ATT ready for MMS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thisisarcadia, Jul 1, 2009.

1. thisisarcadia macrumors 6502

I went into an ATT store today to ask about why i was unable to recieve voicemails anymore and the conversation came up about mms and what the manager told me was that ATT is 100% ready and has been ready for mms for some time but are just waiting to flip the switch. Why would they wait if they were ready!

2. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

iPhone OS 3.1

3. sal macrumors 6502

at first I figured they would slowly roll it out to customers.

4. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

There will be no slow rollout, it will go live the day that Apple releases iPhone OS 3.1. That will have the official carrier update which will allow it all to work.

5. trssho macrumors 6502

AT&T customer service is a joke. I have never talked to a less informed crew. That guy has no idea what he was talking about. And neither does the guy in the post yesterday. Clueless, all of them!

6. trssho macrumors 6502

Carrier updates can be done through iTunes very easily. AT&T is just saving bandwidth expense as long as it can.

7. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

That shouldnt make a difference. It is Apples job to make sure it is compatible with AT&T's MMS. AT&T just sucks!

T-Mobile may not be the biggest but their customer service is A-1.

8. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

How do you know this?

9. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I think because 3.1 beta brought MMS to the table. It doesn't work yet, of course, because ATT hasn't flipped the switch but the OS is now "ready".

10. bamafever09 macrumors regular

bamafever09

he doesnt, for all we know it could be tomrrow

11. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

How would a "slow rollout" even work? Apple enables MMS on all of our iPhones through a carrier update and then everyday and group of people get a text saying "MMS is active now!". It makes much more sense for AT&T to activate everyone the same day that Apple releases the carrier update, that way when the little picture icon shows up in your messages you can just click it and go. Apple would never release a feature that is unusable, while it would really just make AT&T look bad, it would be tacky ... and that's not the way Apple does things.

With the revelation that 3.1 will have MMS set up standard in 3.1 it would appear that it's ready to happen soon.

12. Agent 21 macrumors regular

Didn't 3.0 "bring MMS to the table"? That's what every single article on 3.0 and the 3GS said before both of their releases. Yeah, AT&T still doesn't support it, but I was under the assumption that 3.0 brought MMS ability.

13. bradenwh macrumors 6502

Yes, but the camera icon in Messages etc. were not present. The OS is MMS capable, but not ready due to AT&T. AT&T is probably ready. They're just waiting for 3.1 to give the carrier update. The 3.1 beta has MMS enabled on the OS already, so all we need is the official carrier update from AT&T.

14. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Still shouldnt matter.

AT&T is just dragging their ass. I have MMS working properly on my phone and i have T-Mobile and yes it is jailbroken but the point is it works on Apple's 3.0 software so this is AT&T's mistake of holding their customers at bay and pissing them off.

15. keenan wolf macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

if ATT is ready, then why dont they just send out the update so we can use it now? if they released it now, they could turn it into a positive because they released it early. haha. seriously though...

16. thelordnyax macrumors regular

Yeah...mostly...though some of them are very nice people

17. jwflutterby macrumors regular

MMS missing is all AT&T... I had the MMS option in one of the early 3.0 beta's but it did not work because AT&T had it disabled on my account... Now that I have 3.1 beta I have the MMS option again but once again it does not work because of AT&T... :rolleyes:

18. brian4610 macrumors regular

I have zero faith in AT&T, however i do believe that 3.1 might finally bring MMS....why else would the icon be there?

I'm disappointed in AT&T, but it's par for the course to be honest. I'm really surprised that Apple hasn't been more visible on this issue. Hold their feet to the fire a bit more...I'm sure it's a business decision, but i'd love to see what some of the conference calls have been like after Apple realized that AT&T dropped the ball...Also, when apple saw that AT&T was going to veto Slingbox from going on their 3G network....30% of $30 certainly adds up, and i think that there would be a ton more downloads (i'm one)...I can't imagine how pissed they are at how crappy this network is...they should have done more homework.

19. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

No, it didn't. Unless you installed a hacked carrier file, MMS most certainly is not on AT&T's network's iPhones. In 3.1, MMS is enabled in the software, ready for it to be turned on in the network.

Which I now see bradenwh answered.

20. Elementkng20 macrumors member

I have MMS on my iPhone running 3.1 beta. I changed my account from an iPhone texting plan to regular messaging plan.

21. StarDal macrumors newbie

I successfully got 80% of my friends to switch to the iPhone. However, unless we all unlock MMS with the various techniques out there, it really doesn't do me much good until AT&T throws the switch. Isn't MMS already working on 3.0 on non-AT&T networks? It's not Apple, it's AT&T.

22. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

There are a huge amount of iphones out there and they send decent quality pics. Thats why AT&T is slow with this, it will kill their network.

I heard July17th though...

23. keenan wolf macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

where did you hear that?

24. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

A few places. Google MMS iphone july 17th. Some people are saying thats when 3.1 is coming as well as MMS. Again, a rumor but could be very possible.

25. newyorksole macrumors 68020

When they say late summer, they mean LATE summer.

Don't expect MMS until September. Seriously.