Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
I'm new to ATV3. So far I have no issues.

I do have Amazon Prime for some time now and for what its worth I have seen network disconnects a few times while watching movies or TV shows.

Amazon prime video on Apple TV????

Penquin79

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2011
For what it is worth.

My brother owns a very high end audio / visual business, does whole house set ups and home theaters for those that can afford to spend $30,000 and up. He has told me his biggest headache is with routers, that once more than three devises are connected to your standard home router they start to get erratic. So aside from buying a business class router the best thing to do is to manually assign IP addresses on the devise and the router.

I have done that with three ATV's, (one hard wired), two iPhones, two iPads, two Mac mini and an iTouch. Ten devises total that are connected when we are both home. Ever since I did that the only Home Share issues have been following power outages. And then all I need to reset is Home sharing on the Mac.

May not solve everyone's issues but works for us, worth a shot, love our ATV's.

koerk

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2013
Count me in...

I did contacT Apple care Germany a while ago and they don't have clue what the problem is either. Thought it was my ****** isp dsl modem but after reading this thread I get the feeling that I'm not alone. Do you guys encounter the same issues when airplaying from your Macs instead of using home sharing?

Do you also find airplay connections from iOS to be stable and flawless?

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Count me in...

I did contacT Apple care Germany a while ago and they don't have clue what the problem is either. Thought it was my ****** isp dsl modem but after reading this thread I get the feeling that I'm not alone. Do you guys encounter the same issues when airplaying from your Macs instead of using home sharing?

Do you also find airplay connections from iOS to be stable and flawless?

Tons of issues regardless of device.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Hm. Guessing I shouldn't buy an Apple TV at the moment, then...?!

Mine works fine 95% of the time through home sharing, however the remaining 5% it drives me up the wall having to run up two flights of stairs to restart iTunes on my iMac. All devices are wired via gigabit ethernet so shouldn't be a problem. So frustrating as it used to work flawlessly.

It will be fixed, but when is anyone's guess.

The idea of writing a script to restart iTunes every 12 hours seems like a good idea!

RhythmAndBlues

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2015
Mine works fine 95% of the time through home sharing, however the remaining 5% it drives me up the wall having to run up two flights of stairs to restart iTunes on my iMac. All devices are wired via gigabit ethernet so shouldn't be a problem. So frustrating as it used to work flawlessly.

It will be fixed, but when is anyone's guess.

The idea of writing a script to restart iTunes every 12 hours seems like a good idea!

Thanks for the reply.

I have one or two questions about the practicalities of using an Apple TV with a large-screen television. I should probably open my own thread... I'd be grateful for your opinions, if you wouldn't mind contributing?

u49aa2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2008
Between Heaven and Hell
This for me also'

"The only way I'm able to get around it is to restart the AppleTV, which fixes it about 25% of the time... or to go on the computer, in iTunes disable Home Sharing then re-enable it (works about 50% of the time), and the other 25% of the time I just give up in frustration."

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Thanks for the reply.

I have one or two questions about the practicalities of using an Apple TV with a large-screen television. I should probably open my own thread... I'd be grateful for your opinions, if you wouldn't mind contributing?

No problem. Start a new thread and send me a PM with the link and I will see if I can help.

M3GATR0N

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2014
Los Angeles
just noticed this problem today. I purchased disney planes movie a while back and I tried playing it for my son today and the movie would cut in and out every 2-3 min. We stopped trying to play the movie its annoying. Even when I try to put the apple tv to sleep it suddenly "turns on again"

andy2141

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
UK
You can add me to the list of users having problems with ATV 3 since IOS and Yosemite.

Random disconnects to the main menu when trying to watch movies via my iMac and home sharing. Weirdly, things such as Netflix continue to work fine, but it will fail to reconnect to my library and just sit on the spinning wheel.

Rebooting the ATV and iMac still won't make it reconnect to iTunes, but a reboot of my router does. I've tried fixed IP's, DNS changes, IP reservations and none have solved it 100% both wired and wireless. Sometimes I get dropped once other times five or six times during a movie.

Frustrating to say the least.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
You can add me to the list of users having problems with ATV 3 since IOS and Yosemite.

Random disconnects to the main menu when trying to watch movies via my iMac and home sharing. Weirdly, things such as Netflix continue to work fine, but it will fail to reconnect to my library and just sit on the spinning wheel.

Rebooting the ATV and iMac still won't make it reconnect to iTunes, but a reboot of my router does. I've tried fixed IP's, DNS changes, IP reservations and none have solved it 100% both wired and wireless. Sometimes I get dropped once other times five or six times during a movie.

Frustrating to say the least.

I have moved over to Plex and all is good in my Apple TV world again :)

bliggs

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Broken Arrow
I've been having the same problem for about 7-8 months now. I've tried everything but throw it out the window lol. I purchased a Roku last month and so far it is working great!

frankdogg

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
253, WA
i recently switched from wireless back to a wired/lan connection to my ATV and so far, I've experienced little-to-no hiccups.

are you on a wireless set up?

