Attn Virginians: $50 iBooks!!!!!!!

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
Henrico County Public Schools is selling 1000 iBooks for $50 each. Limit one per person. If anyone wants to bring a friend and pick me up one, I'd pay shipping :). Please!!!!

Here is the school website: http://www.henrico.k12.va.us/

If you click on the iBook sale picture, you get:

Laptops on sale for $50 each

A unique opportunity is available from Henrico County Public Schools. Used Apple iBook laptop computers will be on sale for $50 each, with a one-per-person limit. The one-day sale will be held Tuesday, Aug. 9 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

One thousand laptops will be sold at the school warehouse — 361 Dabbs House Road beside the Eastern Government Center — on a first-come, first-serve basis. Only cash or checks will be accepted.

The white, Power PC 750s with 12-inch screens have 320 megabytes of memory, Mac OS 10.2.8, and AppleWorks 6.2.9.

From Interstate 64, take exit 193B. Travel east on Nine Mile Road and turn left at the second stoplight on Dabbs House Road. The warehouse is on the right.

For more information contact Mychael Dickerson, director of media relations and safety for Henrico County Public Schools, at mddickerson@henrico.k12.va.us or 804-652-3724.
The specs are:

iBook (white) - Power PC 750
CPU Speed - 500MHz
Memory - 320MB
Screen - 12.1 inch
AC Charger
Wireless Card
Operating System 10.2.8
Basic standard applications installed with the OS Applerworks - Version 6.2.9

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Plane ticket to USA + $50 iBook would almost be cheaper than getting a second-hand one here! :eek:

... but I'm not that crazy :p

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
although I won't be able to go, that's pretty sweet!

You could get one, then sell it on ebay for a lot more..

wow!

bump for you! :)

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
stoid said:
Ditto on that. I live in St. Louis, but would be willing to pay someone back + $25 for your help + any shipping costs. ($75 +shipping).
Whoa there :)! Get behind the thread poster. All gratitute goes to him first :D .

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
katie ta achoo said:
although I won't be able to go, that's pretty sweet!

You could get one, then sell it on ebay for a lot more..
Unfortunately, I'm sure there will be a lot of that going on.

I'm just thinking how awesome this would be for my kids. $50 (plus probably some upgrades) and they'd have a pretty durable laptop they could use. I'm sure I'll never see another deal like this.

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
wwooden said:
damn, the school is going to make $50,000 dollars out of this deal. Not bad for them either.
Wow, when you think about it that way, if they raised the price $25 (which would still be totally reasonable), they'd make another $25k.

I wonder if there is some sort depreciated cost they have to sell it at. Working at a state university, there are lots of wierd things that go on when you try and get rid of old equipment.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Of course this could mean that they are upgrading to Dells or something. But, that really does not bother me. Wish that I could be there so I could purchase one (possibly for my parents or plane trips).

Wonder about the schools in Washington State, better start checking out their computer sales.

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
joepunk said:
Of course this could mean that they are upgrading to Dells or something. But, that really does not bother me. Wish that I could be there so I could purchase one (possibly for my parents or plane trips).

Wonder about the schools in Washington State, better start checking out their computer sales.
I think they're upgrading to newer iBooks.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
tsk said:
I think they're upgrading to newer iBooks.
Really?

4/29/2005
HCPS Welcomes Dell to the Technology Initiative

CORRECTION: Maintenance issues did not result in 10 to 15 percent of students not having their iBooks, as was previously reported. Henrico Schools apologizes for the error. “It is important to note that Apple has been a great partner during the last four years,” said Superintendent Fred S. Morton IV. “Our maintenance rates have declined significantly. However, at any given time, we were still having 4 to 5 percent of computers needing some type of repair. Apple’s repair efforts were resulting in more than a 96 percent repair rate within a 24-hour time frame. While we applauded this effort, we were still concerned about the amount of instructional down time. This is why loaners were one of the major areas of interest in our planning for the future.”

For the past four years, Henrico County high school students, teachers and all staff have been utilizing Apple iBooks under the system’s one-to-one laptop program. The lease agreement for those iBooks is up this year and the Henrico School Board decided to accept a contract from Dell Inc. for the next four years.

The five-member board voted unanimously to accept Dell’s contract at the April 28 meeting. In order to understand why Superintendent Fred S. Morton IV and a nine-member committee recommended Dell’s contract, Morton explained the process undertaken to solicit proposals.

Input was received from hundreds of teachers, students, staff, parents and community members about the challenges with the current laptop program. Some of the comments included maintenance issues, the required fees for students and teachers, and the desire for Microsoft Office.

A nine-member evaluation committee made up of teachers, principals and administrators studied the three RFPs and unanimously voted to recommend Dell’s proposal. “I think it says a lot that the committee’s recommendation was 9-0 and the board’s vote was 5-0,” Morton said. “Unanimous decisions are pretty unusual.” Morton was a non-voting member of the committee.

