Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lion007s

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Australia
When in a pitch dark room, my brightness doesn’t stay at 0 (a completely empty bar). It is always slightly filled. I have to manually put it down to minimum brightness each time I unlock it at night time in my room.

Does anyone else have that happen?

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Never tested it but why would you care? Is it really too bright for you? I think everyone just lets it do its thing. They are way to worried about their CPU throttling...

Lion007s

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Australia
Never tested it but why would you care? Is it really too bright for you? I think everyone just lets it do its thing. They are way to worried about their CPU throttling...

It actually does bother me. It is a bit bright. Minimum brightness is just a few shades less bright but it makes all the difference! My previous 7 Plus didn’t do this, and currently in my family the 8 Plus, 6S, and iPad Pro 10.5 all when put to minimum brightness in a pitch dark room, retain that minimum brightness despite being unlocked several times. If I turn a light on, they all adjust automatically fine too.

If I set the brightness to minimum (an empty brightness bar) in a pitch dark room, lock my phone, and unlock it again with the same environment, it shouldn’t automatically adjust itself to be a few shades brighter with the bar just ever so slightly filled.

I just want to know if other iPhone X models are experiencing this issue and if it is common or not (which will help me determine if it is worth going in for an exchange or to live with the screen being just a tad brighter than I would like when in a pitch dark room during bed time).

j800r

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Coventry, West mids, England
When in a pitch dark room, my brightness doesn’t stay at 0 (a completely empty bar). It is always slightly filled. I have to manually put it down to minimum brightness each time I unlock it at night time in my room.

Does anyone else have that happen?

It’s not a problem/bug. It’s simply their idea of where it should be vs yours. It is gonna be different cause it’s a different screen tech. Just manually tweak it to your needs.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Just tried it in a dark room. It opens up as I left it, minimum brightness. With a small amount of light it will move up a bit. Doesn't bother me a bit. I don't fool with brightness, just set it and forget it...

Reactions: Lion007s

Lion007s

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Australia
Just tried it in a dark room. It opens up as I left it, minimum brightness. With a small amount of light it will move up a bit. Doesn't bother me a bit. I don't fool with brightness, just set it and forget it...

Thanks for trying! I’ve discovered on reddit it’s happening to a few others as well and for some others it is working just like it is for you (as per normal). I’ll just stick with it since my device seems pretty good otherwise

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.