Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hoanganh

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2011
(*) X-user-bad, means 'X' is factory DLX, '6' is factory DL6, 'T' for factory DQT and 'P' for factory DMP, all taken from the first 3 of the serial.
(**) 4th character is half of the year. Will be 'F' for first, 'G' for second half.
(***) 5th character is week of manufacturing from previous table.

ps.- If your serial# starts with DLXFP. You have an iPad2 made at (DLX) factory, is made in the first half of the year (F) and on week 20 (P)
ps2.- post your first 5 characters of your serial and if you have a good backlight or the bleeding problem.
ps3.- any error in the table?, let me know.

mine is DLXFL and it has a bad screen.

viewliners

macrumors member
May 20, 2011
When Apple.com ships out a new iPad, does it also email you the serial number
in addition to the shipping tracking number? :confused:
Thanks! :)

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
Just received my White 64GB wifi. DLXFQ. Back light bleeding in the lower left of the screen. I am keeping it though as I have been waiting for this for too long to go through getting another (first one I got refund due to DOA - did not boot - launch day in Australia and they had no other stock).

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
new additions: P-(X-HoriZonUK-bad) P-(X-teatang-bad)

Read it as: week-(factory-user-condition).

---

iPad2 BACKLIGHT BLEEDING issue forum reports:

7 week 07 (seems none manufactured before week 7, well maybe... (X-stevejobs-OK))

8 week 08 (X-xaldafax-OK)

9 week 09 (X-jps1012-OK)

C week 10

D week 11 (X-danito85-bad) (X-thisisfunah-bad)

F week 12 (X-mvp2206-bad) (X-KevinM2-bad) (X-HardLuckStories-bad) (X-Hello-bad)

G week 13 (X-kiko-OK) (X-roflc0pter-bad)

H week 14

J week 15 (X-ClairebearZac-OK) (X-boraxatude-bad)

K week 16 (X-nickbarbs-OK) (X-sword28-OK) (T-hughmann-bad) (T-jaikob-OK) (X-built-OK) (X-built-OK) (X-hughmannVendor-OK) (X-chinit0-bad) (X-Satdude-bad) (X-jbud72-OK) (X-bcterp-OK)

L week 17 (X-Tobster3-bad) (6-tehstk-bad) (6-gkarris-bad)

M week 18 (6-ryxsolo-bad) (X-Jrfowlessc-bad) (6-blarivee-bad) (6-rummelx-bad) (X-iSamurai-bad) (X-HardLuckStories-OK) (X-BearsFan34-OK) (X-vicenturri-bad) (X-pinkmechanic-bad) (6-jrolson-bad) (6-headhoncho123-OK)

N week 19 (T-hughmann-bad) (X-RossMc-OK) (6-jogales-bad) (6-awjvail-bad) (6-catalyst6-bad) (6-rummelx-bad) (6-Clusty-bad) (X-jason910-OK) (6-doubledown7d-bad) (6-tYNS-bad)

P week 20 (X-alexwai-bad) (X-dquek123-bad) (X-chaicka-OK) (X-ryxsolo-OK) (X-Tobster3-OK) (X-catalyst6-bad) (X-gusnyc-bad) (6-smokingmonkey-bad) (X-corvus32-bad) (X-satdude-OK) (6-catalyst6-OK) (P-bcterp-bad) (6-Extract0r-bad) (6-Extract0r2-bad) (P-blarivee-bad) (6-syclick-bad) (6-Hardway-bad) P-(X-HoriZonUK-bad) (X-teatang-bad)

Q week 21 (X-corvus32-bad) (X-GadgedtAddicted-OK)
R week 22
T week 23
V week 24
W week 25
X week 26
Y week 27

(*) X-user-bad, means 'X' is factory DLX, '6' is factory DL6, 'T' for factory DQT and 'P' for factory DMP, all taken from the first 3 of the serial.
(**) 4th character is half of the year. Will be 'F' for first, 'G' for second half.
(***) 5th character is week of manufacturing from previous table.

ps.- If your serial# starts with DLXFP. You have an iPad2 made at (DLX) factory, is made in the first half of the year (F) and on week 20 (P)
ps2.- post your first 5 characters of your serial and if you have a good backlight or the bleeding problem.
ps3.- any error in the table?, let me know.

