on a data plan/talk plan is slowly dying out...hence these all-in-one plans.

If you are at work and home the majority of your day, the $$$ you are paying to have 3G/4G in your car/bus/metro trip home and those other times is just a complete waste of money...and they know it.

I wish Apple would take some of that money and just snatch up a spectrum.

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
Are you ever going to have the iPad without your phone nearby. Why pay a $10 premium if the original plan includes a wifi hotspot?

Seems like $10 being thrown away each month

That's a fair point. I'd have to read up on how long it takes to connect and what the impact on battery life is.
I'll say, though, that I'd be using it many times a day in different locations with different clients, and if it meant futzing with the tethering process for a minute each time, I'd rather have built in 3G.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Makes no sense unless you are a heavy minute user. I currently have 2 iPhones on my plan (700 min, $70), 3GB each @ $30 a piece. Add unlimited family text for $15 so I pay $145. to go to the shared 6GB, i would go up to $160. Am i missing something? It seems they are increasing my rate for the same usage.

True. The extra $15 goes into the ability to use those 6GB with other devices.... Hefty increase

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Errr, am I adding this right?

My wife & I are on a shared minutes plan (550) @ $42.50 (plus $9.99 for her line). Add her data $15 plus my data $30, plus both our 200 messages plan $10, (plus her ~$5 overage per month on texts) and we get a total of $112.49 + taxes.

If we switched to the smallest workable share plan, we'd go to the 4GB shared plan @ $70 + $40 per phone (so, $80), for a total of $150 + taxes? So to switch, we'd pay $37.51+tax more?

Wow, killer deal. Pass.

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
So glad I have my JB iPad

17GB+ (16.5GB down, 0.5GB up) of usage so far this month (14 days remaining - 36GB if this continues), glad its only costing me $30/mo for my device and $30/mo on my wifes (what she does not use on her plan, I more than make up on mine). Pretty sure as soon as LTE gets into my area, I will end up using even more a month. For those of you subsidizing my UL data - thanks! Outside of my wife's emergency cell phone ($100/yr T-Mobile PAYGo), we do not utilize them. Google Voice with Talkatone/GV Connect, facetime, and e-mail cover all of our communications needs - UL Data, UL VOiP, UL Texting. Plus we do not get all those FCC, misc. taxes and charges. We do pay in other ways though, each year we've been upgrading our iPad's and passing down the others to our kids and other family members.

Last edited:

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Remember when the iPhone came out? $30 a month for unlimited data & 200 texts; no overlapping & confusing plans, no need for quadratic equations … then Google came along and sold us out.
Actually it was $20 per month for unlimited data on the very first iPhone. However, the price of the phone was not subsidized by AT&T. Also, shortly after they lowered the price quite a bit and gave everyone a $100 store credit if my memory serves me correctly. Later they subsidized the initial cost and also increased the cost of unlimited data. I think this was the time of the 3G Phone.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
These plans are a sham. As long as they don't go strictly to these plans I'm okay. However, if they kill the old plans in favor of these, then they obviously think America is stupid.

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007

How did you get unlimited family text for $15? Last I checked (and what is on my bill) is $30 for unlimited family text.

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
Its time for a big Apple move...

As much as I'd love to see Apple become their own ISP and cable provider, I am living without cable just fine. What we need is Apple to be their own cell phone provider! Instead of the cell providers subsidizing the costs, sign us up on a two year contract and let us pay for the phone in monthly installments, along with our bill. Instead of paying for ATT to make a profit, Apple could use their own cell service as another draw to the iPhone. More of a customer service thing than a profit thing. Apple could continue to make obscene profits off their iPhones, and we can kick these cell providers and their data allotments to the curb!

carlemil

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
In Denmark you get 3 sims with your phone plan, which you can use on whichever devices you have. For free. So my 15gig plan is shared between my iPhone, iPad and my old iPad. No surcharges and way cheaper. I can't really fathom the price and quality of the us carriers.

xpla

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
Austria: 30Mbit Down / 5Mbit Up | Unlimited (no Fair-Use, Unlimited) | 30$ ... Well, very heavy price tags over there in the USA.

Oh and yes, speeds are realistic.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
These plans are a sham. As long as they don't go strictly to these plans I'm okay. However, if they kill the old plans in favor of these, then they obviously think America is stupid.

Agreed. America has the most over-priced plans compared to everything else.

Please please please T-Mobile...get the iPhone.

brianbunge

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Kennesaw, GA
Errr, am I adding this right?

My wife & I are on a shared minutes plan (550) @ $42.50 (plus $9.99 for her line). Add her data $15 plus my data $30, plus both our 200 messages plan $10, (plus her ~$5 overage per month on texts) and we get a total of $112.49 + taxes.

If we switched to the smallest workable share plan, we'd go to the 4GB shared plan @ $70 + $40 per phone (so, $80), for a total of $150 + taxes? So to switch, we'd pay $37.51+tax more?

Wow, killer deal. Pass.

For some of us it is a killer deal (5 iphones, 2 with tethering); for others it's not. If not, move along....

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
It's this type of price gauging that makes people want to jailbreak a phone and use MyWi tethering.

jsvanaulen

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
I wonder who at AT&T did the math on this one:

6GB with 5 smartphone lines: 90+35*5=$265
10GB with 5 smartphone lines: 120+30*5=$270

I was about to post something similar. It costs exactly the same, $270, to have 5 phones share 4GB as to have 5 phones share 10GB.

Edit: It also costs $265 for 5 phones to share 1GB

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
How is this Google's fault? It seems to me that unlimited went away at AT&T after their network became saturated with iPhones and at Verizon when the iPhone showed up. If anything the popularity of the iPhone is what sold us out.

It's funny how everything is Google's fault even if they have nothing to do with it. lol

Google started out with great intentions and the Nexus program was taking Apple’s policy even further. They really wanted to take even more power from the carriers, sadly it failed miserably. Carriers didn’t promote it (in part because it was designed to take control from them) and in part because it wasn’t a competitive phone. Android in general was failing – then Verizon commissioned the phone that became Droid (most phones are specced out/designed by the carriers not the OEMs) they also had a brilliant marketing campaign. AT&T now had leverage because Verizon had a legitimate option, Google then gutted the Nexus program and it just became a reference design. I finally gave up when Google reneged on their promise to support net-neutrality over cellular networks (effectively allowing carriers to add sur-charges for things like FaceTime) and did so in a really lame way.

Put in a more simple way, Apple’s customer is the end user. Google’s customer is the carrier.

----------

Actually it was $20 per month for unlimited data on the very first iPhone. However, the price of the phone was not subsidized by AT&T. Also, shortly after they lowered the price quite a bit and gave everyone a $100 store credit if my memory serves me correctly. Later they subsidized the initial cost and also increased the cost of unlimited data. I think this was the time of the 3G Phone.

You are correct, it was $20. The upgrade to $30 was ostensibly because it was upgrading the phone to 3G data which is actually sort of legitimate.

surma884

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
There is zero competition in the US market. Sprint has to be the underdog. Sprint has started rolling out LTE. As soon as my city gets it, I'm jumping ship. And Sprint will need to keep their unlimited data plan for many years to get customers from AT&T and Verizon.

BornToMac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Am I missing something? I am on AT&T and my iPhone doesn't have tethering. Don't you have to pay 15 a month for it?

PS, F AT&T. Let me use my iPad as a wireless hotspot already without making me give up my unlimited plan or charging me an arm and a leg.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.