Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Utterly pointless. Did you actually read the thread title?
It's for the people who didn't expect the AW to be glued together.

Some of the posters also didn't know that it can be taken apart with some heat (iFixIt used their "iOpener" hot packet to get it open).

I wish the back of the AW was screwed down like most other decent watches out there, or at least with a strong snap-in design. None of my other watches' casebacks are simply glued into place. I haven't had a problem with my AW yet, and I hope it stays that way, but you can be sure I'll make a fuss with Apple if it pops apart.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
It's for the people who didn't expect the AW to be glued together.

Some of the posters also didn't know that it can be taken apart with some heat (iFixIt used their "iOpener" hot packet to get it open).

I wish the back of the AW was screwed down like most other decent watches out there, or at least with a strong snap-in design. None of my other watches' casebacks are simply glued into place. I haven't had a problem with my AW yet, and I hope it stays that way, but you can be sure I'll make a fuss with Apple if it pops apart.

None of your other "watch's casebacks have sensors mounted on them which kinda makes it hard for them to screw them down. If it is done correctly the glue is more than good enough to hold a watch like the AW together. What we are seeing here are the few would were not assembled correctly. Apple will take responsibility for these unless there is other obvious damage.

Reactions: aflygirl9

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
Yesterday, my wife removed her 38mm SS Apple Watch from its charger, and the module containing the sensors peeled off! I believe there was a thread on this problem shortly after the watch was launched, but I can't find it any longer. Has anyone else had this experience lately?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Yesterday, my wife removed her 38mm SS Apple Watch from its charger, and the module containing the sensors peeled off! I believe there was a thread on this problem shortly after the watch was launched, but I can't find it any longer. Has anyone else had this experience lately?

It has been reported here several times.

Just return it to Apple to get repairs or if you have AC+ call the and they will overnight you another watch so you can send yours in

Mattymoocow

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
Hi
I went to take my SS 42mm with Black sport band off the charger the other day and the luckily noticed before I kept pulling it, that the heart rate backing had separated from the body of the watch. I removed it carefully from the MagSafe charger and pushed it back into place.

Watch still works perfectly, the backing just comes off whenever I remove if from the charger.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I went to an Apple Store, they told me that they could send it away to be assessed, they wouldn't replaced there on the spot as I didn't purchase it from within an Apple Store, I purchased it from Apple Online store, at the time you couldn't buy one from an Apple Store! WTF!

So I ended up ringing Apple (from within the Apple Store) and they arranged a replacement to be sent out in 2 days time. The night before a person from Apple range me saying that my particular model is no longer available & asked if I wanted a full refund. I told her I just wanted a Stainless steel 42mm watch with Black sports band. The next day the watched arrived, I opened it up to find a black SS 42mm with black sports band :)

I was over the moon, this was the combo I originally wanted, but couldn't order!

Fingers crossed the back plate doesn't come off this one!

Reactions: jaymc

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Hi
I went to take my SS 42mm with Black sport band off the charger the other day and the luckily noticed before I kept pulling it, that the heart rate backing had separated from the body of the watch. I removed it carefully from the MagSafe charger and pushed it back into place.

Watch still works perfectly, the backing just comes off whenever I remove if from the charger.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I went to an Apple Store, they told me that they could send it away to be assessed, they wouldn't replaced there on the spot as I didn't purchase it from within an Apple Store, I purchased it from Apple Online store, at the time you couldn't buy one from an Apple Store! WTF!

So I ended up ringing Apple (from within the Apple Store) and they arranged a replacement to be sent out in 2 days time. The night before a person from Apple range me saying that my particular model is no longer available & asked if I wanted a full refund. I told her I just wanted a Stainless steel 42mm watch with Black sports band. The next day the watched arrived, I opened it up to find a black SS 42mm with black sports band :)

I was over the moon, this was the combo I originally wanted, but couldn't order!

Fingers crossed the back plate doesn't come off this one!
Yep, around here seen it a few times but have not seen it in person.

Studivan

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2015
Philadelphia
I agree. His appears to be the only SS model reported on this forum, yet it was replaced three times due to the back falling off. Where's the rest of the story?

The rest of what story, the watch is under warranty for a year when you buy it, I don't have apple care, they have to replace it, the glue eventually breaks down from the heat of charging, what more to the story is there.