Many thanks to User512 for compiling this list, and a massive thanks to him for CONTINUING to put in the time to update as reports come in. Your efforts, User512, do not go unnoticed!

It seems that DLXFK units have the greatest percentage of good screens, at least in this sampling. I guess I lucked out.

Again, your efforts are much appreciated, 512!

Hugh Mann

macrumors member
many thanks to user512 for compiling this list, and a massive thanks to him for continuing to put in the time to update as reports come in. Your efforts, user512, do not go unnoticed!

It seems that dlxfk units have the greatest percentage of good screens, at least in this sampling. I guess i lucked out.

+1

mmo

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2008
Hm, the amount of "replace at all costs" people in here is pretty great.
How many of you have noticed the bleed during normal use if you should be COMPLETELY honest?

I am not defending Apple, but just maybe implying that the problem might not be quite as big as it is made out to in this thread. I think some kind of group mentality arises in these threads that might cause the complaints to go a bit "over the top".
Personally, I have a "medium" bleeder I think. It's not the worst I've seen posted, but certainly not the best, pretty normal I guess. It does annoy me because I have read about the issue online, but I am VERY sure that it would never have bothered me if I had not.

A couple of observations:
1. You shouldn't look at your iPad screen in a totally dark room, it's not good for your eyes
2. The lower the light on the iPad, the longer the battery lasts, so that's a bonus :D
3. How bad would you feel the issue was if you could only turn the brightness up to 50 % ? The iPad actually allows the brightness being turned up VERY high which makes this issue worse
4. AGAIN: would you EVER have noticed it, or at least have been bothered with it, had you NOT read about it online?
5. If it IS noticeable in normal usage then fair enough, it's a problem

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
How many of you have noticed the bleed during normal use if you should be COMPLETELY honest?

I am not defending Apple, but just maybe implying that the problem might not be quite as big as it is made out to in this thread. I think some kind of group mentality arises in these threads that might cause the complaints to go a bit "over the top".
Personally, I have a "medium" bleeder I think. It's not the worst I've seen posted, but certainly not the best, pretty normal I guess. It does annoy me because I have read about the issue online, but I am VERY sure that it would never have bothered me if I had not.

1. You shouldn't look at your iPad screen in a totally dark room, it's not good for your eyes
2. The lower the light on the iPad, the longer the battery lasts, so that's a bonus :D
3. How bad would you feel the issue was if you could only turn the brightness up to 50 % ? The iPad actually allows the brightness being turned up VERY high which makes this issue worse
4. AGAIN: would you EVER have noticed it, or at least have been bothered with it, had you NOT read about it online?

As for me, the bleed in my ORIGINAL unit was noticeable even in normal lighting situations at only 50 percent brightness. I consider that significant. I have posted here many times that I purchased several relatively inexpensive Sony Digital Picture Frames last year and returned two for noticeable light bleed. If I'm not willing to accept that flaw in a relatively inexpensive item, why would I accept it in an iPad that cost me almost 1000 bucks?

viewliners

macrumors member
May 20, 2011

The very first time I heard about this "backlight bleeding issue" was from a retail Apple Store employee. She was able to "exchange" it several times before she found one without any issues. (but that's a perk of for Apple Store employees only... the rest of us are only allowed one exchange only)

head honcho 123

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2008
many thanks to user512 for compiling this list, and a massive thanks to him for continuing to put in the time to update as reports come in. Your efforts, user512, do not go unnoticed!

It seems that dlxfk units have the greatest percentage of good screens, at least in this sampling. I guess i lucked out.

+1

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
I truly believe that the "one exchange only" is, possibly, the "official" policy, but they are given instructions that if somebody challenges it, they are to comply with the customer's wishes.

The reason I say this is that when I brought it in my original iPad 2 just a few hours after I bought it, the very nice Genius informed me of this policy. I challenged it. He excused himself and came back a couple of minutes later telling me that I was absolutely right, and that they would replace until I got a satisfactory unit.

He was awesome...In fact, after finding a good unit...great screen...no discernible bleed; even, vibrant colors; etc., he told me that if I encountered any problems with this unit, to just bring it back.