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
Does anyone think this might have to do with the WiFi issues that OS X has been dealing with recently??

I have noticed these issue with the latest Beta's of Yosemite, and streaming from my MP. I have a Apple TV 2

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
i recently switched from wireless back to a wired/lan connection to my ATV and so far, I've experienced little-to-no hiccups.

are you on a wireless set up?

I'm on a fully hardwired network and still has the problems.

littlepooch21

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
So I've had my Apple TV 3 for a while... it's now driving me nuts. When it was on iOS 7, it was flawless.

Now that it's been on iOS 8, it's awful. Frequently it doesn't see any content shared from computers on the network. Frequently in the middle of a show it'll just stop playing and drop out to the menu. Frequently when I go into my library it'll just give me the spinning loading indication and never do anything.

I've restored it and set it up as new without success in resolving the issues. I've tried moving it from the wireless to the wired network... it's just complete garbage ever since the 8.x update. I've read many people seem to be in the same boat, but as a pet project, Apple doesn't seem to interested in solving the problems.

Not sure what to do at this point. Has anyone else been able to solve the issues?

yeah ever since I did the update things have been similar to mine also. I have to unplug it and reconnect it at least 2 times a day if I'm watching it a lot.

TrentS

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Overland Park, Kansas
Fix it!!!!!!

Why is it taking Apple so long this time to add a few patch corrections to the Apple TV software? I've been having Netflix issues for about 3 months now, and am still waiting for Apple to resolve this issue. They better hurry, at least for Netflix sake, because I'm just about ready to cancel my subscription. Netflix plays with no problem thru my iPad3, but loses connection to my router about every 5 minutes now. It isn't my router's problem, because Crackle, Youtube and FX Now movies play without any problems at all. Only Netflix, which is 80% of my usage with my Apple TV. Once I ditch Netflix, the Apple TV won't be long after.

:( :( :( :(

jetlife2

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2004
Cincinnati, Oh
Yosemite?

Any of the posters here who have problems: Are you using Yosemite or some other version? I have seen similar threads to this that were tied to "when I installed Yosemite, this began..."

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
+1

same exact problem here. I've got ATV3 and time capsule 7.6.4 as a router but I'm using a wired ethernet connection so the TC version should not matter.
Note sure when exactly this started but somewhere around ios 8/Yosemite upgrade (was fine before). Very frequent disconnects from the itunes for no good reason. I have to restart itunes on my mac to reestablish connection. rebooting computer, ATV, TC does not help. Super annoying.

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2014
If you do a search there is a known problem with yosemite with wireless and bluetooth both being on. I was trying to airplay to an atv3 and had problems. Turned of bluetooth and no more shuttering.

Its bs that this is a problem, but turning off blue tooth may help some of these issues.

Do a search and some complicated discussions come up.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Why is it taking Apple so long this time to add a few patch corrections to the Apple TV software? I've been having Netflix issues for about 3 months now, and am still waiting for Apple to resolve this issue. They better hurry, at least for Netflix sake, because I'm just about ready to cancel my subscription. Netflix plays with no problem thru my iPad3, but loses connection to my router about every 5 minutes now. It isn't my router's problem, because Crackle, Youtube and FX Now movies play without any problems at all. Only Netflix, which is 80% of my usage with my Apple TV. Once I ditch Netflix, the Apple TV won't be long after.

:( :( :( :(

Things don't get much attention when they're just a hobby.

frankdogg

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
253, WA
i didn't read through the whole thread, but has anyone done a settings reset? with apple products these days, it seems like resetting network settings or "all settings" does the trick.

just a thought. (like i said, didn't read through the thread, so if its been covered, my bad)

Graz9

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2014
Ever since OSX8 and Yosemite, I've had problems with all devices. Seems to me the bugs are with the OS.

I have Apple TV in two rooms. It was fine before Yosemite and the latest iTunes came along. Why they have to tinkle with iTunes when it wasn't broke and actually make it an inferior product is beyond me.

Now with apple TV, when I switch it on it doesn't see my library. The iMac is on, iTunes is open and home sharing is on and signed in. As far as I know all the settings are ok, wake up etc. But I have to go upstairs turn off home sharing in iTunes then turn it back on and sign in again, ATV sees ,my library straight away. It is the same for ATV we have upstairs too.

The router works fine as far as I know. I don't want to roll back to an earlier iTunes, I'd just like this bug sorted if anyone has an answer.

Thanks

I have 2 atvs too. I find that since yosemite it's more about only one device having access at once. If I connect and use one atv, the other cannot see the library. Then if that atv disconnects, the other cannot access the library until the Mac is asleep again. So if I need to swap between devices, including iOS devices, I always have to put the Mac to sleep to allow the other device to connect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.