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
The back came off my wife's 38 mm. SS watch too, and the Apple Store in Miami Beach replaced it in a few days. Are you saying that the 42 mm. SS watch is no longer available?

Mattymoocow

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
The back came off my wife's 38 mm. SS watch too, and the Apple Store in Miami Beach replaced it in a few days. Are you saying that the 42 mm. SS watch is no longer available?

You can no longer buy a 42mm SS with black sports band. It was replaced with the Black SS with black sports band.

Stupotpot

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I removed my Apple Watch from the charger today, and the rear panel remained on the charger, and the Watch came away!

Booked an appointment at the Genius bar (expecting to get a replacement) and the watch needs to be sent off to be repaired...maximum of two weeks using an analogue dumb watch! How will I cope?!

oxout18

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2015
The back cover has detached from the body of the watch exposing wires. We are going to the Genus Bar. Has this happened to anyone else?

UPDATE. Our visit to the Genius Bar proved to me, once again, that not all geniuses are created equal. I requested immediate replacement under Apple Care. No go. They insisted on sending it out to the depot for a decision to either repair or replace. One Genius had an interesting theory, however. He said that batteries sometimes start to expand--either pushing out the front or back of the Apple Watch. I will post again when we get more info from the depot.

UPDATE #2. Apple came through, just like they usually do. We left the watch at the Genus Bar on Friday, and received a phone call the following Tuesday advising us that Apple had decided to replace the watch and we could pick it up. Now my wife has a shinny new watch and we are all happy again.

The exact same thing happenned to my 42mm stainless steel apple watch. I left it charging overnight on its side in alarm clock mode and when I awoke the magnetic charger had pulled the back off exposing the glue and wiring. The apple store in SF sent it off for repair but issued me with a new one, so a happy ending but I am worried about recurrence. Is this a bad batch or a design flaw?

Two things I wondering about. One, I had only recently started to charge the watch laying on its side in alarm clock mode since the introduction of the new watch OS 2.0, could this add more pressure on the glued back rather than laying the watch flat to charge? Two, I had recently bought the milanese bracelet which also magnetically sticks to the back plate thenever laid down, could this additional magnetic force have gradually weakened the glue?

Last edited by a moderator:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
The exact same thing happenned to my 42mm stainless steel apple watch. I left it charging overnight on its side in alarm clock mode and when I awoke the magnetic charger had pulled the back off exposing the glue and wiring. The apple store in SF sent it off for repair but issued me with a new one, so a happy ending but I am worried about recurrence. Is this a bad batch or a design flaw?

Two things I wondering about. One, I had only recently started to charge the watch laying on its side in alarm clock mode since the introduction of the new watch OS 2.0, could this add more pressure on the glued back rather than laying the watch flat to charge? Two, I had recently bought the milanese bracelet which also magnetically sticks to the back plate thenever laid down, could this additional magnetic force have gradually weakened the glue?

It's really concerning that these are just held together with glue. I suppose the fix is just to reglue it, though for the money, I'd have hoped for better engineering .

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Bummer... well at least they are fixing it. I had heard that if you did it by calling instead of going in that they would send you a replacement, but not experienced it myself.

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2015
Texas
Bummer... well at least they are fixing it. I had heard that if you did it by calling instead of going in that they would send you a replacement, but not experienced it myself.

I would think they would want to see the issue before sending you a replacement. Otherwise, some may try to get a new one when theirs is just getting old from scratches, etc.

TxWatch

ougum

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
I removed my Apple Watch from the charger today, and the rear panel remained on the charger, and the Watch came away!

Booked an appointment at the Genius bar (expecting to get a replacement) and the watch needs to be sent off to be repaired...maximum of two weeks using an analogue dumb watch! How will I cope?!
8b820759a1268aa254ac29589e714136.jpg

Happened to me too months ago when I got my first watch. Apple switched it out for a new one. Haven't had it happen since.

oxout18

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2015
This is not encouraging me to get one for my wife as a Xmas present. I got mine on day 1 of the launch and the back came off with 144 warrant days remaining, so after 221 days. I could forgive a bad batch at launch but if it is still happening with recently purchased watches that is really worrying.

Stupotpot

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne
This is not encouraging me to get one for my wife as a Xmas present. I got mine on day 1 of the launch and the back came off with 144 warrant days remaining, so after 221 days. I could forgive a bad batch at launch but if it is still happening with recently purchased watches that is really worrying.
Don't hold back! Mine was a launch day watch too!

