Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AT&T launched a new unlimited data plan less than two weeks ago, but with more competitive options available from Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint, it went back to the drawing board and came up with something better.

ATT-new-2016-logo.jpg

Starting Thursday, new and existing AT&T customers can choose from two new plans: Unlimited Plus and Unlimited Choice.

Unlimited Plus starts at $90 per month for a single line and includes unlimited talk, text, and data at up to 4G LTE speeds. Video can be streamed in HD quality, but Stream Saver mode, which reduces streaming video to around 480p quality, is enabled by default and must be turned off through myAT&T.

AT&T Unlimited Plus includes up to 10GB of 4G LTE tethering per line per month, with speeds reduced to a max 128 Kbps for the rest of the bill cycle for eligible devices once the high-speed allotment is exceeded.

Two smartphone lines starts at $145 per month, while up to eight additional devices, such as tablets and hotspots, can be added for $20 per month each. The pricing includes monthly access charges, but it is not inclusive of taxes or additional fees. AutoPay and paperless billing are required.

For a limited time, AT&T Unlimited Plus customers can receive a $25 bill credit towards DirecTV, DirecTV NOW, or AT&T U-verse each month. The bill credits begin in 2-3 billing periods. The total monthly cost for AT&T Unlimited Plus with DirecTV NOW, for example, would start at $100 per month after discounts.

Meanwhile, AT&T Unlimited Choice starts at $60 per month for a single line, and includes unlimited talk, text, and data at up to 3 Mpbs speeds, but with no tethering included. Video streams at a max of 1.5 Mbps, aka about 480p. No discount is offered for bundling DirecTV, DirecTV NOW, or U-verse.

Two smartphone lines starts at $115 per month, while up to eight additional devices, such as tablets and hotspots, can be added for $20 per month each. The pricing includes monthly access charges, but it is not inclusive of taxes or additional fees. AutoPay and paperless billing are required.

For both plans, each line that exceeds 22GB of data usage may experience reduced speeds on that line for the remainder of the billing cycle, but only at times and in areas where there is network congestion, which is similar to 22GB, 23GB, and 28GB soft cap policies from Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile respectively.

Additionally, AT&T said both plans allow individuals and businesses to make unlimited calls from the U.S. to Canada and Mexico, and send unlimited texts to over 120 countries. AT&T customers on these plans can also use their plan to talk, text, and use data in Canada and Mexico with no roaming charges.

Video references AT&T's earlier unlimited data plan

AT&T's earlier unlimited data plan started at $100 per month and did not include any tethering, so its new plans offer better value. Meanwhile, Verizon Unlimited starts at $80 per month, Sprint Unlimited starts at $50 per month for a limited time, and T-Mobile ONE starts at $70 per month, inclusive of taxes and fees.

Article Link: AT&T Announces New Unlimited Data Plan With 10GB of Tethering and $25 Off DirecTV

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Rally should have probably just gotten the more decent version figured out and out to the public without some unnecessary and worse intermediary.

Reactions: Ladyc0524

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
"Meanwhile, AT&T Unlimited Choice is a new cheaper option starting at $60 per month for a single line, and includes unlimited talk, text, and data at up to 3 Mbps speeds."

Is 3mbps a typo?

Also for the unlimited plan plus is 10gbs for tethering separate from standard mobile let data which speeds drops after 22gbs?

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

ds2000

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2012
Every time these american data plans are presented i laugh:) look up at the skylines if you wonder where your money is going.
Unlimited 4g everything is about 17$ here

Same here, I pay $22 /month on a UK contract, I'm working in the Netherlands and being charged not a penny more for my calls and data :)

My plan also works all over the US

These prices are crazy. more crazy people pay it!

Reactions: Aston441

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
I'm actually paying a lot more than this for 3 lines.

If this is what it seems I'm dropping my grandfathered plans asap.
IMG_1630.jpg

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
As a 10 year customer of AT&T, we just switched to T-Mobile last week. We're saving so much money and the service has been the same. Peace out AT&T!

We're $40 less a month than AT&T's new plans and there were no activation fees. What a joke!

Last edited:

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
Why would anyone go with the choice package at 3mbps when there's other services like this?

Even includes high speed hotspot data.

There's even a $50 option with no hotspot.
IMG_1631.jpg

Reactions: spinnyd

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Are these network deals really worthy of front page stories? I appreciate there will be interest from people who use these forums, but wouldn't the More MR Stories section be a more appropriate place? I know there's always the "you don't have to read it if you're not interested" comeback, but this doesn't really seem it should be primary news for an internationally-focussed Apple-specific website.

Reactions: Thunderhawks
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.