Awaking from sleep - always asking me which network to connect to

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by petrucci666, Aug 26, 2011.

1. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

Everytime I wake up my MBA, the WiFi is disconnected and I see the box in the middle of the screen asking me to choose a network.

It didn't used to be like this on my MBP nor the new MBA but just recently started happening. How do I keep it connected always without having me ask which network I want to connect to when awaking from sleep?

Thanks!

2. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

Grrr same problem here. Super annoying. I'm chalking it up to a Lion bug that hopefully gets ironed out really soon.

Also having similar issue on Mac Pro running Lion.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Well, that's not happening to a lot of other people, so I wouldn't be too quick to chalk it up to a Lion bug. I mean, it COULD be, or it could be something else.

If it recently started happening, and NOTHING changed, that is most weird. Any new software? New router settings? New Power Save settings in the MBA preferences?

4. KPOM macrumors G5

It sometimes happens to me when it wakes up from deep sleep (not from regular sleep). Enough people are reporting Wi-Fi issues that I think it could be Lion-related. However, it might also be worthwhile taking it to a Genius Bar to see if it is related to the Wi-Fi card.

5. JGrifter macrumors newbie

Same here. It remembers the password but only when you select the network. I tried deleting preferred networks in system preferences but no joy. Has always happened on this MBA w/ Lion.

6. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

It's been happening frequently on my new iMac when it wakes from sleep since I upgraded to Lion. I never had this issue on Snow Leopard.

7. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

In our house, this is happening on a MBA that came with Lion. It's also happening on a Mac Pro recently upgraded to Lion. It was happening on a 15" MacBook Pro when it was upgraded to Lion (but which I got rid of to get the MBA). It is not happening on a 13" MacBook Pro running Leopard.

8. xXSL1MXx macrumors member

Ok so basically the problems Lion right? My 13" MBP started getting this problem a little bit after i upgraded to Lion.

9. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Try removing the network from the wifi favorites list. Also, try creating a new location and reconnect to your network. A combination of those steps used to fix the problem in the past (this is something that would happen infrequently on SL and even back to Leopard, if memory serves.

Unfortunately, both our machines (MBP 2009 and MBA gen 1), were near instant prior to Lion (actually, only upgraded the MBP, so far; the MBA is currently on SL and is fine - we'll see).

I will note that 10.7.1 seemed to improve the connection speed with the MBP - now anywhere from instant, to maybe 10 sec.

10. Flight 815 macrumors newbie

Same issue with me, with a twist: When my 11" MBA awakens from sleep, it says none of my preferred networks are available and shows me a list of networks (including my preferred network, which is of course available). I choose my network, and then the error message "a connection timeout has occurred" pops up. I turn off wifi, turn it back on, and it connects immediately to my preferred network. It did this for awhile when I first got my MBA a couple weeks ago, then stopped, and now it's doing it again, but only with certain networks (usually new ones).

11. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

YES! I am experiencing this exact same thing! Sorry, but I'm glad it's not just mine! I've been driving myself nuts, resetting my Airport Extreme, disconnecting Airport Express, trying different security schemes, etc.

12. RobNor macrumors regular

Same here

13. Flight 815, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011

Flight 815 macrumors newbie

Wow, I'm really glad to find out it's not just me either! Yeah, it's incredibly annoying. And it's not like I can't connect to the internet at all, it's just really annoying/inconvenient to have to turn off, then turn on Airport every time I wake up from sleep.

Apple geniuses didn't know what it was. I set up a Test account and it did the same thing there. Reset keychain access, allowed all apps to use certificates, made my computer forget my preferred networks in Network preferences... nothing has worked! :(

14. pollaxe macrumors 6502

pollaxe

Same issue here - my MBA had it from the start, I thought 10.7.1 had sorted it out but it started happening again and I've had no luck following the various suggestions all over the interweb to sort it out.

It's very annoying.

15. Jemi9OD macrumors regular

Jemi9OD

This happens to me every time I take my MBA to work. At home, it connects fine, but work is where I have to select the network, every, single, time.

16. technopimp macrumors 6502a

17. brand macrumors 601

brand

I have not had this problem with 10.7.0 or 10.7.1 on a 2011 11" MacBook Air and 13" 2009 MacBook Pro.

18. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

It would be helpful if people experiencing problems would post what kind of wireless router and connection they are using (b/g/n). Apple has been know (at least by me :D) to be a little finicky when it comes to off brand routers. Oddly enough, the Airport Express and Time Capsule have ALWAYS worked great for me. Hmmmm.... :rolleyes:

19. glen e, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011

glen e macrumors 68030

as far as I'm concerned it's lion - never happened to me until I got lion. Does not happen on my ipad or my iphone or my 2010 MBA running SL..

20. Flight 815 macrumors newbie

Yeah, it seems like it's Lion - this has happened to me on several different routers (Linksys, Netgear, Cisco, Belkin) and with the same frequency.

21. dalum macrumors newbie

"me too!" ;)

2011 Air that came with Lion. It was doing it on both 10.7 and 10.7.1. I'm on wireless just fine, close the lid, reopen it, "none of your preferred networks are available", but its on the list of networks in the same box. I click the network, click join without entering the password and it instantly connects.

At work on a Dell truemobile 2300, WPA Personal, G
    At work TRENDNet TEW-653AP, WPA2 Personal, N
    At home TRENDNet (forget model) router, WPA2 Personal, N

They all have different SSID's, 2 are broadcasting, 1 is hidden. They're all in the preferred networks with remember networks I've connected to checked.

It doesn't happen using put display to sleep using hot corners.

22. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

This happened to me too once i upgraded everything to Lion, IRONICALLY that same day I had the internet provider come out and fix an issue so I thought it was something they did. After a long heated discussion with them I figured out a solution which works.

SOLUTION to this issue:

Log into your routers settings and change your SSID and you can use the same password and than reset the router and you will be fine (I changed my sssid completely although if you change it save it than change back to the original one I don't see why it would not fix the issue)

23. mixman macrumors member

Same problem on 2011 Macbook Air on Lion. A 2011 Macbook Pro on Snow Leopard doesn't have this issue.

24. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

do what i said it will fix it

25. dalum macrumors newbie

This doesn't make any sense. If it was the router it wouldn't be doing this on multiple routers all on the same machine. What are you saying changing the ssid, then changing it right back, changes on the mac?

I happen to be a network admin at my work and could change the broadcast ssid temporarily but most people don't have that option.