Just my humble opinion based on experience.

jrolson

macrumors member
May 15, 2011
Got my replacement today (DLXFM), There's still a little bleed on the left side although it's much better than my other one.

I think I will be keeping this one... until they start shipping the flawless ones or if the iPad 3 comes...

Gqsmooth1981

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2011
Backlight issue will be present in some iPad 2's right now unless you call up AppleCare and tell them you don't want to go to a store to have it checked out because it's either there or not plain and simple. Tell them you want an advanced exchange. They Send you a replacement but you have to have a credit card to have $499 put on hold until the defective device is returned. This is what I had to do. I am on my 4th iPad and every one of them had the bleeding light issue, even the brand new one they sent from China. The last time I called intold them I wanted a refurb because any problems with the iPad will be fixed before they use it as a refurb. I was hoping that if there was a light issue on the unit that they noticed it and addressed it. Finally my attempt worked and I have no noticeable bleeding. There is one spot that I have to look real hard to see it but I won't be staring at a blank black screen anytime soon on my iPad. I bought it to use it and not to look for these stupid bleeding light issues. If you don't mind getting a refurb then this is the best option at this time. That is unless you want to wait months and maybe hope Apple sets up a recall.

interwebs

macrumors member
May 26, 2011
I'm kind of on the fence about what to do. I've gone through a few units now with _bad_ backlight bleed and got one now that has some but considerably less than the others. Two somewhat faint areas along the left side, and then a brighter area on the bottom left corner, plus just some mild border bleed and a somewhat brighter region in the corner between one of the faint areas and the brighter area. It is significantly fainter than the bleed on the other screens I had used. This one also has a small blemish on the black plastic(?) border surrounding the glass; maybe a dent of sorts upwards.

I'm considering returning it to try again, but it seems that it's really a crap shoot and on top of bleed people talk about color shift, dimness, yellow spots, and dead pixels. Aside from the backlight bleed, it's beautiful looking. The color temperature is maybe a bit warmer than a cool-toned screen, as some have noted in other threads, but I wouldn't say yellow like some of the screens I've seen (including a "brown box" ipad that appeared to have low bleed). At least to my eyes, it just looks neutral and fairly accurate. This screen is also brighter than the bluer toned screen, which surprised me given that the warmer screens I'd seen in the past were dimmer. I'm not sure which screen this one is, but it kind of reminds me of the look of an apple cinema display.

Overall, not sure about returning it. I'd love to have one that doesn't have any bleed at all like some of the pictures I've seen here, but on the other hand I've seen people with "no bleed" screens that have other problems that may be even more annoying. Kind of in a quandary.

Last edited:

Gqsmooth1981

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2011
As for me, the bleed in my ORIGINAL unit was noticeable even in normal lighting situations at only 50 percent brightness. I consider that significant. I have posted here many times that I purchased several relatively inexpensive Sony Digital Picture Frames last year and returned two for noticeable light bleed. If I'm not willing to accept that flaw in a relatively inexpensive item, why would I accept it in an iPad that cost me almost 1000 bucks?

You're right you shouldn't have to but the issue is there. You have only a few options. 1) Call AppleCare and do what I did and ask for an advanced exchange and a refurb(that way any issues with the refurb that they're sending you is fixed). I was on my 3rd iPad before I thought of this and it worked, I got one with no issues unless I stare at a certain part of my iPad while looking at a blank screen which I don't plan on doing anymore. 2) keep the one you have and deal with it 3) return the damn thing if it's bothering you that much. I didn't buy the 64gb because I don't have the need for it but spending $1k on anythingnis a lot.

I do agree these issues probably wouldn't have came up if it was blown out of proportion on these threads.

