Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApleSmaple1981

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
Capitalism

The fact that the only two MAIN options for daily computing for the majority of consumers is either Windows or OSX is in itself a sort of Monopolistic Trust. Apple's seamless integration of its bundled software, such as iMovie and iPhoto etc., is a major driver for teens and college students.

They've made a name for themselves off of the iPod platform more than anything and their computers piggy-backed off their popularity.

I personally like purchasing Apple because of the fact that those malicious adware/trojan/spyware dirtbags code much more for Windows due to its lion, no pun intended, of the market share. In addition, having Keynote, iMovie, etc. helps me out as a teacher.

Now to the greater point, Apple is very costly compared to its competitors. It's a choice you say, but should we have to be subjected to name-calling simply because we, as consumers who drive the market that Apple makes MASSIVE PROFITS off of, want and expect annual promotions to maintain their value both monetarily and personally (i.e. using it to get hardware vs. software is much more valuable to people's wants)? In fact, prices generally decrease as a result of innovation then a jump in demand and then supply.

At the end of the day I will be spending over $2,000 on a laptop and would like the $100 credit, which has been in lieu of an iPod Touch, to be applicable towards hardware, not just software that isn't as desirable by most consumers.

Yay User Name

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2011
Unlikely it wouldn't be enough time for consumes since christmas is around the corner and this will be past Black Friday- biggest retail day of year.

As always 90% chance that new ipods will be revealed in september.

True, hadn't thought about Black Friday. But still, they could be released later than normal.

ESPN

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeah, because markethare and usage is such a great measure of the quality of a product...

A lot of people drive fords, does that mean they're better than audis? ;)

To a certain extent that logic can be used but the amount of Fords to Audis arent 9 -1.

When a product encompasses such a large majority, it is better. Its not like every windows computer is a Ford anyways, get an i7 with 8GB RAM and 2011 graphics and you have a Mercedes.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

bjett92 said:
Windows > Mac
Based on marketshare and usage.

Xbox > nothing
A console is better than nothing.

Your statement is invalid.

Yeah let's base how good a product is on market share. Ford has a bigger market share than Bentley. They must make better cars.

Lol I can't believe we used almost the same example! Bentley and Audi are both owned by the VW group, aren't they?

NoExpectations

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
I'm glad that Apple is no longer giving away a free iPod....jeez....how many do we need?

On the other hand, $100 is not a very good promotion when your competition is giving away XBOXes. For most people, the first $30 will go right back to Apple for OS X Lion.

Why not a free Apple TV? I bet a lot of dorm rooms could use one of those.

ddavid

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
I'll wait until Lion is preinstalled and sell the silly gift card. I was hoping for something tangible...an XBox would be cool.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

what a joke. I can't believe the people on this board apologizing for Apple. Oh wait yes I can haha.

This back to school promo is a joke. Hopefully their summer sales suffer as a result of this.

bjett92

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Indy, IN
I'm glad that Apple is no longer giving away a free iPod....jeez....how many do we need?

On the other hand, $100 is not a very good promotion when your competition is giving away XBOXes. For most people, the first $30 will go right back to Apple for OS X Lion.

Lion is included as part of the up to date program. So anyone who buys a Mac now should upgrade for free when Lion is released.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK

ESPN said:

Yeah, because markethare and usage is such a great measure of the quality of a product...

A lot of people drive fords, does that mean they're better than audis? ;)

To a certain extent that logic can be used but the amount of Fords to Audis arent 9 -1.

When a product encompasses such a large majority, it is better. Its not like every windows computer is a Ford anyways, get an i7 with 8GB RAM and 2011 graphics and you have a Mercedes.

No, that would make it top of the line ford focus ST. ;)

C0LUMBIA

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2011

For every new Mac bought after the 6th June, Lion will be free.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
Windows > Mac
Based on marketshare and usage.

Those words mean so much to someone on hold with Dell customer support.

Xbox > nothing
A console is better than nothing.

True. The xbox is better than nothing. PS3 and Wii are much better especially considering that horrible UI MS put on the xbox. Those "blades" LOL

Your statement is invalid.

LMAO

My statement is 100% valid.

Variant

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
Most students will end up buying Pages and all the crap. Look at the top paid apps in the store. They are almost all made by Apple. Most of that $100 will go straight back to Apple.

I've purchased iWork twice, and will never buy it again. MS software if by FAR superior.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.