Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

youslippin

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2011
this is cool. I'm using the nimbus controller but it sucks that I can't really play my all time favorite: Mike Tysons Punchout. No select button which is needed for the super punches :(

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
this is cool. I'm using the nimbus controller but it sucks that I can't really play my all time favorite: Mike Tysons Punchout. No select button which is needed for the super punches :(

Damn that's the one game I was looking forward to

youslippin

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2011
Damn that's the one game I was looking forward to

never mind!!! on NES games, the left trigger becomes the select button!! been playing my way through it since about 5 mins after I posted that post! no complaints regarding provenance or the nimbus controller!!!

Reactions: nasa25

nifta

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2014
You can try to build a Hackintosh partition on your PC to get Xcode running. I'm gonna look into it.

Alternatively, there are programs like Virtualbox to get Mac OS running on PCs.

Either that or buy an old second hand Mac mini, they're pretty cheap :)

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I use a Mad Cats c.t.r.l.i and its very good. Either of the Steelseries controllers would be good as well. And yeah, you can play the original Zelda.

Reactions: shamus99

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
I use a Mad Cats c.t.r.l.i and its very good. Either of the Steelseries controllers would be good as well. And yeah, you can play the original Zelda.
Since this app is not official on the AppStore

Can the dev add support for PS3 PS4 controllers ?

And another question
People here like to complain a lot , I haven't seen any in this thread
Is there something you don't like about this emulator that could be better ?

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Not too sure about the PlayStation controllers, I think it would possibly require a jailbreak to get the required Bluetooth compatibility in there.

So far I've no complaints with Provenance. Been using it on my iPad and iPhone for ages as well and it works very well.

Reactions: Che Castro

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
How does it handle thousands of games?
I plan to throw the entire nes snes and sega library in there

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Can't say for sure, I've only ever had a few dozen on at any one time (I've still got all of my old consoles set up in my office, so the emulator just gets used now and again).

But considering how well it's programmed, I think it'll handle it well enough.

Reactions: Che Castro

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Hmm, this just tipped me over to get a ATV4. Luckily, I have a USBC cord from my Nexus 6P.

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Provenance is great. I would like the developer to focus more on game organization and menus in future updates. I would like to load my entire game collections and then be able to select favorites. I would also like to see filtering options based on region, release year, company, etc. I heard that PS1 emulation has been added. I would love to see N64 as well.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Provenance is great. I would like the developer to focus more on game organization and menus in future updates. I would like to load my entire game collections and then be able to select favorites. I would also like to see filtering options based on region, release year, company, etc. I heard that PS1 emulation has been added. I would love to see N64 as well.

I think the PS1 is still in progress, thou I could be wrong, last I heard it was working but very slowly so it hadn't been added yet.

UhFive

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2013
Texas
SWEET MOTHER OF GOD! This is the greatest news I have read since the ATV4 announcement. I knew it would happen eventually, but figured it would come via a jailbreak...I didn't even think of it via side loading.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
I'm picturing a team of Apple programmers ignoring all the issues with the AppleTV and feverishly programming to block this while a Nintendo representative stands in the corner arms crossed tapping his foot.

It won't happen. All you're doing here is compiling an Xcode app and loading it on a device just like any developer would do with any application. Nothing special is happening here. Apple isn't going to start blocking Xcode apps from being loaded on devices.

Reactions: T-Will and cynics

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I'm picturing a team of Apple programmers ignoring all the issues with the AppleTV and feverishly programming to block this while a Nintendo representative stands in the corner arms crossed tapping his foot.

They can't, if they block this app which you compile from source code in Xcode. Then they block us from making and releasing our apps.

Reactions: cynics

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
It won't happen. All you're doing here is compiling an Xcode app and loading it on a device just like any developer would do with any application. Nothing special is happening here. Apple isn't going to start blocking Xcode apps from being loaded on devices.

Depending on how it's compiled it could be broken with an update requiring the dev to rebuild it. When it comes to copyright issues I wouldn't put anything passed Apple.

I feel you are right for the most part and the process plus the relatively low amount of users that will be doing this probably won't warrant any concern.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Depending on how it's compiled it could be broken with an update requiring the dev to rebuild it. When it comes to copyright issues I wouldn't put anything passed Apple.

I feel you are right for the most part and the process plus the relatively low amount of users that will be doing this probably won't warrant any concern.

There has never been a time that any emulator or any other type of app has been blocked within Xcode. It doesn't even have that capability.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
There has never been a time that any emulator or any other type of app has been blocked within Xcode. It doesn't even have that capability.

I didn't say it would be blocked, I said broken. Your right a simple emulator hasn't been blocked/broken but that's not what this is, which is why many apps can't be sideloaded onto iOS without a full jailbreak of the device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.