Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

STOCK411

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2007
Most of people complaining were going to sell the iPod to get money instead. That's not what Apple wanted, otherwise they would have given a bigger student discount, not free iPods.

Their original goal was to put iPods in the hands of students who were not originally going to buy one. Then they could make an iTunes account to spend on music and apps, which are more profitable to Apple than the iPod themselves anyway.

If everybody just buy the Mac and resell the iPod on craigslist, they sell it to people that likely were going to buy one anyway (so they lose the profit of the hardware sale), plus if these people are cheap enough to get through the trouble of buying someone else's brand new iPod through craigslist to save money, they probably pirate music, too.

Now, instead, this forces you to actually use iTunes or the App Store. I bet most of people that will be getting those gift cards don't have an iTunes account already, so they'll make one, spend the 100$ and learn how the Mac App Store and such work.

After the 100$, they will be more likely to come back to iTunes / Mac App Store since they now already have an account and know how it works.

Apple then fulfills their original goal again: Making you spend on content.

couldn't say it better my self! +1

Takuya

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2010
For all the angry people in this thread:

The $100 is meant for students to use it to buy apps and get them acquainted with the Mac App Store. Apple doesn't have to buy everyone iPods. iPods are the world's best selling mp3 players. Most teens have iPhones.

This is meant to be of actual use to students. If you don't like it, don't buy a Mac. It's not part of the "cult", nor is it arrogant. It's actually quite a bit better than an iPod. College kids can buy iWork or other software they might use. They can buy music, books, and apps. I'd say it's a step in the right direction.

tl;dr: apple owes you nothing. Most people get ****** computers from dell with what? Certainly not the same back to school specials nor computer quality as Apple.

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
If I can sell the card, sure. Otherwise, its completely useless and may as well not take advantage of the promotion at all, I have no intention of ever using an iOS product or the app store.

If you don't plan on using an iOS device, then I guess you wouldn't have wanted a free iPod Touch either?

Plus, what do you plan using your Mac for? They're pretty boring without applications to run and do things with you know.

ESPN

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
How disappointing.....

Expensive Mac + ipod + student discount was reasonable but now it is now downright torrid.

The Windows 7 computer + Xbox is definitively the better deal now.

I don't understand all this anger as Apple doesn't have to provide buyers with any bonus or incentive. :confused:

They don't , people will just buy windows 7 laptop which is cheaper and provides better items. Apple giving a 100$ card, weak.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Are you people serious? A gift card is a better value for many people. For example, what is a student who already has an iPod touch going to do with another one? At least this way, the student has some choices.

dmm219

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
regardless of where the money goes, its half the value of the sales in the past. Its a legitimate complaint and it really doesn't make it worth it for me to buy. I will now wait a few more years and buy a bit later when I really need to.

Sure, its better than nothing, but you can't argue that is isn't a huge "yawn"...

guvna

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2011
This is the first time I have qualified for student discount.

14% off plus $100/£65 for movies/books sounds good to me.

Thanks Apple

1986alexander

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

What about if I return my laptop after I receive my gift card?

Yay User Name

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2011
1.) Has anyone considered how little the change in cost to Apple is? Normally they use this promo to get rid of old iPods only worth about $150. In addition, probably $80 out of that price is profit, meaning you can subtract that amount from the value for what it costs them. That leaves you with $70, the same amount they lose from the gift card.

2.) As this promo is normally used to clear out old iPods before the September refresh, could this mean that we will see a late iPod refresh this year?

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Lucky me, not relevant .. I'm out of school for a while; my little one not yet in.

But actually I think the idea to give gift card for apps is good for all the software maker out there who can get a bit more sales. Specially if smaller makers are chosen. The value of the gift card might could better fit to the original value of an iPT and be 150$ but ok. Time changes.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
1.) Has anyone considered how little the change in cost to Apple is? Normally they use this promo to get rid of old iPods only worth about $150. In addition, probably $80 out of that price is profit, meaning you can subtract that amount from the value for what it costs them. That leaves you with $70, the same amount they lose from the gift card.

2.) As this promo is normally used to clear out old iPods before the September refresh, could this mean that we will see a late iPod refresh this year?

this year iPod Touch will be replaced with iPhone mini or whatever is called ...

if you have not noticed already, they are already replacing the iPod icon with Music and Videso in the iOS slowly

iPhone everywhere!

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Whilst I'm annoyed that I probably won't be able to offset the cost of my mbp, I'm excited that I'll finally have an excuse for buying tomtom for my iPhone without actually having to spend any extra money on it.

I just hope it's an instant rebate, not one of those lame mail-in ones!

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
Are you people serious? A gift card is a better value for many people. For example, what is a student who already has an iPod touch going to do with another one? At least this way, the student has some choices.

People just want to sell the iPod touch as they'd get more. In the UK if its going to be a £65 giftcard thats not great compared to selling an iPod touch for £150+ that can be spent on anything.

What about if I return my laptop after I receive my gift card?

They void the giftcard and charge you for the amount you've used?

ApleSmaple1981

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
Any chance they'll allow us to use the gift card on hardware...maybe just sell it and use the cash towards hardware?

thoughts.

Attachments

• Slide1.jpg
    Slide1.jpg
    497.2 KB · Views: 155

Yay User Name

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2011
this year iPod Touch will be replaced with iPhone mini or whatever is called ...

if you have not noticed already, they are already replacing the iPod icon with Music and Videso in the iOS slowly

iPhone everywhere!

Hope it keeps the iPod pricing for whatever it is, cause I don't want to buy a smartphone.

C0LUMBIA

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2011

I think that because the next iPhone will be released later, this means that the next iPod touch will be released either late this year or early next year meaning that the clear out for B2S needs not to happen.

This guess-timation comes from the release date difference between the iPhone 4 and the iPod 4.

Just my opinion :)

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
If you don't plan on using an iOS device, then I guess you wouldn't have wanted a free iPod Touch either?

Plus, what do you plan using your Mac for? They're pretty boring without applications to run and do things with you know.

Again, thats arrogant and ignorant of you to make such a claim. I dont use or need to use the app store. I only require basic functionality.

As for what I will be using my mac for; graphic design and web development. Two fields of study which I already have the applications for.

ESPN

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
Agreed 100%.

Anyone buying a $1000+ laptop clearly is not going hungry or lacking in funds to buy a 200 ipod.

If you want free crap, MS is offering up their Xbox 360 with any $600 PC purchase. Enjoy. Clearly showing how valuable they think Xbox's are!

Crap?

...I wonder why Windows operating systems still account for 90% of the market.

Care to enlighten me?

By giving away Xbox they re energize their game console that have declined with PS3 and Wii.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.