cole01

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
I received my iPad around the beginning of this month, third character in the serial number is a 6. I tried to ignore the obvious backlight bleeding as my original iPad had a little but it's annoying me every time I use it. I set up the online mail in service in hopes to get a better made model.
4cf7db10-ef89-4dc3.jpg

mrt209

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
USA/Germany
Backlight issue will be present in some iPad 2's right now unless you call up AppleCare and tell them you don't want to go to a store to have it checked out because it's either there or not plain and simple. Tell them you want an advanced exchange. They Send you a replacement but you have to have a credit card to have $499 put on hold until the defective device is returned. This is what I had to do. I am on my 4th iPad and every one of them had the bleeding light issue, even the brand new one they sent from China. The last time I called intold them I wanted a refurb because any problems with the iPad will be fixed before they use it as a refurb. I was hoping that if there was a light issue on the unit that they noticed it and addressed it. Finally my attempt worked and I have no noticeable bleeding. There is one spot that I have to look real hard to see it but I won't be staring at a blank black screen anytime soon on my iPad. I bought it to use it and not to look for these stupid bleeding light issues. If you don't mind getting a refurb then this is the best option at this time. That is unless you want to wait months and maybe hope Apple sets up a recall.

Thanks for the info, I'm thinking of doing that. At first I thought my screen was good, but its either gotten worse (if possible) or I didn't really pay attention to it. Having started reading at night I've noticed yellow tint and backlight bleeding. I'm not sure about going to my local apple store and returning it since the head genius doesn't like me (have returned 4 iMacs for backlight bleeding and 1 display for dead pixel, not my fault!) so not sure if they'll exchange it and help me get a good one.

I'm thinking of calling Apple and complaining. If I do the advanced exchange do I need to have apple care?

mrt209

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
USA/Germany
Thanks for the info, I'm thinking of doing that. At first I thought my screen was good, but its either gotten worse (if possible) or I didn't really pay attention to it. Having started reading at night I've noticed yellow tint and backlight bleeding. I'm not sure about going to my local apple store and returning it since the head genius doesn't like me (have returned 4 iMacs for backlight bleeding and 1 display for dead pixel, not my fault!) so not sure if they'll exchange it and help me get a good one.

I'm thinking of calling Apple and complaining. If I do the advanced exchange do I need to have apple care?

Here's pics:

Attachments

• ipad-backlight.jpg
    ipad-backlight.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 65
  • ipad-backlight-2.jpg
    ipad-backlight-2.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 56

nealh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Replaced my iPad 2 at Best Buy today. Now I only have backlight bleeding coming out of 1 (maybe 2) areas. I'm not too happy about it. I paid good money for this over-priced tablet, and I want it flawless. I agree with an earlier poster, how can anyone stand for this? I'm not furious or anything, but I am a little disgruntled.

EDIT: Maybe someone's mentioned this already... But why don't we all just hang onto these iPads and wait a month or so till non-screwed up models are released, then go to Apple for a replacement? We'll clearly be within the 1 year warranty, and it'll take less trouble... I hope.

---
Sent from my second generation, tabular Apple product
LOL. I have been waiting with mine since mark this issue to be fixed. I notice my light bleed initially when I connected to iTunes for activation.

Apple's QC sucks. :(

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles

Don't take any nonsense from that Genius. Call Apple FIRST and set up a trouble ticket. They can make the Genius appointment but have them document that you have been hassled by this Genius previously. I had problems with a Genius at Apple Store at The Grove in Los Angeles. Complained about him to Apple and in the same call, made an appointment at another store. I was treated very well at the new store, and I think it had something to do with the notes in my record. I could be wrong, but best of luck.

head honcho 123

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2008
I received my iPad around the beginning of this month, third character in the serial number is a 6. I tried to ignore the obvious backlight bleeding as my original iPad had a little but it's annoying me every time I use it. I set up the online mail in service in hopes to get a better made model. Image

that's pretty bad

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
You're right you shouldn't have to but the issue is there. You have only a few options. 1) Call AppleCare and do what I did and ask for an advanced exchange and a refurb(that way any issues with the refurb that they're sending you is fixed). I was on my 3rd iPad before I thought of this and it worked, I got one with no issues unless I stare at a certain part of my iPad while looking at a blank screen which I don't plan on doing anymore. 2) keep the one you have and deal with it 3) return the damn thing if it's bothering you that much. I didn't buy the 64gb because I don't have the need for it but spending $1k on anythingnis a lot.

I do agree these issues probably wouldn't have came up if it was blown out of proportion on these threads.

Fortunately, for my 1K, I scored a perfect unit on the second try...in fact, I went right back the same day as the purchase of the original...but it still bothers me that people are feeling that they have to "settle." The bleed on some of the units posted in this forum is just appalling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.