Roastman

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2016
Update! Apple have replaced my watch! Wish they'd've done that last week!!

I had to wait a couple of days to get an appointment at the Genius Bar, only to be told by the "Genius" they had to send it in for appraisal. He told me it would most likely be glued together and sent back to me. I later complained to Apple via online chat and after insisting on speaking with a live person, I got a phone call. This escalated to another call from a different person, who then had to call the store etc... When I spoke again, I was told they would possibly just replace the watch. I have been told I have to wait 7 days to hear...

When I complained about the build quality in a support thread on Apple Support Communities, my post was immediately deleted. I stated the facts as they happened, without any form of abuse etc, but my post was deleted because it should have gone into the feedback section. This is convenient for Apple, as the feedback section is not viewed by the public. If this was a cheap watch, I could understand a fault such as this and would not demand a replacement. This is an $800 watch. The back should not fall off!

melburstein

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2012
The back cover has detached from the body of the watch exposing wires. We are going to the Genus Bar. Has this happened to anyone else?

UPDATE. Our visit to the Genius Bar proved to me, once again, that not all geniuses are created equal. I requested immediate replacement under Apple Care. No go. They insisted on sending it out to the depot for a decision to either repair or replace. One Genius had an interesting theory, however. He said that batteries sometimes start to expand--either pushing out the front or back of the Apple Watch. I will post again when we get more info from the depot.

UPDATE #2. Apple came through, just like they usually do. We left the watch at the Genus Bar on Friday, and received a phone call the following Tuesday advising us that Apple had decided to replace the watch and we could pick it up. Now my wife has a shinny new watch and we are all happy again.
[doublepost=1454687947][/doublepost]UPDATE #3

For the second time, the back on my wife's sports watch fell off when removing it from the charger. Apple sent it to the repair depot and she received a new watch about one week later.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
If this was a cheap watch, I could understand a fault such as this and would not demand a replacement. This is an $800 watch. The back should not fall off!

1. You may think it is a lot, but $800 is cheap in the watch world. Luxury watches are substantially more expensive than that.

2. Even an $800 iPhone can have loose/stuck/detached home button and sleep/wake button. Not to mention the rather common issue of shifted "crescent moon" camera on iPhone 6. Manufacturing defects happen.

Last edited:

Roastman

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2016
1. You may think it is a lot, but $800 is cheap in the watch world. Luxury watches are substantially more expensive than that.

2. Even an $800 iPhone can have loose/stuck/detached home button and sleep/wake button. Not to mention the rather common issue of shifted "crescent moon" camera on iPhone 6. Manufacturing defects happen.

Yes, but $800 is a lot for a smart watch (compared to Samsung etc). Apple bases its reputation on quality, so this is an annoyance. If you push the quality of your products, then back it up. It is annoying that I had to go through multiple "escalations" to get to someone who was prepared to help. That is my major issue (apart from the shoddy glue job). I like Apple products and have not experienced major quality issues previously. When I have experienced a problem, they have responded quickly and efficiently. Not so with the watch.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Yes, but $800 is a lot for a smart watch (compared to Samsung etc). Apple bases its reputation on quality, so this is an annoyance. If you push the quality of your products, then back it up. It is annoying that I had to go through multiple "escalations" to get to someone who was prepared to help. That is my major issue (apart from the shoddy glue job). I like Apple products and have not experienced major quality issues previously. When I have experienced a problem, they have responded quickly and efficiently. Not so with the watch.

The AW starts at $349/399, not $800.

Unfortunately, the AW is the first and only iDevice for which Apple has elected not to stock white box replacements across the board (to swap out on the spot), and I agree it doesn't make for good customer experience typical of Apple. I have no idea why they've singled out the AW.

TypeMRT

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
The AW starts at $349/399, not $800.

Unfortunately, the AW is the first and only iDevice for which Apple has elected not to stock white box replacements across the board (to swap out on the spot), and I agree it doesn't make for good customer experience typical of Apple. I have no idea why they've singled out the AW.

At first I thought stocking would be difficult because there are so many size & color combination. But at this point Apple should have enough repair data to be able stock the top 3 most repaired watches and keep just those in-stock. It makes for an inconsistent experience (some in-store, some mail-away) but having some happy customers is better than having all unhappy customers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.