back to iOS 6 (merged)

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by WeegieMac, Sep 14, 2013.

1. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

So I just DFU restored back to iOS 6 via iTunes on my iPad 4th Gen and after spending three days with the GM of iOS 7 I have to say it's quit a staggering difference in performance.

Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, is just so much smoother on iOS 6, my iPad feels like the powerful device it is and not the stuttering mess iOS 7 had made it become.

It's a shame because I do prefer the look and features of iOS 7 but until the performance matches iOS 6, I won't be going back. The only downside to staying on 6 is that when all the apps begin updating to the iOS 7 look it'll bring a bit of inconsistency to the home screen.

I'll be keeping my 4S on iOS 7 though, because it runs as smooth as iOS 6 did. Hopefully Apple bring the iPad performance back up to par with a .1 or .0.1 release, but I'm not holding my breath.

Any other iPad users going back before the iOS 6 signing window shuts on the 18th?

2. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

The new features are worth updating to me.

They will improve performance over the next months by small updates, it will all work itself out.

3. WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

I hope so mate, because even while I appreciate and love the smoothness of iOS 6 I have found myself trying to use the swipe back on Safari and swipe up with one finger to launch Control Center. You get used to those features incredibly quickly, they do become second nature.

However, stuttering in a UI detracts from the experience for me so I'll be keeping an eye on the forum when the inevitable .1 release comes in the hope Apple have ironed out the iPad build's kinks.

When it comes to iOS though, Apple has a history of leaving iOS performance 'as is'. I don't remember an update to fix stuttering transitions, though I could be wrong.

4. ajiuo macrumors 65816

I wish that I could go back to iPhone OS 1 for nostalgic reasons.

5. tudy25 macrumors newbie

I remember in iOS 4.3 Apple introduced a new animation to the opening of apps that was laggy/choppy. But with iOS 5, they fixed this. I had the 3GS back then and it was a noticeable difference between these two versions.

6. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Device speed certainly has an impact, don't expect perfect performance on older devices

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

I think the difference there (and in the case of iOS 7) was that the iOS update itself changed the animations unrelated to device/performance.

8. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

That appears the case here as well, besides that performance is always an issue with older devices and more advanced firmwares.

9. WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

While that is true, the 4th Gen iPad is still the top end model for now. This isn't an issue of underpowered hardware not being able to handle a new operating system. There is something underlying within the iPad build of iOS 7 that is causing some odd issues on iPad.

Changing the wallpaper takes some 15 seconds all in on iOS 7, yet on iOS 6 I can select and set two wallpapers in that time. On my iPhone 4S the wallpaper is set within a couple of seconds, and that device is far less powerful than the iPad 4th Gen.

The 1.4GHz A6X is more than enough to handle iOS 7, so this is definitely not down to older hardware and newer, more demanding software.

10. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

I expect more quality from apple than these half made 2 steps back updates with a cherry on top.

11. Curun macrumors 6502

Curun

Im doing the same thing.

IPhone staying iOS7.
    IPad returning to iOS6.

Multiple reasons.
    1. Speed and smoothness and stability.
    2. New features like control center aren't as beneficial on iPad.
    3. Im planning on upgrading to iPad 5 next month, so short wait.
    4. Person I sell current iPad will be able to choose to remain back on 6 or upgrade them self to 7.

12. CmdrLaForge macrumors 601

CmdrLaForge

I really hope you are right. I am still using my iPad one and ever since I upgraded to iOS 5 it is just laggy and not so much fun to use anymore. I wish I could go back to iOS 4. in iOS4 this iPad was perfect and everything I need day in and out. Just for this reason I am now considering purchasing a new iPad5...

13. boobie12 macrumors 6502

Surprisingly in my mini ios7 is running great. Just as good as ios6. I wonder why it's running like that in the 4. And I must say io7 has grown on me so much. I'm totally loving it.

14. jonnyb098, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2013

jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

jonnyb098

I've gone back to ios 6 on my ipad and keeping 7 on my 4S. So I'm in the same boat as most here. I can't stress enough that this IS NOT an issue of the iPad 4 not being able to keep up when my 2 year old 4S runs just fine. Apple simply dropped the ball and will no doubt pick it up again. Hopefully soon though since they are gonna have a ton of complaints on their hands. Their hallmark feature is that the whole OS takes on the look of your wallpaper and yet setting a wallpaper on an iPad takes 10 + seconds. Just one of many ipad issues right now.

So come next week millions of ipad users will upgrade not knowing what they're in for and their devices will feel like more sluggish than an iPad 1. :(

15. Tubamajuba macrumors 68020

Yeah, the strangest aspect of this whole thing is that the iPad mini doesn't seem to be performing too much worse than the iPad 4. My mini stutters a bit at times, but it's certainly usable. This leads me to believe it is more of a software issue- if it was a hardware issue, I'd expect the iPhone 5 to be as equally taxed as the iPad 4. Yet the iPhone 5 runs iOS 7 beautifully.

16. Altis macrumors 68030

If the performance is not acceptable, Apple should allow people to revert their devices back to iOS 6. Alternative methods aside, Apple does not allow this. So once you upgrade, you're locked into whatever mess they may have created.

They killed my poor old 3GS by doing this... It wasn't fun to deal with.

17. mwhals macrumors 6502

mwhals

I am so glad I saw this thread! I will upgrade my iPhone 5 to iOS 7 and keep my iPad 2 at iOS 6.

18. Bellabus macrumors newbie

I noticed the same thing on my ipad 4 with the gm. It's very leggy. Can't image the 3 or 2 running this os.

19. WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

Glad you've found it helpful.

I posted this video I made at short notice the other evening, just to show (or try to) the odd animation glitches on the iPad 4.

http://youtu.be/AeuEBFx2MtY

Apologies for the low volume and heavy breathing, I've just gotten over a bad chest infection.:eek:

20. WhackyNinja macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

Understandable...iOS 7 is a buggy mess on the iPad from what I've heard. Hopefully some bugs will clear out by iOS 7.0.1

21. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

For me the staggering difference in speed and smoothness in native apps like Mail and Safari are what are keeping me on iOS7...

On iOS6 Safari had become such a nightmare to use...

22. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I did!
    [​IMG]

23. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

It's a PHONE, iPOD and an INTERNET COMMUNICATOR!

Thanks Steve.

24. blasto2236 macrumors 6502a

Is this a Winterboard theme or something? I also find it hard to believe it'd be showing as "Cingular" :)

25. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Yup. Cingular didn't exist anymore when the iPhone released.
    And the iTunes app didn't exist in iOS until months after the iPhone was launched. (1.1.1 maybe?)