Dell’s proposal includes 15,800 laptops for $17.8 million during the next four years. The per-unit price for the laptops is $1,130. Apple’s proposal was $1,386 per iBook.

Morton said price was not the only reason behind his and the committee’s recommendation. “It was a number of variables, not one single thing.” But, he added that Apple’s proposal was about $4 million more than Dell’s.

Both Apple and Dell’s proposals contained a promise to provide 2 percent of the total number of computers to use as loaner laptops. To ensure that students have access to the technology every day, Dell said it would increase that promise to 5 percent if necessary.

As for software, Morton said everyone he talked to at every level wanted Microsoft Office. The iBooks utilize AppleWorks. “Office will be on every machine,” Morton said.

Freeman High School Principal Dr. Ed Pruden, who was on the evaluation committee, said the switch from AppleWorks to Office will be the biggest concern for teachers. “We have a commitment from Dell to make that transition smooth,” Pruden said.

Other than price, loaners and software, fees were another issue for the new contract. The $50 teacher fee and $100 student deductible for damage were eliminated, although the $50 student fee will remain.

Lloyd Brown, director of technology for Henrico schools, explained the features of the new Dell Inspiron 600M laptop. The screen is 14 inches compared to the iBook’s 12-inch screen. It has two USB ports and a track pad for moving the mouse. The Dells will utilize a Windows XP operating system.

Brown also addressed the question of security —*how to prevent students from accessing inappropriate web sites. First of all, he said, “The type of laptop does not have anything to do with security — it’s your filters. Therefore, security will be a challenge with any product.”

He said the school division would continue to maintain the most up-to-date filters and security measures.

After laying out the details, Morton assured those who attended the board meeting and the subsequent news conference that the transition from Apple to Dell at the high school level would be smooth. “We’re going to be thoughtful about this. This is not a race that has to be completed by Sept. 1, this is a journey. We want teachers to tell us where to start this transition and we want to make it safe for teachers to tell us about any problems.”

Both Pruden and Tucker High School social studies teacher Meredyth Hoggatt, who was also on the evaluation committee, agreed that they were not starting over. “This is not going to be a do-over,” Hoggatt said. “It’s going to be a transition. Most of my students use a windows platform at home anyway.”

Students and staff in elementary and middle school will continue to utilize Apple products including the iBooks. “We have a great relationship with Apple,” Morton said. “It will be a challenge to work with both Apple and Dell, but Henrico schools has one of the best technology staffs in the country.”

Morton said the process leading up to the selection of Dell was “the most challenging thing I’ve done in my career.”
I edited out some paragraphs and deleted extra spaces between words.

Man In Black

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2005
California
OH MY GOD!!!!! I MUST have one of those!! Anyone! Please!! AHH!!! Theres gotta be some people from Virginia! Oh man oh man oh man ive never wished to live somewhere else than california so bad, ohmigod i need one of those so bad oh....man......*sobs*

ichoosedeath

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2004
Buffalo, NY
Man In Black said:
OH MY GOD!!!!! I MUST have one of those!! Anyone! Please!! AHH!!! Theres gotta be some people from Virginia! Oh man oh man oh man ive never wished to live somewhere else than california so bad, ohmigod i need one of those so bad oh....man......*sobs*

I appreciate your sentiment. I live in Buffalo. And I'm thinking.. 10 1/2 hour drive one way for a $50 iBook... Hmmmmm Could be worth it.. Gotta car pool!

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
I also like it when they said that the "new" Dell's have a 14 inch screen compared to the iBooks 12. And it has 2 USB ports (Didn't those and all current iBooks have 2 as-well) and, get this, a track-pad (Wow! what a great idea, wish the iBooks had that as well. Wait, they do). :rolleyes:

Still, it is a steal for tempted purchasers for the retired iBooks

Man In Black

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2005
California
I read this June 17th news report"

Henrico County, which recently decided to switch its high school students and teachers to Dell laptops rather than renew its contract with Apple, has said that departing seniors will get first dibs on the iBooks that were in use for the past four years. As reported by Olympia Meola of the Richmond Times-Dispatch, the county is planning to purchase approximately 22,000 iBooks for US$1 each at the end of the lease this summer, rather than return them to Apple. Once the county has taken care of its middle school students, who are still under a separate contract to use Apple laptops, it will offer the machines to this year's seniors for $50 each.

"I hope they found them to be good pieces of equipment, and they are going to get some good use out of them going forward," Dave Myers, assistant superintendent for finance, told Ms. Meola.

After the seniors have had their chance to buy them, any iBooks left over will go on sale to the general public sometime this summer. According to Ms. Meola's article, almost a third of the graduating class at one high school was interested in purchasing the computers.